• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Juanitos 2016 Grow

List
My plan is to have a smaller number of varieties with 10+ of each plant so i can get a decent harvest.

wholesale aji gold
wholesale hab choc
wholesale hab mustard
wholesale hab peach
wholesale hab white bullet
wholesale hab paper lantern
wholesale manzano
CARDI moruga red
CARDI west indes red
CARDI scorpion red
CARDI scotch bonnet (moa)
Feltrin bico biquinho
Feltrin ouro cumari do para 
Feltrin malaguetinha 
Feltrin bishop hat
Tastynl choc nagabrain f3 
Tastynl scotch brain f4
Tastynl bbg red
Tastynl bbg yel
Tastynl bbg br
Tastynl bog9
Semillas aji pineapple
Semillas aji starfish
Semillas aji omnicolor
Semillas santa rosa blanco PI 257142
Semillas trinidad perfume
Semillas red bhut II
Semillas peach bhut
Semillas choc bhut
Semillas yel moruga s
Semillas choc moruga s
Semillas primo
steve sb7j

i have some more stuff i'll start in smaller quantity just to try them out. (like cool crosses i get from seed train)

phase 0: PreGermination
first 2 weeks

8oz deli containers
paper towel
water + chamomile tea + potassium nitrate

phase 1: Indoors
January - May

area:
small  room(40sft) in shed
reflectix radiant barrier to insulate walls / floor
12 x 4'x2' shelves (made from 2x4 posts, 1x1 rails, 1x4 furring strip shelf support, OSB shelf tops)
capacity ~3500
radiant heater utilitech
tower fan blows on heater to heat faster
hurricane oscillating wall fan to circulate air in room
16' of 5630 light strip on each shelf powered with 240w psu on each shelf unit(powers 4 shelf)

containers:
1020 tray
72 cell starting tray
later into 606 jumbo inserts

media:
Berger.ca custom fast draining mix (extra pine bark, rice hulls)

irrigation:
hand watered, bottom watering using 1020 trays

nutrients:
masterblend tomato formula (low dosage)

phase 2: Outdoors
May - November

area:
outside
ground will be covered in black plastic (to prevent weeds)
capacity ???

containers:
5 or 7 gallon viagrow plastic grow bags

media:
DIY 5-1-1 mix

irrigataion:
mixrite 1% fertilizer injector
1g/h drippers

nutrients:
chemgro tomato formula
CANO3
MGSO4

links
1st transplant
1.5 month old

great setup.
Keep us posted.
Pregermination ; do you plant them as this stage?
 As in the photo above.?
Time for the next video. :pray:  :party:

karoo said:
great setup.
Keep us posted.
Pregermination ; do you plant them as this stage?
 As in the photo above.?
Time for the next video. :pray:  :party:
they will completely sprout in the container (like with little green leaves) so i will wait a few more days for more of them to pop.
the longer i wait more chance for mold though... and i have to plant 3000 plants so i should probably start soon lol.

I noticed your grow list and am interested in hearing about your CARDI Scotch Bonnets.   Do you know where CARDI obtained their seeds from?

Jamison said:
I noticed your grow list and am interested in hearing about your CARDI Scotch Bonnets.   Do you know where CARDI obtained their seeds from?
It says they were bred in Jamacia. Now they are grown / selected from stock in jamacia + antigua and barbuda
says they have been growing them for 20 years, i don't know their original source. 

they are partnered with MoA

CARDI is listed as an official source on publication by MoA

Great list,pics & plan Juanito
I am interested in the CARDI scotch bonnets the CARDI moruga red is interesting are you going to sell plants again this year?

got some poppin, some are doing nothing. gotta love the wait.

LjToUFq.jpg

gicdHNZ.jpg

RcopQMO.jpg

juanitos said:
they will completely sprout in the container (like with little green leaves) so i will wait a few more days for more of them to pop.
the longer i wait more chance for mold though... and i have to plant 3000 plants so i should probably start soon lol.
Looking good!
Dang, 3000 plants! How many did you grow last year?

so seed germinating is not going very well this year.
only thing i changed is added a little potassium nitrate(1 tsp per gallon) which wasn't really needed but is supposed to help germ rate... not that i needed help with germ rate..... just me messing with things i should just leave alone <,<
i just added it to the solution in the germ cups because i was too lazy to do the proper process, where your really just supposed to soak it 24hrs then rinse and wet them distilled water. Anything above 24hrs will actually lower germination rate according to a paper i read... whoops

anyway i'm just planting them into the soil regardless of their state now, hopefully most will be good.

here's a couple of the better ones
Gnylx53.jpg

So yeah it seems i'm behind a couple weeks. all good though not a real rush.

I ran out of 1020 trays so had to order more whoops lol

i'm having a planting party(me & my friend PBR) tonight to try and finish everything.

watering very often to make sure the soil stays damp while they are getting established.
about 2 quarts of water per tray (bottom water just pour it in) per 36-48 hours
i'm using a big cooler on wheels to haul the water from spigot since the hose is frozen i can't just leave it hooked up and all..

XJVYzoy.jpg

So about my seeds in deli container seed starting method.. It works and is great for smaller growers. Very fun to see the plant in its infacy and can transplant them optimally best position and all and you will have 0 helmet heads. 

But when i have to transplant thousands of them i don't think its very efficient.
Next year i will get 200 cell trays which fit the same space as the 72 cell. and if i have blanks thats ok i'll just transplant the ones that pop up.
This is more expensive as i have to have another insert and waste a little bit of seed starting mix.. but will be much much faster.

juanitos said:
So yeah it seems i'm behind a couple weeks. all good though not a real rush.

I ran out of 1020 trays so had to order more whoops lol

i'm having a planting party(me & my friend PBR) tonight to try and finish everything.

watering very often to make sure the soil stays damp while they are getting established.
about 2 quarts of water per tray (bottom water just pour it in) per 36-48 hours
i'm using a big cooler on wheels to haul the water from spigot since the hose is frozen i can't just leave it hooked up and all..

XJVYzoy.jpg

So about my seeds in deli container seed starting method.. It works and is great for smaller growers. Very fun to see the plant in its infacy and can transplant them optimally best position and all and you will have 0 helmet heads. 

But when i have to transplant thousands of them i don't think its very efficient.
Next year i will get 200 cell trays which fit the same space as the 72 cell. and if i have blanks thats ok i'll just transplant the ones that pop up.
This is more expensive as i have to have another insert and waste a little bit of seed starting mix.. but will be much much faster.
Wow,That's a lot of plants. :drunk:

juanitos said:

phase 0: PreGermination
first 2 weeks

8oz deli containers
paper towel
water + chamomile tea + potassium nitrate

Do you ever have problems getting the tap root out from the paper towel?

Back