• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Juanitos 2016 Grow

List
My plan is to have a smaller number of varieties with 10+ of each plant so i can get a decent harvest.

wholesale aji gold
wholesale hab choc
wholesale hab mustard
wholesale hab peach
wholesale hab white bullet
wholesale hab paper lantern
wholesale manzano
CARDI moruga red
CARDI west indes red
CARDI scorpion red
CARDI scotch bonnet (moa)
Feltrin bico biquinho
Feltrin ouro cumari do para 
Feltrin malaguetinha 
Feltrin bishop hat
Tastynl choc nagabrain f3 
Tastynl scotch brain f4
Tastynl bbg red
Tastynl bbg yel
Tastynl bbg br
Tastynl bog9
Semillas aji pineapple
Semillas aji starfish
Semillas aji omnicolor
Semillas santa rosa blanco PI 257142
Semillas trinidad perfume
Semillas red bhut II
Semillas peach bhut
Semillas choc bhut
Semillas yel moruga s
Semillas choc moruga s
Semillas primo
steve sb7j

i have some more stuff i'll start in smaller quantity just to try them out. (like cool crosses i get from seed train)

phase 0: PreGermination
first 2 weeks

8oz deli containers
paper towel
water + chamomile tea + potassium nitrate

phase 1: Indoors
January - May

area:
small  room(40sft) in shed
reflectix radiant barrier to insulate walls / floor
12 x 4'x2' shelves (made from 2x4 posts, 1x1 rails, 1x4 furring strip shelf support, OSB shelf tops)
capacity ~3500
radiant heater utilitech
tower fan blows on heater to heat faster
hurricane oscillating wall fan to circulate air in room
16' of 5630 light strip on each shelf powered with 240w psu on each shelf unit(powers 4 shelf)

containers:
1020 tray
72 cell starting tray
later into 606 jumbo inserts

media:
Berger.ca custom fast draining mix (extra pine bark, rice hulls)

irrigation:
hand watered, bottom watering using 1020 trays

nutrients:
masterblend tomato formula (low dosage)

phase 2: Outdoors
May - November

area:
outside
ground will be covered in black plastic (to prevent weeds)
capacity ???

containers:
5 or 7 gallon viagrow plastic grow bags

media:
DIY 5-1-1 mix

irrigataion:
mixrite 1% fertilizer injector
1g/h drippers

nutrients:
chemgro tomato formula
CANO3
MGSO4

links
1st transplant
1.5 month old

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Holy crap, your grow has come a long way in two years! Lookin' real pro, man. Is your garden going to be in the same space as last season, or did you acquire more space?
asked around and no, if i want more space have to buy land i guess.

I will use same space but use containers instead of inground.

juanitos said:

What size containers? I bet Greenhouse Megastore likes you this year :)
JoeFish said:
I'm going to this method after gettin poor germ rates in soil blocks.
For smaller scale it's pretty great. I like it because you can see them and don't waste space in cells with a seed that's dead.

What's the method for fishing them out? Do you just pull them with your finger or grab the seed coat with tweezers?

Gotcha! Thanks alot!
If you could link an article or maybe do a video? [emoji6]

I'm going to do what your doing. These reaper seeds I bought were expensive. [emoji33]

juanitos said:

Wow that is a lot of plants, I guess you were pretty  successful in selling them last year.  Just out of curiosity, and sorry if it was mentioned before and i missed it, why are you doing containers this year instead of in the ground?

I have had so so success witth paper towels in a zip lock. Only let them germ til the root sticks out about a quarter of an inch. then plant them, always sprout after that for me. However, I lose a lot of seeds in there, possible due to an excess of water.

I bought some small containers from the dollar store. Trying to use those with 4 seeds in each to see if I have better success.

How are you liking your lights Juanito? I have been having fun, and challenges, soldering mine. Good times!

ok joe i'll make video.

yeah had more success selling plants that i did selling pods! seems like jim duffy, ccn, chilewoman, ajdrew, and fords fiery foods are my competition. I'll be finding my niche and providing varieties they dont have (like imported stuff from brazil and cardi).
containers because last year it rained for a month straight about (i'm sure you remember) and everything slowed way down because my plot is clay and doesn't drain super good. I can control the mix in the containers and they are above the water line (unless flooding lol) so they will drain fast, even if it rains for days straight... Also i noticed it just seems like the will fruit faster in containers than in ground. In ground it seems like they are spreading roots and getting planted in for all time(like in tropical regions they came from). Pots limit this activity and make them focus on fruiting as they get rootbound and have nowhere else to expand roots too.

I got the deli containers pretty cheap on amazon. good for storing dried peppers or whatever if you wash them after you seed germ in them.
the jury is still out on the lights! haven't had too much happening yet.

juanitos said:
ok joe i'll make video.

yeah had more success selling plants that i did selling pods! seems like jim duffy, ccn, chilewoman, ajdrew, and fords fiery foods are my competition. I'll be finding my niche and providing varieties they dont have (like imported stuff from brazil and cardi).
containers because last year it rained for a month straight about (i'm sure you remember) and everything slowed way down because my plot is clay and doesn't drain super good. I can control the mix in the containers and they are above the water line (unless flooding lol) so they will drain fast, even if it rains for days straight... Also i noticed it just seems like the will fruit faster in containers than in ground. In ground it seems like they are spreading roots and getting planted in for all time(like in tropical regions they came from). Pots limit this activity and make them focus on fruiting as they get rootbound and have nowhere else to expand roots too.

I got the deli containers pretty cheap on amazon. good for storing dried peppers or whatever if you wash them after you seed germ in them.
the jury is still out on the lights! haven't had too much happening yet.
Ah, makes perfect sense.  It seems like you had some problems with weeds i was thinking maybe that had something to do with it.

JoeFish said:
What's the method for fishing them out? Do you just pull them with your finger or grab the seed coat with tweezers?
If they're out of the seed I use my fingers. I usually try to get them in the soil after the tap root is about 1/4" long. Then I use tweezers and just put them in my hole with the root pointing down.

so i had extra cumari seeds so i just dumped em all on there. lol now theres like 6 plants in this one cell
3bcK9hF.jpg

juanitos said:
so i've been really slacking since i had to finish drywalling our living room this past couple of weeks. Planted 4 more trays today. Waiting on seed train / c2c to get a few more seeds.

3b5dETm.jpg

Ho-lee shit that is a mess of seedlings! May the best plant win.

3d1c0c03c37a041bd9956aa82478f55a.jpg

Would you let these develop cotys then transplant? They are just sending out tap roots. I've never used this method and I'm getting nervous because all my eggs are in this basket.
Also when should they go under lights?

Back