• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

just a question

I will admit I collect, but in a VERY focused manner. Uncle Big is correct in his post. I wouldn't even THINK about buying some of that bizarro abstract art, like a red dot on a canvas for $10,000, but someone WILL, that makes it collectible. I don't look down at anyone collecting anything. If it gives someone a 'feel good' feeling, then so be it.

imaguitargod said:
Unless the bullsh*tter who's receiving the bullsh*t is going along with the bullsh*t in order to profit from the bullsh*tter's bullsh*t. But little does he know that the bullsh*tter who's spouting the bullsh*t knows that the bullsh*tter knows he's spouting bullsh*t and in the end sh*t don't amount to much....I think...

Are you off your meds today Passow or what?
Although, that did actually kinda sorta make sense. I think.
;) :) :P :lol:

uncle big - I'm not a collector of anything right now, I was in my kid years of a band or some stupid things, but I grew up & realized they're not worth squat only to people that are foolish enough to pay outrageous prices for something thats not worth squat, IMO.
as for comic books, IMO only good for lighting a fire. same as baseball cards, & what kind of grown man collects pictures of other men ? :)

like another person said, his collection of comic books are claimed to be worth X amount of $$ but couldnt get that dollar figure now. why is that ? since they're only worth those dollar figures to only those people & you're riding a wave in a sence for what they are worth, one day they're worth alot the next day they're not worth squat. & you might just wasted some seriuos money.

as for art, yes I agree some are not worth their prices, BUT several are! & almost everyone likes a good picture or piece of art, you might say you dont but I believe thats a lie. & if you had money to spare you might buy some, heck are you trying to tell me you have no pictures in your house right now ?
oh sorry I kinda collect signed wildlife pictures, BUT not true collectables, & I wouldnt spend more than $200 on a picture.

what do I consider a collectable ? something with some significant value to our hertitage of the country or mankind. several things fall into that catagory., or rare gems/metals

& if I was willing to spend $400+ on a bottle of hot sauce, I would buy some gold instead, since thats a guarantee to go up in price over time AND there's a bigger market of people that would buy the gold vs buying some hot sauce, which you never know one day people might come to realize its just old unedible hot sauce in the bottle with a funky melted wax on the bottle.
& for why the price jump so fast on the hot sauce, is because its a false market value, just waiting for a crash. just like whats been stated before about the comic books not getting what some people claim they are worth.

& FYI I was being a smarta$$ about the bud glasses & mtn dew.

Nice thread guys...Nicely put Big.

chilehunter said:
I guess I struck a nerve on some of you :lol:
if you think a bottle of hot sauce is a collectable, then nock your socks off & go for broke.
it has no historical value, & cannot be enjoyed by all walks of life(people), its not a antique, & some other things I cant think of right now that would classify whats a collectable.

As far as striking a nerve with everyone, it all falls back on how you stated your opinion, which you are entitled to as I am.

chilehunter said:
uncle big - I'm not a collector of anything right now, I was in my kid years of a band or some stupid things, but I grew up & realized they're not worth squat only to people that are foolish enough to pay outrageous prices for something thats not worth squat, IMO.

"people that are foolish enough" & "not worth squat" those are the things good forum threads are made up of, most would probably agree with you on the collectible argument to a degree but when you are a collector, whether of hot sauce or to the extreme of fine classic cars its being told your foolish for something that you enjoy and gives you a getaway from the hustle and bustle of a busy day or week and bonds you with a group of people that you might not of had anything in common with during an 8-5 job sitting in a cubicle. Kinda like this forum, for some they look forward to it every day. IMO.

Not sure on comic books, but on sports cards you can usually get 40% on book value. So if you paid $3.00 for a pack of 10 cards and you pulled out a card worth (book value) $400.00 I think thats still a profit. and Im sitting on 40,000 cards that I collected since childhood that I enjoyed collecting with my dad and also with my 2 sons...sounds like "history". Again Chilehunter...like you this is just my opinion. Trade you a Nolan Ryan rookie card for your Bud and mountain dew....

It's a compulsion. Often unexplainable by even the compulsive person. I have a compulsion to buy die-cast Shelby Cobras. I think it's because I wasn't able to buy a real one. And I have the knowledge to know I wouldn't be alive if I had because I ALWAYS push the limits. ALL limits.
It's why I'll taste the extracts that take my breathe away. When i get over it, I take another taste.
I have some collectible ??? sauces. Why? I don't know. I took one of an early run of zero and Defcon1 that's signed and stuck them in the wife's display case. I even have one of the VERY few unwaxed zero's from the 1st. batch that John said he would wax, seal, and sign the bottle. Have I done it? No. As it is, it's a rarity from the 1st. batch. Will it be rarer if I get it signed and sealed? I don't know.
Can I sell it? Don't know. Will I sell it? Don't know.
Am I sure of my real name? I don't even think I know that after this post!

chiliman said:
Good news: Mountain Dew (like Twinkies) never breaks down and will be consumable even in the event of a nuclear explosion. Nothing left but cockroaches and this here collectable Mountain Dew.

Scary. Reminds me of the movie Super Size Me when they do the rot test on McD's burger and fries.

phil - thats a interesting bottle of hot sauce since its clear. but other than that I just dont see the point in consuming gold flakes in any form of food/drink. gold has no flavour or really no benifits to your body (that I know of) its like eating a $100 bill - whats the point ?

but back to the main subject, I guess to each their own, me personally I have a small collection of hot sauce bottles going on BUT only of the hot sauces I've used/ate.
everyone else I hope the best for you with your hot sauce investments.

chilehunter said:
phil - thats a interesting bottle of hot sauce since its clear. but other than that I just dont see the point in consuming gold flakes in any form of food/drink. gold has no flavour or really no benifits to your body (that I know of) its like eating a $100 bill - whats the point ?

I totally agree. Was just making a funny.

chilehunter said:
but back to the main subject, I guess to each their own, me personally I have a small collection of hot sauce bottles going on BUT only of the hot sauces I've used/ate.
everyone else I hope the best for you with your hot sauce investments.

I do the same thing. I wouldn't even think about purchasing a $300 bottle of hot sauce. In fact, i almost guarantee i'd never spend any more than $10-$12 for an individual bottle of hot sauce.

To each his own, i guess.

"ok I have this question for some of you
after looking at some hot sauces on the website linked from this forum, I come across some pretty high priced hot sauces.
1st who really buys these ? & since its so fricking hot its not a every meal use thing in huge quanities either. wouldnt a cheaper hot sauce work just as good! :lol: "

Well. When it comes to a $5.00 bottle, versus a $20.00 bottle, the $20.00 will last MUCH longer.

Take Carribean Pepper sauce, Kato's Hemi Sauce or even Blue's Habanero Reserve for instance. I know some chili-heads that sit down and just a bottle of the stuff, all by itself. 1 sitting!;)

Then take Jersey Death at $20.00 ( with shipping). I keep an airplane liquor bottle in the car for whenever I eat out. It can last months!:lol:

Worth is relative - why collect anything....cars, sea shells, its all the same but rarity makes $ increase same way an artists' work is worth more when they're dead. A good chilli sauce, a great one, is no longer a product - it's an art form.
Piccasso painted like an old master in his teens and progressively got more like a 5 yr old finger painter as he got older. Anyone could copy a late Piccasso, or a Warhol, Van Gough or Pollock, but someone conceives the idea & that is the artist. Mozart ended up writing his music while deaf.....Same will happen to chilli sauce makers & their taste buds I think ;) But this doesn't mean their artistic (I do see cooking as an art form ) talent wanes.

bentalphanerd said:
Worth is relative - why collect anything....cars, sea shells, its all the same but rarity makes $ increase same way an artists' work is worth more when they're dead. A good chilli sauce, a great one, is no longer a product - it's an art form.
Piccasso painted like an old master in his teens and progressively got more like a 5 yr old finger painter as he got older. Anyone could copy a late Piccasso, or a Warhol, Van Gough or Pollock, but someone conceives the idea & that is the artist. Mozart ended up writing his music while deaf.....Same will happen to chilli sauce makers & their taste buds I think :) But this doesn't mean their artistic (I do see cooking as an art form ) talent wanes.

Beautiful post man.

...sniff....

Back