• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Just got a macro lens to play with

Well its not the most awesome shot but it was the first thing I thought off since there is nothing else around the house that I can think of that might make for an interseting shot. Well I'm still learning. There are probably a million things :)

Anyway I think its pretty cool. Slightly soft here and ther because I was doing it hand held instead of a tripod but I'm happy so far. Just wanted to make sure the lens (100mm canon macro) has no major focus issues or problems.

flower.jpg

superb shot, svtcontour

100mm macro canon is one of the best macro lens and focal point out there.

Great pic! Macro lenses are indispensable almost. Is the pic taken with a ring light? What body is it on?

I took it with a 420ex flash on a canon 20D body. I think I could have gotten closer if I did have a proper light ring or flash. Next purchase :)

I took it with a 420ex flash on a canon 20D body. I think I could have gotten closer if I did have a proper light ring or flash. Next purchase :)
A good lens makes the world of difference - I bought a good condition 300D body(made in 2004)second hand for $230 and bought two decent Tamron lenses. The whole package is way better than a new comparable camera and the crappy lens kits. IMO!
Look forward to seeing more.

I like it! I bought a Canon 500D about 6 months ago (haven't read the instruction book yet, just starting but it even takes awesome shots on auto mode) and am half way through saving for the same lens as yours. I will be taking lots of chilli and bug pics! Keep on showing us your pics so I can get jealous in the meantime.

I had a chance to take a picture of a small jumping spider which was sitting on a rock that was on my window ledge. Cute in a strange way :)

5.jpg

That spider pic is amazing(and scary). Your a pro with the lens already. :)

Edit: Wait a sec I now see you live in Toronto. :eek: I thought Australia or something after seeing that spider. I live an hour away from you ...I'm afraid to go outside now.

LOL that is too funny. Actually the intereting thing is that I used to hate insects, but once i forced myself to look at it from a different perspective (that they must be more terrified of me due to mysize), the dislike slowly went away. Now I have no issues holding an insect in my hands. This little spider was definitely trying to hide from me but I finally got a shot of it.

PS thanks for teh compliment. I am still trying to learn the art of properly framing a shot and making it look appealing. Its a fun and time consuming hobby thats for sure but it can be rewarding :)

That spider pic is amazing(and scary). Your a pro with the lens already. :)

Edit: Wait a sec I now see you live in Toronto. :eek: I thought Australia or something after seeing that spider. I live an hour away from you ...I'm afraid to go outside now.

Ya, the ones that hop around and move really fast. I also find them on the brickwork of the house. I guess they like it because they can sort of blend in. Evertime I find any spider indoor (of any species), I pick it up and take it to my pepper plants which are indoor. I figure the more predators around my peppers, the better :) I just wish they'd work for aphids. I am battling them but they are under control with weekly sprays in the shower.

Is that spider those little ones that are black and white and hang around on window screens?

Back