• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Karoo 2018/19 Glog African Adventure

Hi everybody.
Starting early this year . i just can't help myself, first frost hits and all i can think about is germinating a few seeds.

Germination:
In small pots with coco coir/compost 50/50.
In insulated container with heat mat .
Temp 28-30 C.

Seedlings:
Will stay in small pots , fits in trays , easy to move . For about 3 months.
I have a small , wooden grow box/cabinat with cfl lights.

Grow area:
two areas under 40% shadenet/birdproofing .
Biggest area, two one meter high raised beds , filled with 90% pure compost 
Second area , large containers partially buried in the ground to keep them cool.

Soil:
germination , 50/50 , cococoir/compost
after that 90% compost with added  ash , spent coffee grounds , fine eggshells etc.
Compost is my own , from garden cuttings , leaves and branches , just left in a hole in the ground for at least 2 years.

No added nutes . The year I am going to experiment with sheep droppings from my Brother-in-law'sfarm. Real 2-5 year old droppings from the shaving shed.

Stay tuned , pics will follow.

RoyBoy said:
Awesome stuff Jacques! You have made an early start mate! Up here in Pretoria, I have 6 x Rocoto Reds on the mat sown last Friday 28th June (they should make an appearance any day soon) and have trial started 2 x Moruga Scorpions this afternoon. I have a few plants in pots that I am over wintering in the hope they get an early spring start. In fact 17 of them ....LOL.....and they all get carried into my garage every night. 2 of them were my late start Pimiento da Padrones from 2017, as well as Peach Bhuts, Trinidad Douglahs, Naga Kings and my surviving Carolina Reaper.....together with the Pusa Jwalas which are still fruiting in JULY - unbelievable given the Cold we have experienced this week!!!! At our house, around 0deg C current daily minimums, and we went down to -2 on Tuesday......will be watching your progress!!!!
Thanks for reading and watching.
It sounds like you have all bases covered, with overwinter peppers and new peppers.
I am all stocked up with super hots in powders and sauces and freezer.

This year I will be concentrating on edibles, anything that can be eaten as is.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Way ahead of previous years. I would usually be sorting seeds at this time of the year, but I thought I would start a bit early this year.

Did a lot of potting up today. I have been germinating in batches, so I have lots of different sizes of plants.

Here is about half in my very ghetto grow box, very effective!

Average temperature 25 - 30 Celsius.
Lights 24/7.

a61f518563b8ed6c5a66859b783f19b9.jpg

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

chelicerae said:
Cool ghetto box, looks very effective : )  Active in, passive out?
Thank you , yes it does work well , this is the third year in a row .
Every year I make a few small changes. This year's adition , a small fan 

Day 34 since planting seeds  , you just have to love the growth of these Annuums.
I can't believe I am looking at buds on my Pimiento de Padron and Jimmy nardello plants .
CFL lights on 24/7 , 30 degrees Celsius in the grow box ,

Note the Aji Cito reaching for the lights.

IMG_20180715_170700 (2).jpg

IMG_20180715_170749 (2).jpg

I finally have a grow list for my 2018/2019 season . Due to good crops in the previous two seasons I am well stocked in Super Hot powders and sauces.
Last year was all mostly dedicated to Baccatums , but this year will be leaning towards edibles , with a few other just because I always want to grow new peppers.

C. Pubescens
Rocotto Red

C. Frutescens
Madagascar Malagueta

C. Baccatum
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cito

C. Chinens
Choc Fatali
Peach Bhut Jolokia

C. Annuum
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Bell
Jimmy Nardello
Pimento de Padron
Paprika
Guajillo

karoo said:
I finally have a grow list for my 2018/2019 season . Due to good crops in the previous two seasons I am well stocked in Super Hot powders and sauces.
Last year was all mostly dedicated to Baccatums , but this year will be leaning towards edibles , with a few other just because I always want to grow new peppers.

Your list looks good. You are thinking about the same as me. I have many superhots this year but next year I will have none(unless something really interesting comes along). Now that I have my freeze dryer and can preserve the stuff for 25 years I will be set as far as hot powders and peppers. My 2019 grow will likely have nothing hotter than a Habanero, and my quest for what I consider to be the sweetest pepper will continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

karoo said:
You said Freeze dryer and I just go green all over.
Aren't those really expensive.?
I bought mine here. https://harvestright.com/
I got it when they had one of their sales going. I believe I paid at the time about $3800 for the large stainless steel model. I look at it as a long term investment, or hobby money put to a little better use. I really like it but they do require a small amount of maintenance that some people dont like.

My makeshift grow box have been overcrowded for more than a week .
I started about 4 weeks earlier this season . I topped them all about 2 weeks ago and they are blooming again .
This is not the textbook on how to do it, but I'm chuffed with my results with a 3x3x3 feet cube built with old wooden shutters and some CFL lights.

The Pimento de Padron wants to flower so badly , I'm just going to let it be . About 3 more weeks to the last frost.

IMG_20180808_140319.jpg

IMG_20180808_140410.jpg

I have really neglected my Glog and other plants in favour of the Aji Citos plants and growdown.
This is now three months since germination and most of my Annuums/edibles are in the ground in the raised beds under the shadenet and birdproofing. I should be able to harvest Jalapenos , Jimmy Nardellos and Padron by next week ,( Already fried a couple of Padrons last week)

Also podding up , the Aji Amarillo and Aji Cito.

IMG_20180914_073427.jpg

IMG_20180914_073344.jpg

IMG_20180914_073503.jpg

Back