• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Kimchi

I didn't see a specific thread in here about the delicious dish that is kimchi, so I figured I would start one. I'm sure that there are some members on this forum with some really special recipes that they might want to share.

I made some kimchi tonight, since I got gifted a small batch wine kit from a friend for Christmas, and I now have a great new fermentation vessel.

Use 2 head of napa cabbage, korean raddishes, carrots, green onions, garlic, fish sauce, hot red pepper powder, carolina reaper powder, ginger powder, brown sugar, and rice flour.

Cut and salt the cabbage dry, and flip it every 30 minutes, soaking the cabbage in the saltwater that begins to accumulate at the bottom of the bowl. Do that for 2 hours, then rinse it 6 times with water to remove all of the salt.

Boil 2 tablespoons of rice flour with 2.5 cups of water, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, until it becomes thick.

Dice up the carrots, green onions, and raddishes, then added them to a mixing bowl with 2.5 cups of red chile powder, and 2 tablespoons of Carolina Reaper powder.

Once cooled, put the rice flour sugar into a bkender with 4 cloves of garlic, and a tablespoon of ginger powder. Liquify it. Add that to the mixing bowl with the veggies and chile powder, and add 3/4 cup of fish sauce. Mix very thoroughly with your hands, and wear gloves!

Add the cabbage to the mix, and work it with your hands til everything is covered 100% with the sauce.

Put everything in jars/jugs with airlocks, and let ferment for 5 days in a dark place of the house. Put it in the fridge when it tastes to your liking, and eat it!

Attachments

• 20160126_181928.jpg
    20160126_181928.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 20160126_210712.jpg
    20160126_210712.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 139
  • 20160126_211751.jpg
    20160126_211751.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 135
Pauly posted a link to a girl Maangchi who has a blog and YT vids.  She's a hoot!  and inspired me to do another kimchi!

I was intending to use Napa cabbage, but the store had Napa for $1.99/# and regular cabbage for .39/#... regular cabbage it is!
IMG_5146.JPG

The Process-
chop or slice cabbage
soak for 30 minutes in cold water.
Drain.
Toss with kosher salt at 1 cup per 10 pounds of cabbage.  Leave the salt on for 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes (this part of the recipe is for using napa cabbage quarters like in Maangchi's recipe.  I tossed about every 15 minutes for 1 hour, the smaller pieces seemed to be working up quicker.)

Rinse in cold water 3 times.
IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5152.JPG

The Porridge-
Maangchi makes what she calles "Porridge"-
3c water
1/2c sweet rice flour (this seemed too much, I'd start with 1/4 cup)

Simmer until translucent, add 1/4c sugar, cool.

Run 1 c garlic, 1 medium onion, and a 2" piece of ginger through food processor until finely ground.
Toss with 1c fish sauce/tamari/soy, 2 bunches green onion, 1 lg diakon, 2 lg carrots, 1/2-2.5 cups red pepper flakes.

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

After cabbage is rinsed and drained, toss everything together and pack into tubs.  This recipe made about 2 gallons/4L.  The rectangle tubs are 8 cups each.

IMG_5154.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

last pic shows some sauce in the tubs, I'm hoping that overnight, more liquid will come out of the cabbage.  I think this batch is darker because I used tamari instead of fish sauce.  I left one small tup out on the counter, looking forward to seeing if it's bubbling in the morning!

salsalady said:
Pauly posted a link to a girl Maangchi who has a blog and YT vids.  She's a hoot!  and inspired me to do another kimchi!

I was intending to use Napa cabbage, but the store had Napa for $1.99/# and regular cabbage for .39/#... regular cabbage it is!
IMG_5146.JPG

The Process-
chop or slice cabbage
soak for 30 minutes in cold water.
Drain.
Toss with kosher salt at 1 cup per 10 pounds of cabbage.  Leave the salt on for 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes (this part of the recipe is for using napa cabbage quarters like in Maangchi's recipe.  I tossed about every 15 minutes for 1 hour, the smaller pieces seemed to be working up quicker.)

Rinse in cold water 3 times.
IMG_5148.JPG
IMG_5152.JPG

The Porridge-
Maangchi makes what she calles "Porridge"-
3c water
1/2c sweet rice flour (this seemed too much, I'd start with 1/4 cup)

Simmer until translucent, add 1/4c sugar, cool.

Run 1 c garlic, 1 medium onion, and a 2" piece of ginger through food processor until finely ground.
Toss with 1c fish sauce/tamari/soy, 2 bunches green onion, 1 lg diakon, 2 lg carrots, 1/2-2.5 cups red pepper flakes.

IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5151.JPG

After cabbage is rinsed and drained, toss everything together and pack into tubs.  This recipe made about 2 gallons/4L.  The rectangle tubs are 8 cups each.

IMG_5154.JPG
IMG_5155.JPG
IMG_5156.JPG
IMG_5158.JPG

last pic shows some sauce in the tubs, I'm hoping that overnight, more liquid will come out of the cabbage.  I think this batch is darker because I used tamari instead of fish sauce.  I left one small tup out on the counter, looking forward to seeing if it's bubbling in the morning!
Looks great salsalady!

Thanks, TGCM! 

The bites I tasted while making this were pretty good, and not too hot, but maybe too salty.  We'll see how it is in the morning, and if the sauce is too salty....well, maybe pour some off and add water, or use the potato trick to leach out some salt. 

Hmmmmmm!!!!!!  chipotle kimchi......Oh I could totally see that with regular cabbage (not napa) slivers of onion (not ground up with the garlic and ginger)  No Ginger........

Dang It, BOSS!!!!  I don't need another product to make!!!!!!! 

But!!! I will get another bit of cabbage and make another batch of chipotle kimchi.  I'm not sure if the starch in the rice flour makes any difference to the process, I'm thinking it doesn't.  Looking at the process of the original recipe with wedges of napa, it probably helps to serve to keep the sauce in place while packing the wedges into jars.  With smaller pieces or shreds, that shouldn't be a problem.

Batch#2....tomorrow......

PS- thanks for the idea, Pookie!

I'mma gonna get this going tomorrow, and we're doing another hot sauce class this sunday so that will be a great opportunity for others to taste it.  :dance:

chipotle kimchi on tacos....is that what they call fusion cooking?  :lol: 

Ingredients-
Green cabbage
Scallions and yellow onion
Red radish
Fresh Cilantro...Yes or No????
Carrot
Garlic
Pineapple ??? Y? N?

Tamari
Chipotle powder
Cumin
Chili powder? Y? N?

Yes or No on fresh cilantro, crushed pineapple, chili powder?

Add a bit of brown sugar, kick the pineapple to the curb, ditch the cumin, and cilantro, on fence.

Nah cilantro will get slimy.

A lot of kimchi or other ferments have fruit. Apples, raisins, Asian pears...pineapple with the juice would get some sweetness.

I was thinking of generic chili powder (not a specific Chile) and chipotle powder.

OK...nix the cilantro. That might be an "add when served". I was hoping because of the green onions maybe the cilantro would work. Maybe dried cilantro...

No cumin? Really???? :mope:

I like kimchi simple, I wouldn't go all crazy, but up to you. It's like slaw, there are many slaw recipes, even pineapple slaw or ginger slaw, but they are still on the simpler side. I was thinking more along the lines of a chipolte kimchi as in add some chipoltes maybe some brown sugar, I can see pineapple possibly. Up to you SL!!!!!!

You thinking the chipotles in adobo?

Back