• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Kimchi

I didn't see a specific thread in here about the delicious dish that is kimchi, so I figured I would start one. I'm sure that there are some members on this forum with some really special recipes that they might want to share.

I made some kimchi tonight, since I got gifted a small batch wine kit from a friend for Christmas, and I now have a great new fermentation vessel.

Use 2 head of napa cabbage, korean raddishes, carrots, green onions, garlic, fish sauce, hot red pepper powder, carolina reaper powder, ginger powder, brown sugar, and rice flour.

Cut and salt the cabbage dry, and flip it every 30 minutes, soaking the cabbage in the saltwater that begins to accumulate at the bottom of the bowl. Do that for 2 hours, then rinse it 6 times with water to remove all of the salt.

Boil 2 tablespoons of rice flour with 2.5 cups of water, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, until it becomes thick.

Dice up the carrots, green onions, and raddishes, then added them to a mixing bowl with 2.5 cups of red chile powder, and 2 tablespoons of Carolina Reaper powder.

Once cooled, put the rice flour sugar into a bkender with 4 cloves of garlic, and a tablespoon of ginger powder. Liquify it. Add that to the mixing bowl with the veggies and chile powder, and add 3/4 cup of fish sauce. Mix very thoroughly with your hands, and wear gloves!

Add the cabbage to the mix, and work it with your hands til everything is covered 100% with the sauce.

Put everything in jars/jugs with airlocks, and let ferment for 5 days in a dark place of the house. Put it in the fridge when it tastes to your liking, and eat it!

Attachments

• 20160126_181928.jpg
    20160126_181928.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 20160126_210712.jpg
    20160126_210712.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 140
  • 20160126_211751.jpg
    20160126_211751.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 135
Hank busted me in the store today looking at their selection of jarred salsas, wondering if there was another ingredient I could throw in the kimchi. He said.."what are you doing looking at this stuff?" :lol:

The only other thing that piqued my interest was corn. I'd already got the pineapple, decided to leave corn for the next batch.

Turns out Hank loves kimchi. Gonna share some of this fresh stuff.

salsalady said:
You thinking the chipotles in adobo?

I was, minus the sauce left, just the saucy peppers, but your idea is fine I've never made it so I have no idea SL!!!

Love kimchi.  Gotta drive 20 min to the nearest Korean neighbourhood to get the real stuff.  Got a batch started today.  Couldn't find any daikon at the local Asian vege market so, ah well.

Got some salted wombok (napa cabbage) doing its thing , in the mortar is the white ends of spring onion, garlic, and re hydrated birds eye chillies. I did have Korean chilli powder but it's since gone funky so had to chuck it. And a rice porridge in the small bowl.  Carrot and spring onion as well as fish sauce.
P3172882_zpsersmnqqt.jpg

The chilli paste for the cabbage.

P3172883_zpsnpxxodvq.jpg

Mixed and taste tested.  Spot on, no adjustments needed.

P3172884_zpssvcqu6mx.jpg

Found this great jug that has a pressure release valve on top for when you pour.  It lets out gases but won't let air in.  On sale for $5.25 too!  I grabbed 3 :woohoo:

P3172886_zpsx0vfpj0u.jpg

Punched out all the air bubbles.  Just covered in liquid.  My hands are burning but the kimchi is done :D  Gonna ferment for 3-5 days then into the fridge for 5-6 weeks.

P3172885_zps8wjynvkc.jpg

Edit: I added 1 Tbs liquid from sauerkraut to get it started and I also added the seasoning packet from my fave Korean hot n spicy noodles.
This one:
01.png

D2S, that looks really good.  Have you done the porridge thing before?  And what you said about the funky Korean peppers...when I pulled a bag of Korean Red Pepper Flakes out of the cupboard, hadn't even looked at it in years, it was all stuck together and moldy.  I was kinda surprised as I never have trouble with peppers in the cupboard, and then you said the same thing happened....weird....

After 24 hours at toom temp....

BUBBLES!!!  Tiny Bubbles!
IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

The tubs in the fridge hadn't started working yet, so I left them out on the table overnight.  By this morning, it was just barely starting to bubble, so I'm going to leave them out another day and see what they look like in tomorrow.

Meanwhile... back at the hacienda...

Mexican kimchi!

5 medium heads green cabbage
2 bunches regular radishes
4 carrots
2 bunches green onion

2 yellow onion- blend 1 with garlic in food processor, slice one
1 cup garlic

crushed pineapple with juice

1/3c chipotle powder
1/2c chili powder
2 Tbsp cumin (sorry Boss... :lol:)

1/2 tamari
water as needed to cover

Let it sit out overnight, as of this morning no action yet.  Flavor definitely needs to blend a bit.  Can taste the pineapple, I think it needs a bit more tamari. 

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

Deathtosnails said:
Love kimchi.  Gotta drive 20 min to the nearest Korean neighbourhood to get the real stuff.  Got a batch started today.  Couldn't find any daikon at the local Asian vege market so, ah well.

Got some salted wombok (napa cabbage) doing its thing , in the mortar is the white ends of spring onion, garlic, and re hydrated birds eye chillies. I did have Korean chilli powder but it's since gone funky so had to chuck it. And a rice porridge in the small bowl.  Carrot and spring onion as well as fish sauce.
P3172882_zpsersmnqqt.jpg

The chilli paste for the cabbage.

P3172883_zpsnpxxodvq.jpg

Mixed and taste tested.  Spot on, no adjustments needed.

P3172884_zpssvcqu6mx.jpg

Found this great jug that has a pressure release valve on top for when you pour.  It lets out gases but won't let air in.  On sale for $5.25 too!  I grabbed 3 :woohoo:

P3172886_zpsx0vfpj0u.jpg

Punched out all the air bubbles.  Just covered in liquid.  My hands are burning but the kimchi is done :D  Gonna ferment for 3-5 days then into the fridge for 5-6 weeks.

P3172885_zps8wjynvkc.jpg

Edit: I added 1 Tbs liquid from sauerkraut to get it started and I also added the seasoning packet from my fave Korean hot n spicy noodles.
This one:
01.png
Great job on that Kimchi! Nice pics of the process too.
salsalady said:
After 24 hours at toom temp....

BUBBLES!!!  Tiny Bubbles!
IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

The tubs in the fridge hadn't started working yet, so I left them out on the table overnight.  By this morning, it was just barely starting to bubble, so I'm going to leave them out another day and see what they look like in tomorrow.

Meanwhile... back at the hacienda...

Mexican kimchi!

5 medium heads green cabbage
2 bunches regular radishes
4 carrots
2 bunches green onion

2 yellow onion- blend 1 with garlic in food processor, slice one
1 cup garlic

crushed pineapple with juice

1/3c chipotle powder
1/2c chili powder
2 Tbsp cumin (sorry Boss... :lol:)

1/2 tamari
water as needed to cover

Let it sit out overnight, as of this morning no action yet.  Flavor definitely needs to blend a bit.  Can taste the pineapple, I think it needs a bit more tamari. 

IMG_5179.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG
Oh yeah! Mexican kimchi, very nice!

Check this out! 

IMG_5185.JPG

The 8 cup tubs are definitely working!
IMG_5186.JPG

I added another 1/2 c tamari to the chipotle kimchi.  It was tasting a little flat.  It's just barely starting to work, so I transfered it into sealed tubs like what's pictured and left it out.  The original kimchi is in the fridge.  It has a good flavor, just developing the sour, and has just the right amount of heat. 

The chipotle kimchi almost seems a little mild and I'm not sure if I like the flavor.  As I said, it's flat, nothign popping out, but I'mma gonna give it another couple days and then tweek it.

BOOOOOOOO???

What? Why? 

you hurt my feelings!  :mope:

salsalady said:
BOOOOOOOO???

What? Why? 

you hurt my feelings!  :mope:
Because I suggested it and it failed...

Deathtosnails said:
SL, I liked pookies post then unliked it :D
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What failed? the Chi-po-to-lay?

That one's still workin',  we'll see if it's a Fail or a Sail!  It might need a bit more work but that's OK for a first try.  Seriously..who ever hits it out of the park on the first try of a sauce?

I love kimchi! Every fall and winter is kimchi season for me. I eat it with everything and make a new batch when the previous one is gone.
Kimchi on apple pie? Yes, please! Icecream with kimchi? Why not!

I cut the nappa cabbage lengthwise and salt it like this. After rincing I cut it to bite size pieces and mix it with the rest of the ingredients:
sea salt, pepper powder, sugar, garlic, fresh ginger, scallion, carrots and soy sauce. I like to add some sesame seeds sometimes.
One jar is left on the counter top, while the rest goes straight to the fridge, to ferment slower. The taste becomes orgasmic after 4 or 5 days.

Back