• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

knives

Oh, and let me show you the next little knife(-ish) that i'm lusting after. When he rolls out the next batch, i'm jumping on it.

169815181minisop1.jpg

http://www.atwoodknives.com/

what is the deal with people wanting a pry bar?

what would you do with that knife? open your mail?

i just got my benchmade knife today, love it. ill take a picture tonight and post it up. its a pretty sharp little bastard

ross said:
what is the deal with people wanting a pry bar?

what would you do with that knife? open your mail?

i just got my benchmade knife today, love it. ill take a picture tonight and post it up. its a pretty sharp little bastard

My buddy got one and i have to say when i was playing around with it, it turned out to be an extremely handy little thing to have in your pocket(and my shop). I would use the snot out of that little guy.

it does have a bottle opener, which is very key :lol:

is the blade sharp on it?

doesnt seem like you could get much leverage with it. try pulling a 16d ring nail with that thing.

ross said:
it does have a bottle opener, which is very key :(

is the blade sharp on it?

doesnt seem like you could get much leverage with it. try pulling a 16d ring nail with that thing.

Yeah, the blade's alot sharper than it appears. And, it's chisel-ground to boot(here we go again!).

It is a handy thing to have as a keychain, but yeah, for the most part, it's just a really cool looking $80 bottle opener.

And i still want one(because i'm a jackass like that):lol:

chilehunter said:
I see the british govt & peta trained/brainwashed you well :lol: I could go on about how stupid your countries laws are but I wont here.

do you even have a clue ?

For fuck's sake.

JOKE, dude.

Yes, many many clues. Far more, in all likelihood, than you, including the ability to detect humour, irony and sarcasm.

imaguitargod said:
Some adamantium claws always do the trick... :lol:

Unless you can retract 'em you'll never get away with strolling around in public with those....plus, they don't fit in my pocket too well. I keep shredding up my jeans whenever i try to get them in my back pocket.

today I saw a knife I'd really like to get, its well built!!
its the african model

i513910sq02.jpg

discription:
Molded after Knives of Alaska's impressive lineup of handcrafted knives and constructed of the same D-2 tool steel, these blades put impeccable quality in your hands without handmade prices. All models sport a thumb groove on the spine. The .16" thick full-tang blade has a bead-blasted non-glare finish. Stainless steel bolsters and suregrip black rubberized handles complete the package. They include an oiled leather sheath with snap-locked keeper strap.
Available:

Alaskan (4-1/4" drop point)
African (4-1/4" semi-serrated, hollow-ground drop point)
Wolverine (4-1/4" rakish point)

$120 each

what would yall suggest for a good cutting knife for frozen meat?? (pretty much what i do is freeze my meat,,,,get your mind out of the gutter...the meat for my chili....geez you guys and gals... and i cut it into little cubes. what kind of chef knife or ?? would yall suggest...i was even thinking about mabey a cleaver???

the f bomb is a nono? ill remember that. if you ever see it from me, its because ive had too much to drink. hahah

OT -

those knives look nice, the alaskan, and w/e. still, not sure i know what to do with a fixed blade.

bubbaschili said:
what would yall suggest for a good cutting knife for frozen meat?? (pretty much what i do is freeze my meat,,,,get your mind out of the gutter...the meat for my chili....geez you guys and gals... and i cut it into little cubes. what kind of chef knife or ?? would yall suggest...i was even thinking about mabey a cleaver???

a cleaver, or an axe. or hey, just let it thaw??

CH...nobody in Alaska uses the Knives of Alaska. Had a friend that had em and he didn't like them. For a sheath knife I use Russell Trout and Bird knive. For skinning game I always have my folding buck..2 1/2 inch blade, what model..I dunno..Swiss Army knife combo with the saw. With the Buck and Swiss Army I have cleaned dozens of caribou and moose. Big is not better. A good metal blade that stays sharp with a touch up from a decent steel and a good grip when wet or bloody is better. I have maybe 2 dozen knives but those are the ones I use when hunting or fishing. I never go anywhere without a Leatherman PST. I have a Western Bowie knife and while is kind of joke..it opens cans, splits kindling and not bad as a basic camp chore knife.

TB - I'll take that into consideration about that he didnt like them, & why didnt he like'em ? but then again everyone is different & I thought it was a really nice knife(strong, well built & rubber grip)
I know bigger isnt better. I know I said at least a 4" blade for big game, maybe I shouldnt of said that but I do like at least 3.5"-4" blades for field use on game. the Ka-Bar would only be for a last resort self defense against a bear, or quartering it if needed ?
my field knife dont get used much after that, other than skinning. then I have other knives for butchering, & yes a 8" blade does come in handy for this, also a fillet knife,a saw, & a smaller 3"-4" knife (which this is a little different than my field knife)
I'm still open to ideas of knives, which I need a new field knife for this season, my last one was a foldable & its all loose & I just want a new one :lol: but it needs to be a fixed 4" blade (min 3.5") w/ a serrated section on the blade & well built.

bubba - you're not talking about completely frozen meat are you ? I know its better to cut some meat for certain things when its half frozen. I'm assuming you mean this. & just slabs of meat right ?
any good knife will do, I dont know what size of meat you'd be cutting so size of blade would depend on that, but a cleaver might be overkill & not easy to use on half frozen meat to make little cubes? a really sharp non serrated blade will work or if its to frozen then a full serrated blade will do the trick.check into buying a butchering knife set.

theres some knives that work better for certain things, that being a 8" knife,fillet knife, 3-4" skinner/field knife, or just your steak knife.

just keep them sharp, every couple cuts you do then do a quick sharpening of the blade again.

ross- as for which knife to use/buy is all in what that person is looking for in a knife & what they'll be using it for, only you will know what you need & want.

Dang it!! I wanted to post a picture from a hunting site that I'm on. In my photo's I've got a picture of my thigh when I accidentally stabbed myself in the thigh. Lets just say that cutting carpet with your hunting knife on a counter isn't smart:lol::lol: It was an inch long and 2 inches deep. When the doctor was poking around he bumped a vein too. It squirted straight up in the air for a sec until he fixed it. Oddly I must be crazy, but it kind of was cool to watch. Though it didn't feel good. Sometimes I wonder if I'm right??..LOL!! I noticed I can't copy and paste a photo to here. How else do I post one?

chilehunter said:
shooty - if you had a clue then you would of known I use them to cut up the animals I've harvested, or at least had a good guess they're used for that purpose.
yea I kinda saw some humour in it but if you want to portray humour add some smilies Ex. :lol::P so theres no confussion.
but then again if I remember right I also think you're the one that said you're going to become a vegetarian, I might be wrong but I know someone here was gonna be one. I figured you're a person that stereotypes people that use knives or guns as scary people :lol: lets remember animal activists are one of the big terrorist threats in the USA not Al- quida (sp?)

irony - I dont see it, with what I said & what you said.
sarcasm - then my quote still stands!

shooty profile
Solicitor

Interests:
Family, music, gaming, guitar, chillis, film, beer, star wars

then add you're from the UK & might even be a new comer to vegetarianism, so NO! I really dont think you have a clue when it comes to hunting or butchering your own food.
you MIGHT have the boardgame "CLUE" & play it while all dressed up in your Sherlock Holmes outfit :P
Yeah, I like to hunt and fish as well. I actually haven't bought beef in a few years. (With he exception of going to a restaurant.)Venison is leaner, has no hormones, and has more protein per ounce. I enjoy hunting, but it's not for the thrill of shooting something. It reminds me of where my roots come from as a human being. It's good to know you can live off of the land. That's also why I enjoy gardening and foraging. I love to hunt for morel mushrooms in the spring. Pick wild asparagus off the side of the road in early May, and pick rasberries. Just as rewarding as growing my hotpeppers too!

rabbit said:
Dang it!! I wanted to post a picture from a hunting site that I'm on. In my photo's I've got a picture of my thigh when I accidentally stabbed myself in the thigh. Lets just say that cutting carpet with your hunting knife on a counter isn't smart:lol::lol: It was an inch long and 2 inches deep. When the doctor was poking around he bumped a vein too. It squirted straight up in the air for a sec until he fixed it. Oddly I must be crazy, but it kind of was cool to watch. Though it didn't feel good. Sometimes I wonder if I'm right??..LOL!! I noticed I can't copy and paste a photo to here. How else do I post one?

host it on a page. i will host it for you if you want me to. send me a message and i will give you my email address.

or you can use one of those free things like imageshack or whatever. i dont know how to use them, because i have my own webspace.

bubbaschili said:

How about a chainsaw?

Back