• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Lab Testing

I'm looking to have my salsa and hot sauces lab tested for water activity, shelf life and pH.  Some questions:

Hot Sauces

Do I need to have my hot sauces tested in a lab or can I use a pH meter?
If I can use a pH meter how will I know the shelf life?
Can I use that reading when submitting info the Board of Health?

Both

Can someone recommend a lab to use for these purposes?

Thanks

Most universities that have a food sciences program can do testing and there are many labs around the country that can do testing also.  ABC Labs in Florida and SW Bio Labs in NM are 2 independant labs I've used.  I believe Cornell Univ does testing and I know Univ Nebraska Lincoln  ans Washington State Univ do testing.

If you will be selling shelf stable hot sauce you will need a process authority letter/report of which a pH test is part.  I don't know if the labs have a person that can do that as the person doing the process review has to have a PhD (or something) in food sciences.  Every one I know of has gotten their PA letters through university related programs.  Talk to your health inspector to find out what information they want. I don't think you need a water activity, I've never heard of that for sauces.  But it's up to the AHJ what information, tests, or reports they want.   

My refrigerated salsa has a 30 day shelf life/pull date so it is considered a fresh refrigerated product, I don't have to have pH or shelf life tests. 

I didn't really, other than to keep some around for 30 days and it didn't go bad.  One time I forgot the vinegar and it went bad in about a week.  When it does go bad after about 2 months, it kind of ferments as opposed to getting moldy, don't know why that is, that's just what happens.  When the state inspector told me that anything under 30 days was fresh, I just adopted that as a time frame and have never had any issues.  After making the salsa for about 19 years, I've got it figured out so that even in the slow time (which is now through March) I can still make a batch about every 2 weeks by doing half batches.  In the summer, I'm making it about every 5-7 days.   

That's interesting. I'm just starting out marketing my fresh salsa and was wondering what date to put on it. I've had the same experience that you've had with fermenting after a long period of time. I'm really excited about this since I've had the same reaction to mine as you've had to yours. Since I have to pay for kitchen time I'm concerned about production quantities and storage. I guess it'll be a learning experience.

Thanks for the input.

Back