• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Labor Problem With Subway

Labor Board will get her fired(right/wrong/indifferent)
The system is in place and well checked
Do not allow the limited spirit of that child to be compromised by a demon driven factor that is well versed in greater causes
Take the short kick in the ass and move on
Otherwise more then feelings will be hurt
Notice the OT questioning is not the subject or the topic at hand
Dont be self serving if it isnt you your serving
Intentions are very often self destructive,is she worth it ? 

D3monic said:
slightly off topic but not really, is it a indian running the subway? That's usually what runs subways around here. They are notoriously shiesty  

What the fuc*? Talk about sweeping generalizations. Let's take a look at this for what is it instead of painting it with broad generalizations.

Just FYI
Indian's slam the motels up
White folk are the whip crackers in most all fraternized SubWents in this State
Like THP said . . . . . . ~~~>
FWIW,the choice ways yours to own it before "them" so . . . . . . . .

I know the hospitality industry. If you let this go, it will become something else and continue to grow.
Ask the child if she wants to work for free or get paid, and there you have it.

Well, my grand daughter doesn't want her Gramps to make any calls this time. She says if the boss does it again, she'll tell me... right.

Edit: I reserve the right to disregard her wishes.  It's not just about her.  I'll make a decision today.

Scoville DeVille said:
Another option is to let her sort it out. A learnable moment for a teenager entering adulthood. I know we've all had our own moments with society that taught us what we know today as seasoned adults. I know going in there with a 2 X 4 sounds fun but in reality it's an entry level job with very little risk to your teenage grand daughter. She will learn what she will learn through this so when the day comes that she has car payments and a mortgage, she will have the tools to succeed because of what she is learning now. Fighting her battles for her may not be beneficial to her in the long run. Maybe guide her through this but ultimately let/make her decide and act for herself.

My 2¢

The fifteen minutes early thing is not unreasonable at all, and I agree with a lot of this ...

But the working while off the clock part should be occasional, and not routine ...

.02 ...

Roguejim said:
I don't understand how working off the clock should be allowable at all, let alone occasional. Maybe I'm missing some special circumstance?

Plenty of scenarios around being a team-player are perfectly real ...

It's widely expected that salaried people will often work 55-65 hrs/week, even though their salary is typically based on the notion of a 40 hr week ...

People are sometimes compelled to do things after hours or on the weekend, as a group, off the clock ... sometimes for charity work, sometimes for promotions etc ...

Tons of Americans are completely useless when they arrive at any job, and have to be taught any number of things beyond the scope of the position to be able to be employed (how to use a computer, how to fucking count change even) ...

Systematically taking advantage of people is completely wrong, but new hire's showing signs of pettiness early on is definitely a smell of what's to come, IMHO ...

I think people should establish a work ethic before defending the notion that they have one ... but that's just me, I guess ...

Work ethic to me is  being  invested in providing a fair effort in exchange for compensation.   Do your work in a timely manner , with a dedication to quality and willingness to be responsible for your work. 

My Sister and I had a talk about a similar topic recently and her response was pretty spot on.  Having integrity is central to a good work ethic, most other things spring from it. 

I don't get how lots of hrs worked means a good work ethic.  I have worked with plenty of people who put in crazy hrs but had a horrible work ethic . 

study after study shows that for most people anything more than approx a 50 hr work week  is severely detrimental to productivity . 

Even with the exceptions  where  #'s  productivity can be maintained , quality issues sky rocket. 

You can debate work ethic all day but hourly employees should be paid each hour worked period.

Hope you get it sorted. Maybe they can tweet when it happens and tag subway.

Every Dr I worked for expected that we were there 15 mins early, every day ...

One person arriving late, and starting the schedule late in the beginning, would ruin lunch for EVERYONE ...

As someone who lived close enough to leave for lunch, I didn't mind the come early rule one bit ...

If the manager staffs too many employees at a certain time, that is their fault, not the employees that were told to come to work at a certain time.

Does the manager punch out, and work for free, when business is slow?

I didn't think so...

Yes, the manager might be salary, and that's the agreement he/she made.

Hourly means you get paid while at work. Period.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that managing a Subway probably isn't exactly rocket surgery. If you can't make your numbers without stealing from employees, you need to figure something else out.

I've had employers try to pull that shit when I was young. It didn't work...

Thats pretty much what Labor Boards discover when a whine ass rides in all butt hurt.
Sadly the new found victim never looks back at who drove them :rofl:
grantmichaels said:

Plenty of scenarios around being a team-player are perfectly real ...

It's widely expected that salaried people will often work 55-65 hrs/week, even though their salary is typically based on the notion of a 40 hr week ...

People are sometimes compelled to do things after hours or on the weekend, as a group, off the clock ... sometimes for charity work, sometimes for promotions etc ...

Tons of Americans are completely useless when they arrive at any job, and have to be taught any number of things beyond the scope of the position to be able to be employed (how to use a computer, how to f**king count change even) ...

Systematically taking advantage of people is completely wrong, but new hire's showing signs of pettiness early on is definitely a smell of what's to come, IMHO ...

I think people should establish a work ethic before defending the notion that they have one ... but that's just me, I guess ...

grantmichaels said:
I agree that that is not okay.
I got that from your second to last paragraph the work ethic thing just seems to be clouding the issue which is black and white.

muskymojo said:
I've had employers try to pull that shit when I was young. It didn't work...

Let me guess, You handled it all on your own, and now as an adult, know even better how to handle that type of situation?

Kids need to learn how to navigate thru the ocean of shitty situations. They are never ending, and the sooner they can deal with them, with some professionalism a little bit of grace, the more successful they will be.

Back