• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Labor Problem With Subway

The Hot Pepper said:
I got that from your second to last paragraph the work ethic thing just seems to be clouding the issue which is black and white.

It's not black and white, we were asked to arrive at the office 15 mins before shifts, and to clock in at the actual shift time ...

It was for the sake of everyone ... the employees, the doctors, and the patients ... so that people's inevitable issues and problems and tardiness didn't affect everyone ...

People have myriad excuses for being late to things - traffic, pets, kids, alarm failures, accidents ... and the fifteen minutes offset those fairly effectively ...

I worked for a Dr's office that did pay for that come-early time, but I worked for two that didn't ... that time was for us to pour our coffee and use the restroom so that we were truly ready ...

It's hard to defend on any concrete basis, but nobody really disagreed that it was for the best for everyone ...

Asking people to come early and literally do the work, off the clock is clear-cut (wrong), but asking people to come early so that they're personal life doesn't get in the way of the performance of an entire team - especially one doing important work - is definite gray area ...

It's extra annoying when you know what the margins are like on eye care, too, believe me! :rolleyes:

grantmichaels said:

we were asked to arrive at the office 15 mins before shifts, and to clock in at the actual shift time ...

That is perfectly fine -- You were asked to arrive early ( not required to or get fired if you did not do it every day. ) and to clock in when you actually started working at your scheduled time ( and probably allowed to clock in earlier if you started working earlier because help was needed ), not to start working as soon as you arrived and then clock in 15 minutes later (or as in this case perhaps an hour or 2 later if it was slow, while you still worked) !

JDFan said:

That is perfectly fine -- You were asked to arrive early ( not required to or get fired if you did not do it every day. ) and to clock in when you actually started working at your scheduled time ( and probably allowed to clock in earlier if you started working earlier because help was needed ), not to start working as soon as you arrived and then clock in 15 minutes later (or as in this case perhaps an hour or 2 later if it was slow, while you still worked) !

yes, that's it ...

like I said ... it was for the best of everyone ...

the staunchest of self-worth folks suggest that every minute they aren't free of work, they're on the clock ...

i've seen employees wait to clock out, until they're given their paycheck, as if waiting for pay should be on the company's dime at work rate, too ...

i'm not saying whether or not i agree, but at this point i've seen some real gray areas ...

grantmichaels said:
The fifteen minutes early thing is not unreasonable at all, and I agree with a lot of this ...

But the working while off the clock part should be occasional, and not routine ...

.02 ...
I disagree, if she becomes injured while not on the clock she will have no claim for insurance as the store can always claim they didn't know she was working and or didn't authorize it.

CAPCOM said:
I disagree, if she becomes injured while not on the clock she will have no claim for insurance as the store can always claim they didn't know she was working and or didn't authorize it.

Not sure how that works, in terms of worker's comp, but it's still an injury on the property ...

Good example of gray area, though, certainly ...

On one hand, Employers can get away with just about anything because the work force pool is flooded. "If you don't like this job, there's a hundred people in line for it so hit the road". Sad but true. Employers do take advantage. Always have and always will.

On the other hand, the generation of kids (from High School all the way up to College graduates) have entitlement issues. Years of "participation trophies" and not saying "no". Ever.

It's the kaleidoscope of life, and like I've said, the sooner young people learn how to put their phone down, roll their sleeves up, realize they are on the learning end of things, and put a smile on their face, the better off they'll be.

CAPCOM said:
B.S. ANYONE injured on their property and they are liable. Employees or not. :crazy:

Showing up 15 minutes early is just good practice even if not asked to do it. It shows ambition and initiative. It allows for traffic, weather etc. and to get your head in the game before clocking in.

Scoville DeVille said:
Showing up 15 minutes early is just good practice even if not asked to do it. It shows ambition and initiative. It allows for traffic, weather etc. and to get your head in the game before clocking in.

Not to mention setting you up for less hassles if/when that day comes that you wind up being late due to one of those !!

Back