• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lazies 2011 grow log

Well I have decided to start a grow log this season. Nothing too exciting to post yet. Started to germinate on the 6th and have a ton of work to do on the hill side garden.

Okay so due not wanting to spend extra money on a heating pad I have the following set up for germination:
Jiffy mini green house on top of my dehydrator on low. Keeps it at the right temp:

SIJP7.jpg

The location of the hill side garden, I figured the hill will work fine because it will not pool up with all the excessive water we get here in Wa:
tratu.jpg

decided to break ground and see what I had to work with in terms of soil. To my dismay the dark soil was something they used to cover nothing but clay and rocks. And if your wondering what is going on with the stakes on the right its because my neighbors have a pit bull that has dug thru the fence and as you can see to the left he started to dig thru again, I spoke with the owners and was advised the dog has never been socialized with other dogs however they will be moving at the end of the month.
MTZ8a.jpg

And yes if you keep up with my grow log you will have to endure random pictures of my dogs:
kvHd4.jpg

I have however come up with a solution to for the soil that will be cost effective. I will be growing lots of vegetables and other things as well but here is my grow list for peppers:
7 Pod Primo
7 pod -Patrick
7 pod Barrackpore -Patrick
7 Pod Yellow -HP
7 pod Brain Strain PRF
Star Fish - Big Egg
White Hab -Hot Pooper
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorp Morouga Bigg Egg
Naga Dorset
Yellow Scorpion Cardi- Cmpman1974
Caribean Red
NagaPeno hybrid from Hot Pooper
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Douglah PRF
Bhut-Silver Surfer
Bhut J Chocolate -Patrick
Bhut Carbon -HP
Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet -SS
Yellow Rocoto -Josh
Devils Tongue

I will be germinating more soon and have tried my best to keep track of who has given me seeds or what peppers I got the seeds from ext. Most of them that are not marked are from peppers I got from CCN. Now I just have to figure out how to hang the massive 400W ballast I have.

oh yeah other misc supplies
rockwool 2 bucks
PH tester, 8 bucks

I did a ph test on my tap water and its OVER 7!?! So for those of you who have run into this problem what did you do for your potted plants? Use ph down in a bucket than water them from that?? Thing when I drain the hydro res I could save and water my potted plants with that water?

It only takes a little bit of calcium in the water to bring it above 7 (neutral). When water is pure it just takes a bit to swing the pH a lot. Most likely it's perfectly fine for hydroponics or container plants. Nutrients will usually bring the pH down below 7 and you can adjust from there. Your landscape and potted plants will love the leftover water.

Thanks CA! I will give the four a go and hope for the best. Nitwit, the city has not bee out to take a look at the fire hazard issue. Cool give it a try woody! Sweet thanks for the news Zander! As crazy as it is I dont have a ph meter for soil, I bought a cheap on last year and it basically gave me the same reading no matter what I stuck it in. I have a day off tomorrow so I will try to get this all set up properly.

so the gubbermint obviously cares little about the peons
desperate times take desperate measures;
i think you should immediately correct the "dangerous" neighborhood
condition. i would go across the culdesac and "borrow"
that lawnmower from behind the neighbor's trash cans
and fix it as soon as the neighbor
ain't home :cool: agrees to assist in improving the situation
heck, it probably will already be gassed up.

drag that bad boy over there and mow that stuff right down
any thing that comes up from left over fire hazard seed you can spray with
some round up. you might get the neighbor to also donate some of that too
once you have the brush knocked down just dig a few 'pot' holes for your prefered
groundcover (CAPSICUM) and put some of your babies in there with some fertilizer and
water. you may even ask the city to come add some bs after it is done
maybe the city will use your initiative as a
shining example of "volunteer community service" :lol: :lol: :eek:

Awesome job dude!
cute pup! everything is growing nice. That purple flash looks really cool. Never heard of it before. Looks like something wild to grow for next year list.

Thanks guys! The purple flash is awesome sure is cool seeing something that is not solid green for a seedling.

My hydro system is almost complete just threw some extras and plants in there super quick for the photo. The only thing I need to do is get it set up on the timer and get that new light I want so bad.

tpu2V.jpg

I well I did the math wrong and it turned out in my favor. I tested the hydro system and collected data prior to adding the hydroton, because I had yet to purchase it or the screens to cover the tubing. of course I did. Good new is it floods 3 times as fast and uses far less water.

Actually the first batch I did I did not just water with a ph just above 7 or so, they all still came up. Second round I used a few drops of lime and brought it down around six and they look like they are all coming up as well.

I have been leaving my plants in the window seal full time since its been warm enough at night. no more of that huge ballast running seems to burn the leaves if left on too long even with the fan running. New light setup needed for my hydro corner. Well despite the fact that I have burnt some leaves off they are still alive. I have had an issue with leaf curl, tried 3 different soils and they all had that problem with all of them. the cal/mag has helped and seems to be nearly eliminated with the new leaf growth but still a slight issue. Not the fastest growth rate but its moving along some faster than others. Some of these have been recently germinated. I will never go back to dirt after rockwool thats for sure. Germ rates are 100% and much faster.

pwDBk.jpg

Hey Laz don't be afraid to use your HID just move it farther away and use mylar to reflex light down to the plants. Soak those plants one good time and get all the air pockets out and place them back under your light and in a week viola. The window really won't give them enough light at that age but is a good holding place. Good luck.

Well most of those plants are long gone so heres an update with some of the other stuff I am growing, problems and a few peppers. I got a bunch from CCN so hopefully they will take off now that the weather is starting to get nicer in the north west. I had a few aphids and let some lady bugs go a week or so ago and have a few sticking around still. They seem to have solved that however I found a ton of black aphids on my rosemary plant. And I have killed at least 20 horn worms on my cauliflower and one on my broccoli plant. They are worse than aphids and I am open to any advise. I have another 2,000 lady bugs to release tonight.

cauliflower:
GiYSH.jpg

Destroyed leave, notice the little fucker on the stem:
bwGZC.jpg

Tomato:
BurPU.jpg

Broccoli, mystery pepper and the purple flash has not grown at all and has a tiny little flower on it barely can see the thing.
wdSKP.jpg

Romaine and spinach:
Kezy8.jpg

Hydro peppers time lapse, due to cold nights they didnt do much for a while but in the last 3 weeks have started taking off:
sEjza.jpg

Peppers in the front of the house, hope the neighbors like them lol:
SMJVE.jpg

Saint and Seans NagaPeno:
yDkkv.jpg

Serrano:
FMD7u.jpg

Peppers on side of house:
PAyuu.jpg

Okay thats a huge update hope it didnt take long to load, will try and update again in a few weeks and let you guys know if they are growing well.

Back