• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lemon Drops, Reaper and Habenro tree glog

So I am no doubt getting a late start but I figured I should start a glog for my first attempt at growing hot peppers. I should be able to start them around 2/16/19 when my light shows up. I have some wire shelving and Mylar coming too to set up a grow box. I am debating on a heat pad as well since my light is a full spectrum led I doubt I can get much heat to the soil for germination. I'll update this with pics once I get the seeds going.

PS: My habenro tree seeds are whole dried peppers, I assume I just crack the pepper open and get seeds out of it that way? Might start a topic for this if I don't hear back on this thread.

Thanks for reading and keep your fingers crossed for me! Lol

I'm thinking of transplanting the tomatoes into solo cups and out of the greenhouse and off the heat pad. Is this the best course of action?

UPDATE 2/23 Part II:

I have all but one strand planted now (thanks again BlackFatal!), I've added Brazilian starfish and Fresnos to the party.

I have my light going on a timer for 18 hours, still having to mess with the timer a bit I think. I have a DIY grow cabinet I'm working on that I hope to have finished in a day or two. Still debating transplanting the tomatoes to the cabinet with the lights once it's done but for now I just have the light sitting on the greenhouse lid and the lid is cocked to the side for the newly sprouted seedlings. Hopefully I'm going about this right.

Attachments

• IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 59
2/24 UPDATE:
Well I'm batting 1000 on tomatoes now, 3 for 3 lol The most resent sprout looks much less leggy, I wish I had antispiated them spouting better so I could have had the light on when they broke the surface but I still can't believe how fast they shot up. The first two are growing out their leaves now and I think when I transplant them I should just bury half or 2/3 of the current stem, see if they will shoot out roots.

My timer doesn't work, it didn't kick on at 5 am as programmed, in fact it had turned off entirely overnight. So for now I'll have to run the light manually til I can get another timer.

Still no peppers but it's hast been a full 5 days yet so that seems right from my readings.

Attachments

• IMG_4373.JPG
    IMG_4373.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 63
cdubb2010 said:
The first two are growing out their leaves now and I think when I transplant them I should just bury half or 2/3 of the current stem, see if they will shoot out roots.

Yep, bury them deep when you transplant them, and they will send out more roots. 

PaulG said:
You need to be patient with the pepper
seeds. Five days is short. Be prepared
for two or even three weeks.
Yeah I didn't word that last part well, for tomatoes 4-5 days isn't unrealistic for germination so I'm not surprised I'm not seeing peppers yet.

BlackFatalii said:

Yep, bury them deep when you transplant them, and they will send out more roots. 
Question for you and Paul both, I realize this is a pepper forum and I asking about tomatoes but when should I move them to a larger container? Is not having the jiffy's lid sealed (for the tomatoes sake) negatively effecting the peppers?

Personally, I wait until the seedlings have true leaves to pot them up. Peppers and tomatoes both. 

In my view, humidity domes like the one in your picture are mainly useful to hold humidity in and keep the environment moist so that you don't have to water the cells as often. IMO, it should probably be removed once the seedlings start sprouting to reduce the risk of damping off. Actually, I don't even use a humidity dome at all anymore. I just accept that I will need to keep a closer eye on things and water the cells a little more often than I would with the humidity dome on. It is a little extra work, but not losing any seedlings to damping off makes it worth the effort for me.

UPDATE 2/28:

The Lemon Drops are coming to life!! Got two of them with their little arms showing just above the surface, I hope they will be up sometime tomarrow. 8 days for two of them to pop up, nobody else is making an appearance yet.

I also changed my green house around some, I ditched the top and have the light resting on some candle basins, the tomatoes are doing very good too. They are starting to get their real leafs and getting thicker stalks now.

Attachments

• IMG_4376.JPG
    IMG_4376.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4377.JPG
    IMG_4377.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 69
SOS 3/3:

So I had to leave two for a few days and I left the plants in my moms care and that hasn't worked out well. First off the light got knocked on to them (it was only for a few seconds it wasn't left on them), that's why the tomatoes are bent over, I don't see and breaks on the stalk so maybe they will recover, I don't know what I can do for them. But the new sprouts are looking rough, the Lemon Drops most of all, I think they are dead or dying, the leafs are in bad shape. I think it's over watering. The tree Habanero seeds are washed out with exposed seeds and the Fresnos that are up aren't looking as good (but another is coming up currently.

What can I do?

Like I said I think most of it is overwatering, so do I let them dry up a bit and reduce water for a day or two? Can I save the Lemon Drops (bottom pic)

Attachments

• IMG_4383.JPG
    IMG_4383.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4384.JPG
    IMG_4384.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4386.JPG
    IMG_4386.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 55
You can use toothpicks to support the seedlings
until they stand up on theirr own. As soon as they
are ready, I would transplant them deep. Same for
both pepper and tomato seedlings.

As fragile as seedling are they can be pretty damn resilient as well. They should recover and Paul gave a nice tip with using some support. The exposed seed may be an issue if it dried out at all. If you suspect it may had then just resow, if you think you need those plants that is.

They got much worse over night. The two leggy tomatoes leafs started to wilt and the shorter of them started to knell over as well. The Fresnos look worse and the Lemon Drops I think are dead the green in them is gone. I have the tomatoes propped up with tooth picks, I don't know if anything is going to make it.

Just have to wait a few days to see what perks
up, if anything. Might be good to start planning
a replacement round of seeds while there is still
a little time.

Let the top of the soil dry out.

Upon further investigation they were over watered with a weak vinegar mixture I had in another spray bottle (across the room) so I assume they won't come back from that. In the hours after I made the post the last healthy plant keeled over flat and the seedlings look like straw. Looks like a total restart is in my near future.

Back