• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lemon Drops, Reaper and Habenro tree glog

So I am no doubt getting a late start but I figured I should start a glog for my first attempt at growing hot peppers. I should be able to start them around 2/16/19 when my light shows up. I have some wire shelving and Mylar coming too to set up a grow box. I am debating on a heat pad as well since my light is a full spectrum led I doubt I can get much heat to the soil for germination. I'll update this with pics once I get the seeds going.

PS: My habenro tree seeds are whole dried peppers, I assume I just crack the pepper open and get seeds out of it that way? Might start a topic for this if I don't hear back on this thread.

Thanks for reading and keep your fingers crossed for me! Lol

cdubb2010 said:
Upon further investigation they were over watered with a weak vinegar mixture I had in another spray bottle (across the room) so I assume they won't come back from that. In the hours after I made the post the last healthy plant keeled over flat and the seedlings look like straw. Looks like a total restart is in my near future.
I feel your pain, Cdubb. If it's any consolation, a
few seasons ago, I sprayed half of my pants
with 2-4-D which I picked up by mistake since
it was the same color as my bottle of kelp foliar
spray. They were full grown and heading into full-on
flowering season. Pulling those 16 plants was
almost enough to make a grown man cry  :tear:

Matty's right. It could be worse!

Good luck with your new round of seeds.

RESTART 3/5:

Well seeing as the plants from before I feel were very much dead I restarted yesterday. This time around I have 3 seeds each of the Carolina Reaper, Lemon Drop, Fresno and Brazilian Starfish. I used the last three Reaper seeds and don't have many of the other left. I've opted to start the tomateos in a week or two since they seem to start and grow much quicker than the peppers, also I decided to not grow the tree habs since I'm unsure how well they keep as an indoor plant over wintering with their potential size.

I soaked them in a weak Earl Grey tea and they seem to have sank much quicker than straight water (8 vs 18 hours). Looks like I got some good seeds so let's hope everything goes well again and I manage to get some plants.

Attachments

• IMG_4387.JPG
    IMG_4387.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 55
Better luck this time Dubbs

Have never seen anything soaked in Earl Gray Tea before, it has always been the Chamole soaks that are common. Think a side by side is in order down the line from me.

UPDATE 3/11:

We have life again! 2 of 3 Fresnos are up and all the Brazilian Starfish are up, they shot up yesterday when I was working, luckily they aren't leggy like the tomateos were since I got light to them quickly.

One thing I noticed with the Starfish is that the seed it's self is on the end of the stalk, the other peppers didn't do that and they brought up a bunch of dirt with them when they sprouted. Not sure if that's just a pepper variation that does that or if there's an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 59
Helmet Head i assume is what your referring too dubbs?? Its quite common actually if so

You can find a multitude of info on here to get them off but just try keeping it moist at first and see if the cotys can push it off...if not you may need to do surgery at some point.

When Paul eventually see's this he can give ya some good pointers on HH's

Well two of the Starfish didn't recover from HH but one is looking good still also had a Fresno die without warning today. So we got two living plants now, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Perhaps your Fresno died from damping off.
That happens pretty quickly.

As for seed husk removal, what Matty said.
If that doesnt work, you can carefully snip
the seed casing around the edges to help
free it. L

I haven't given up! I restarted with a new method and approach, I've went to the solo cup method. I keep the soil moist from the top until the seedling pokes its head up, then I switch to bottom watering to make the roots reach for the water and occasionally (every other day) give the plant it's self a nice mist. Another thing I suspected was an issue was with the peat pods I couldn't move the tray off the heating pad since germination rates vary wildly. I think the heat pad might have been killing plants, I could be wrong.

Thus far I got tomatoes and green peppers going strong, the Fresnos are up and growing rapidly, also a lemon drop made its first appearance today. Surprisingly none of the Starfish are up yet but I still have hope. This method seems to work but it uses lots of space, I will need another light soon. I think the peat pods do work but idk about them with peppers.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.JPG
    IMG_4446.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 52
Well it's time to transplant I think, from left to right it's the Lemon Drop and two Fresnos, nond of the Starfish or Reapers ended up sprouting. Do any of you have soil recommendations that I can get at a big box store?

Attachments

• IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 62
Back