• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Let me see your SB7J's

Genetikx said:
Anyone have a pic of one cut in half? Mainly wondering how difficult it is to get the seeds out. Some of my bonnets are so "bonnety" that it's tough to just cut in half and scrape out seeds.
some moreso than others

wWILdzX.jpg

Trident chilli said:
Adam impressive amount of oil on those seeds and walls .... warm looking pod I bet it smelt and tasted just perfect
Thank you very much, John! This one was really ripe, so it was extremely juicy. These have a fantastic flavor and the heat surprises me every time I eat one...or half of one. :) Man, they are hot!

Great pod Adam and thanks Pex for posting review .... I suppose all of us growing this variety aspire to get full heat/flavour but different growing conditions and geographical locations must help. Adam I notice that you are located in Michigan which to me is pretty north and that pod was estimated at being around 1.000.000 scovilles ... A massive well done to you ... Could the same pod produced in Florida be even hotter

Either way really enjoyed the post .... my SB7J are on the turn but I feel I am not going to get that same heat let alone that size

Trident chilli said:
Great pod Adam and thanks Pex for posting review .... I suppose all of us growing this variety aspire to get full heat/flavour but different growing conditions and geographical locations must help. Adam I notice that you are located in Michigan which to me is pretty north and that pod was estimated at being around 1.000.000 scovilles ... A massive well done to you ... Could the same pod produced in Florida be even hotter
Either way really enjoyed the post .... my SB7J are on the turn but I feel I am not going to get that same heat let alone that size
Thank you for your kind words, John! I often wondered how some of the things I grow would turn out if grown in a southern state. I don't think it's anything that I did, really. I think it's the great seeds that I got from PexPeppers. Thanks, Garret!

cloudhand said:
Unless someone created their own SB x 7 Pot Jonah cross and called it SBJ7... it is probably just misspelled, the correct name is SB7J.

I had a plant last year that was supposed to be red, but it through yellow pods similar to yours. The other plants from the same seed stock threw red pods with different and closer to the mushroom cloud phenotype shape.

Got these yellow SB7J seeds from you. Is this what your's looked like? MoA on the left, pods from your seeds on the right. I've been pleased with it. Thanks for the hookup!
2015-10-04-13-01-22_zps5mfc1qmn.jpg

Rick that yellow SB7J on the right is impressive ... well done to you and Cloudhand in creating a different colour variation which keeps the bumpy/mushroom Pheno. Were all the pods this shape or is this a selected pod

Wow Rick!!! Fantastic looking SB7J! Yes, I over wintered the mother plant and this year it was a real producer. Many of the pods have that mushroom cloud shape but most are not as bumpy. I'm glad those seeds produced yellow pods... thought it could possibly revert back to red as the yellow plant last year was from red seed stock.

Trident, I cannot take any credit for creating this. Most of the credit goes to Ryan Dulac for his work to try and stabilize the mushroom cloud shape phenotype. He calls this the "Atomic Scotch Bonnet". Such a fitting name. He sent me some seeds a few years ago and one of the plants produced yellow pods instead of red. What a nice find!

This year I have 3 different plants that were supposed to be red but produced yellow pods: MOA Red, CARDI Scorpion Red, and 7 Pot Jonah. That Jonah is probably not only the hottest, but also the tastiest yellow pod I have ever eaten!

Finally I can show you three variations from three different SB7J plants ...

Plant One

Plant Two one thing that stands out is the colour a really brilliant red

Plant Three

Intresting to read Cloudhand about the invasion of the yellow pods ... I now have yellow Weat Indian Reds

Trident chilli said:
Rick that yellow SB7J on the right is impressive ... well done to you and Cloudhand in creating a different colour variation which keeps the bumpy/mushroom Pheno. Were all the pods this shape or is this a selected pod
Thanks. All are like the one pictured. 
cloudhand said:
Wow Rick!!! Fantastic looking SB7J! Yes, I over wintered the mother plant and this year it was a real producer. Many of the pods have that mushroom cloud shape but most are not as bumpy. I'm glad those seeds produced yellow pods... thought it could possibly revert back to red as the yellow plant last year was from red seed stock.

Trident, I cannot take any credit for creating this. Most of the credit goes to Ryan Dulac for his work to try and stabilize the mushroom cloud shape phenotype. He calls this the "Atomic Scotch Bonnet". Such a fitting name. He sent me some seeds a few years ago and one of the plants produced yellow pods instead of red. What a nice find!
Good to hear a bit more. I think all I knew about it is what you wrote on the piece of paper in the seed bag. :) Happy to see it stay yellow too!

More on the Yellow SB7J. I planted one SB7J from Cloudhand's yellow pod & got all uniform yellow pods. I planted one plant from a red pod and got a plant with the same shape pods that were all red EXCEPT this one yellow pod. Pretty neat.
2015-11-11-18-57-23_zpsynkorjmt.jpg

Back