• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Let's Make Cebiche

As you all probably know by now, my wife is from Peru so making cebiche comes natural to her. Its a traditional dish from her home of Peru. This is just pretty good stuff and for those of you wanting to try something a little different, this is for you! We had tried making it here in the USA a couple times before but this was the best by far. We have learned that freshwater fish makes for a not so good cebiche!

You start out by squeezing limes and collecting the juice in a pan like this. You also crush up several garlic cloves and add to the lime juice
2uq2oar.jpg

You now need to chop up some onions, cilantro and celery and of course cut up the fish filets into small bites
14y4kgg.jpg

Next slice a red or orange bell pepper, remove the seeds and place with just a little water in the blender and make a smooth "paste"
zxvg8x.jpg

Now add all of that to the lime juice
2v2cl8o.jpg

Salmon is what I prefer when ordering Sashimi. And Salmon roe sushi is another one. [I ain't afriad of fish!] Can't get enough of that stuff when the Saki is flowing.

I've got a Peruvian joint you need to visit El Jefe. Nothing flashy... it's in a strip mall, but they have some great ceviche.

It's not a raisin, it's a date.

That's funny, Sum.... you'll do salmon sashimi and sushi, but are skeptical about doing it in ceviche??? All I can say is GO FER IT - it's GOOD.

Salmon ceviche is good but when using the wild varieties i.e. wild pacific caught, the flavor can be a bit strong for some and most pronounced in the fattier species such as chinook and coho. In Alaska, halibut and rockfish make excellent ceviche. For the grill, there are few fish that rival the rich buttery flavor of grilled sablefish aka black cod. And one of my favorites PWS (Prince William Sound) prawns, BOOM! Just dang good fried, grilled, and yep you betcha', ceviche. Don't even get me started on my love for red king crab. Eat that and after you'll think most other crab is just garbage.

That's funny, Sum.... you'll do salmon sashimi and sushi, but are skeptical about doing it in ceviche??? All I can say is GO FER IT - it's GOOD.

Salmon has a specific flavor. All the ingredients in ceviche, obviously, create a different flavor. I'm just not able to marry the two together for some reason. It might be delicious... All my experience with salmon has been done in a different way, usually involving smoke or just straight raw with wasabe and soy sauce. Salmon and onions just doesn't seem to work for me... or a heavy citrus flavor. I don't squeaze lemon on Salmon. Call me weird... I'll try a ceviche with salmon one day no doubt. My interest has peaked.

I generally don't do salmon unless it is either smoked or raw (as in sashimi or sushi), but sometimes just a nice sear on the outside or in ceviche is yummy. It's amazing how something so good can be so bleh-like when fully cooked through. Just don't overdo it when using it in ceviche.

Sum, 10,000 Alaskan brown bears can't be wrong when it comes to salmon. Just ask Bear. SoFlo might not be a top destination for getting your grub on when it comes to that fish as so much of the local SoFlo fish is more fresh and really, why eat salmon when y'all have all that beautiful mahi mahi, grouper, yellowtail etc. available fresh all year long. I will say that to me, one of my absolute favs is sauteed salmon with a lemon white wine butter sauce and overall I think lemon gives it a great zing without overpowering the fish. As far as onions, by themselves with salmon no, but carmelized onions with sauteed salmon and a Vietnamese garlic and black bean sauce will make you wetter than a shampooed water buffalo!

I freely admit to being more than a little biased when it comes to salmon. I made up a big batch of salmon cakes and have been eating them on tacos for the last 4 days. Some folks are addicted to chocolate or bacon, me, seafood and especially salmon. I never grow weary of eating it.

I like to use tilapia for my ceviche. I could imagine flounder would be pretty tasty too.

Has anyone tried this with mussels?

Years ago on a fishing trip out of Cancun, there was a joint in town that did a ceviche with oysters and shrimp. They added in a bunch of tomato juice and it came out half and half oyster cocktail and shrimp ceviche. Killer stuff!

Years ago on a fishing trip out of Cancun, there was a joint in town that did a ceviche with oysters and shrimp. They added in a bunch of tomato juice and it came out half and half oyster cocktail and shrimp ceviche. Killer stuff!

I'm thinking I could go for something like that. I am a fan of oyster shooters and ceviche.

Oyster shooters are for tourists.

A good ceviche, though, is money in the bank.

The half-shell is the way to go. Shot of horseradish and some hot sauce.

But I won't eat that crap. Too slimy for me.
All it takes is ONE bad one...

Back