• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Let's Make Cebiche

As you all probably know by now, my wife is from Peru so making cebiche comes natural to her. Its a traditional dish from her home of Peru. This is just pretty good stuff and for those of you wanting to try something a little different, this is for you! We had tried making it here in the USA a couple times before but this was the best by far. We have learned that freshwater fish makes for a not so good cebiche!

You start out by squeezing limes and collecting the juice in a pan like this. You also crush up several garlic cloves and add to the lime juice
2uq2oar.jpg

You now need to chop up some onions, cilantro and celery and of course cut up the fish filets into small bites
14y4kgg.jpg

Next slice a red or orange bell pepper, remove the seeds and place with just a little water in the blender and make a smooth "paste"
zxvg8x.jpg

Now add all of that to the lime juice
2v2cl8o.jpg

Ceviche recipe:

1/2 # yellowtail snapper cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 red onion chopped fine
1 green onion
2 plum tomatoes
1/2 cucumber [edit: 1/2" cubes]
4 limes juiced
2 lemons juiced
1/2 cup orange juice
2 serranos sliced thin w/ seeds
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Mix and let marinate for 1 hour. Mix occasionally.
~ a hand full of chopped cilantro (add and mix directly prior to serving)

To me cilantro is almost a must have ingredient in ceviche, but that's just my taste. Culantro, which is very similar, can also be used.

Going to have to try this. CM always has some type of fresh ocean fish on sale. Looks like a good healthy recipe to drink beer with. :beer:

Chewi, you got CM/HEB close by? Crap. I have to drive almost 45 minutes to Plano to get to the nearest one. CM has ALL the good stuff!

Nope. I'm just west of Little Elm/Frisco. All we got is a new Kroger, which ain't bad. Closest Whole Food's aka what I call "the hippy joint", is in Allen. Ain't nuthin' close to me except Lake Lewisville.

Heck man, we have enough people for a North Texas get together. Should have some beers at a central location sometime this summer.
Big bottle of Best Maids and some cheap beers!

It was killer!!!!!!!!!!

I know they are not the same thing, but cevichi puts sushi to shame... lol. Peruvian food is in my top 10 of foods. I could start any meal with ceviche. Any! Even BBQ!

Totally agree there.

I actually bought a small Key Lime plant about a month ago, solely so i could try making ceviche hopefully sometime in the future lol

Funnily enough typically ceviche use to be marinated/cooked in salt and lime much longer than is the norm these days.... it was actually the influx of Asian migrants into Peru and their use of rare or raw fish that had a big impact on how ceviche is served in modern times.

I have been thinking about starting a Peruvian or South American thread lately... you just might have convinced me....

Well there is usually a house marinade called leche de tigre, and fish and shellfish are in this for a long period. The long marination makes it milky, hence, leche. De tigre is the aphrodisiac part. Tiger's milk. If you order a dish in leche de tigre, they will bring you the "runoff" liquid, or a glass if you have liquid left, so you can drink it as an aphrodisiac. If you have a beer they will tell you to mix it in.

If you order a non-leche de tigre dish, it will be marinated on the spot, so it will be the quicker type you speak of. Like my fluke in aji amarillo sauce. A quick marination in lime and then the yellow sauce on top (or maybe it's all marinated together). Very delicious! This place has all kinds of cevices. Rocoto, habanero, ginger, papaya, etc, etc.

My friend got the mixed seafood in leche de tigre, and drank the tiger's milk w/beer.

I've only been into it a few years. But I love it!

(Sorry if you knew all that already.)

Go ahead and start that topic. ;)

Back