• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

let's talk cheese

lostmind said:
Errr and the parm in a bottle in your cupboard isn't really cheese either!

Actually, it is real cheese with only preservative and anti-caking ingredients. No fillers, so not too bad.

prod_Parm.jpg

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Products/ProductInfoDisplay.htm?SiteId=1&Product=2100061531

I'm a huge fan of cheese.

Top 3

Blue Cheese/Gorgonzola
Aged Swiss
Feta

I always try new cheeses but those are the cheeses that are constants.

QuadShotz said:
Actually, it is real cheese with only preservative and anti-caking ingredients. No fillers, so not too bad.
Well, if it's spelled parmesan, it's an imitation of Parmigiano-Reggiano, so it's fake ;). Plus, preservatives like that, yuck. Oh, and it's pasteurized. Yeah, that's pretty fake stuff there.

GrumpyBear said:
i love cheese, but never was able to develop a taste for the blues... i like most others tho, and i grew up on feta (the real stuff, from sheeps milk) i'm fairly certain i've heard something about cheese literally being addictive

I also had a problem with Blues until someone stuffed an olive with it and put it in a martini!
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

lostmind said:
Chilehunter - that's a lot of cheese there :)

Besides just how each cheese tastes, let us know how many notches you have to loosen your belt by :)

:lol: I dont eat blocks of cheese every meal everyday :shocked:
I just bought alot & will eat them over next month or two.

I had the frico smoked gouda & I'd say the kings choice smoked gouda tastes much better.

Try smoked Gouda melted on a burger with BBQ sauce.

thehotpepper.com said:

Love Goat’s Milk Gouda has a lovely Satiny texture and tangy flavor damn nice cheese and fantastic with biscuits and a little salsa on the side :)

chuk hell said:
That's really good cheese.

The aging process causes little calcium crystals to form giving it a "crunchy" texture. One of our favorites!

thats good to hear its really good.
I cant wait until I try these, I wonder what to eat with'em to accent their flavors.
rembrandt, extra aged gouda
da vinci, mediterranean style

thehotpepper.com said:

that sounds good, a nice burger with lettuce,onions,tomatoes,jamacian hot choclates,bacon,BBQ sauce, & smoked gouda.
actually it sounds damn good :drooling:

Founds this the other day.
It's a hab/jala mix of pepperjack cheese which is kinda unusual IMHO.

jala-hab-cheese-2.jpg

jala-hab-cheese.jpg

Isn't bad for the price, but I like the Sonoma Habanero Jack much better. It's very "creamy" tasting..not very peppery though.

-QS

Oh don't get me started on cheese!

I grew up on a farm, then my old man was the laboratory manager for a cheese factory - we used to go through a 20lb block of cheddar each week.

NZ cheese is world class. There was as story recently about the cast and crew of Scrubs ordering NZ cheese - and we make some amazing blues, camembert's and anything else.

Lots of niche cheese makers in NZ.

Cheese is a great plate for tasting hot sauces, its my preferred method of eating a new hotsauce is to spread it on a piece of cheese.

I am looking to start making my own cheese soon and i will post results... I am on an Aussie beer forum which i know a few of the other aussies in here are also on, and it has a great cheese thread with heaps of tips on making your own. So i'm going to get excited and start doing it.....:onfire:

Brokensea said:
Cheese is a great plate for tasting hot sauces, its my preferred method of eating a new hotsauce is to spread it on a piece of cheese.

Hmmm....excellent idea. I usually use cottage cheese for that, but i'll give it a try this way instead.

Armadillo said:
This one's a "Tete de Moine", a monks head from Swiotzerland. That girolle called device scratches little flowers of cheese off the loaf. That increases the surface and delivers the flavor.

Lovely!

Very cool!

I actually use a vegetable peeler to do that with some of my stuff, esp. the Cojita since it's dang hard to slice thin otherwise and I don't always want it grated.

armadillo - that's cool, the picture, I never thought of doing very thin slices/flakes of cheese to increase the surface area that inturn would give more flavor.

chilehunter said:
armadillo - that's cool, the picture, I never thought of doing very thin slices/flakes of cheese to increase the surface area that inturn would give more flavor.

It works. But once scratched you have to eat those "flowers" soon. Because of the big surface they easily turn over.

I smoke my peppers, dry them, powder them and then add them to various cheeses and smoke the cheese with hickory. Very flavorful, freezes for almost a year.

well, my interest in cheese is not big but I do love blue cheese. some say it's kind of odd that I like blue cheese even if I don't eat cheese that often.
cheddar is good too, love to have on crackers with some vegetables.
anyone know a good cheese that I perhaps might like which is not too expensive?

Back