• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

let's talk cheese

chilehunter said:
thank you, for mentioning a good brand of habanero cheese. around here they do sell "cabot" cheese's, but sadly never seen this habanero cheese sold anywhere around here, & I do look at any cheese that puts a vague claim as "pepperjack/hot cheese/etc..." & at several different stores throughout the area.
so I might end up asking a store around here if they would order some in since they already sell cabot products (just not that style)

Are you sure they don't sell the habanero jack cheese by the Great Midwest Cheese company? I can find that at all of the grocery stores by my house. It's got nice chunks of orange in it too!! Also, speaking of cheeses, I want to make some type of chanterelle mushroom spread. I don't know how to make cheese from scratch, but for some reason some type of cracker spread with all of these chants I've been picking sounds REALLY good!! (I'm on a mushroom kick right now. I had chanterelles cooked in my shrimp scampi last night too..lol!!)

rabbit said:
Are you sure they don't sell the habanero jack cheese by the Great Midwest Cheese company? I can find that at all of the grocery stores by my house.

I assume you're just calling "cabot" the great cheese makers in the midwest or is there a cheese maker named this ?
but believe me, like I said before, I do look at cheese ingredients to see if it has just jalapenos in it. & around here they do NOT sell the cabot habanero cheese! & this is checking 3-4 huge grocery chains throughout the area & then a couple other small stores here & there.
theres no way I could miss that package, they only sell cabots pepperjack w/jalapenos, like the rest of cheese's sold around here :(

well heres what I bought today.

DSCF1458.jpg

I decided to eat the "andes" cheese 1st*
its really soft & tastes really good, but the spice level for chiles is not there IMO.
I never heard of the chiles they used - merken - & theres no info on CCN or chilemans site about this chile.

*dinner - cheese,stoned wheat thins, summer sausage, sriracha & 10 sauce

also this cheese "Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce Cheddar - made by Yancey's Fancey" (no pics on their site of this cheese).
I ate awhile ago & IMO it's no good! but then again I dont know why I'd think buffalo wing sauce taste would taste good in cheese :rolleyes: buffalo wing sauce should be kept just for wings.

chilehunter said:
I assume you're just calling "cabot" the great cheese makers in the midwest or is there a cheese maker named this ?
but believe me, like I said before, I do look at cheese ingredients to see if it has just jalapenos in it. & around here they do NOT sell the cabot habanero cheese! & this is checking 3-4 huge grocery chains throughout the area & then a couple other small stores here & there.
theres no way I could miss that package, they only sell cabots pepperjack w/jalapenos, like the rest of cheese's sold around here :(

Thats sucks that they don't have any. Like I said it's called "The Great Midwest Cheese Company" though. Not cabot. I've actually never heard of cabot until I was on here.;) Also, I feel your pain on having to deal with the majority of the populace. They had a really good habanero salsa at my local grocery store and go figure. They don't sell that one any more.:( I hope you find some soon though.

rabbit said:
Like I said it's called "The Great Midwest Cheese Company" though. Not cabot.

my mistake as to what you said, I misread it. but TGMCC seems like they have some interesting flavors, but I think I'll wait until wintertime to be ordering some cheese :lol:

quad - that sonoma jack I bought doesnt have any habaneros in it. & its not hot at all (I had some of it tonight with some hot&sour soup)

chilehunter said:
my mistake as to what you said, I misread it. but TGMCC seems like they have some interesting flavors, but I think I'll wait until wintertime to be ordering some cheese :lol:

quad - that sonoma jack I bought doesnt have any habaneros in it. & its not hot at all (I had some of it tonight with some hot&sour soup)

Yeah, I actually thought of the same thing myself when I sent you the link. I don't think they would deliver it in a chilled UPS vehicle:lol:

chilehunter said:

Yeah, that one is tasty but not hot.

This one is pretty warm though:

sonjckhab.jpg

i love cheese, but never was able to develop a taste for the blues... i like most others tho, and i grew up on feta (the real stuff, from sheeps milk) i'm fairly certain i've heard something about cheese literally being addictive

If it's addictive, that sure explains a lot about me, lol. Ever since I've been out on my own I've had some kind of cheese in my fridge.

I love a good blue cheese...I get a brick of feta my daughtor is there before I can get the tub open lol.I dont suppose cheeze whiz is included in this lol(j/k)

ImpyChick said:
Ever since I've been out on my own I've had some kind of cheese in my fridge.

You know, if you cleaned the inside of the fridge occasionally you would'nt have that problem:lol:

But seriously, i'm pretty much the same way. I can't live without cheese at all. One of these days i'm gonna have to get my buddy to show how me to make cheese.

Another thread that really ticks me off!

I LOVE cheese AND CHILLI!!! And you know what? Most Aussies think chilli is that red flaky crap in a jar at the super market. So, when the micro dairies make their chilli cheese, IT SUCKS! I havent found one yet that is worthy of the name chilli cheese. I am going to Canada next year, and I will find some good stuff. pity is, I can't bring it home.

OH, BTW, got hold of some good blue a few months ago called Brass Monkey. so strong, could only eat a bit at a time.

For me, fave's are definately soft cheeses, sometimes good mature cheddar.
I really like marinated feta with sauteed field mushrooms, pine nuts and spinach.

Don't feel bad Impy...right now I have 6 kinds in the fridge and some parm in a bottle in the cupboard. I can't go a day without cheese anymore than I could hot stuff or coffee.

That's not counting the Velveeta in the cupboard as that's not really cheese.... ;)

Sickmont said:
So what's wrong with having some government cheese?

Nothing, except Velveeta isn't it.

The old Gov't cheese I used to get from my gramma was pretty cool actually. Like a cross between Velveeta and Cheddar kinda.

Then, they stopped giving that out. :(

Its sometime hard to find, smoked mozzarella , stuff a chicken breast (grilled ) with the cheese and jalopenos, its pretty awesome.

Back