• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for a hot pepper jelly recipe .

Judge said:
So I used sirex's trusty link and learned how to substitute powder pectin for liquid pectin. I ended up getting four 125ml (4 oz) jars out of it. I'm just waiting for it to set. Can't wait to try it. Thanks FIremanSmith! 

You.I like you.

Last year I made Yellow 7 pot Jelly.  I followed Pulpiteer's Aji Lemon Jelly recipe. It's really good made with lemon juice instead of vinegar.
Everybody loved it even though it was so hot..

Here's the modified version of the recipe that uses powder pectin instead of liquid pectin. 

FiremanSmith said:
Ive made 8 or so different recipes and here's what Ive found:

Using a proven recipe and following the measurements exaclty is key
With any jam/jelly recipe, use the the called for pectin type (some use liquid, some use powder)
Don't double recipes, make two batches if you have to.
Nothing worse than a batch not setting up ( usually attributed to not following the above)

This is my fave recipe

Ingredients
1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped hot peppers (I used inferno peppers)
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp powder pectin
Instructions
In a large deep saucepan, combine apricots and vinegar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Add red onion and hot peppers to apricots. Stir in pectin. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in sugar. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam.
Either can (process for 10 minutes) or refrigerate for up to 1 month.

Give you an easier version:

• Apples 1 Kg
  • Sugar 700g
  • Lemon 2 (only the juice)
  • Peppers ( i used the Chocolate Bhut Jolokia: for superhots stay at 15-20g for every kilogram of fruit)
Cut the apples, the peppers and put it on the stove,add the sugar keep turning with a spoon.
When it is boiling add the juice of 2 lemons and keep cooking for an hour.
Put everything in the masher, then in the glasses: sterilize those ones, let them cool down and enjoy it! ;)

No need to add pectin cause apples are already filled with it!

Roberto

I made some jam, first time ever the other day that was based on Firemansmith's recipe. I deviated some with the fruit. I didn't have dried apricot, so I used fresh blackberries. I assumed the soaking part was to rehydrate the dried fruit, so I skipped that part. I used 2/3 cup of the blackberries mashed. For the peppers, I finely minced a 1/2 cup worth of frozen Brown Congo pods. Turned out it was all I had. I got almost four 1/2 pint jars full. It set really fast. I think I could have used a whole cup of the blackberries. This was my first canning experience too, used the hot water bath method. Here's a pic of one of the jars. I think it tastes great. I'm going to try ramping up the heat next time, maybe with strawberries and superhots. 

0yJgwRXl.jpg

Back