• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help looking for good recipes

I just made a batch of this and it was addicting, it made almost exactly one 12oz bottle:

1 mango (skinned and de-seeded obviously)
10 orange habs, 4 bhut jolokia
juice of 3 limes
splash of vinegar
~1-2 Tbs of cane sugar

I just blend it all, boil for about 15 mins, cool a bit, re-blend, then reboil and bottle. I keep it refrigerated, not sure if there's enough acid for other storage techniques or not. It would still be good with more lime or a little more vinegar to get the ph down if you want it to keep longer...

I was really just messing around since I usually dont like sweet things but the stuff turned out pretty enjoyable with both chips and on chicken. The heat comes on slow so you have a good while to just savor the sweet mango flavor, and there is enough pepper that the flavor of them really comes through too. Gives me a cool numb throat :)

I am sure substituting Caribbean reds would work well. It looks really cool with the orange color from the mango but little tiny flecks of red (in my case from the bhut's).

Back