• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Made some Shawarma! :D

POTAWIE, this one's for you.
Been to a friend's house and he just got the little Shawarma thingy. we got hungry and made some! lamb, lamb fat, salt and pepper... nothing more. it was PERFECT!

Picz:
11987116.jpg

58424492.jpg

41585799.jpg

46038817.jpg

That looks awesome man. We don't get much lamb around here, at least not cheap but I think I'm going to try one with pork soon. Do you usually eat it on a pita Omri, or just as is? and do you just keep cooking and cutting the meat until its all cooked or can you save what's left for later?

First of all I've never tried it with pork, but I guess it should work. I see many Shawarma stands using turkey instead of lamb and they just add the lamb fat for flavor. I personally prefer eating with a Lafa, but a Pita would work, too... you cook it so the outer layer of meat is cooked and you remove it (and eat it of course) the the meat beneath it will get cooked as well.

Omri that 'thang is way cool. In Mexico, the traditional way of cooking Al Pastor is to use a similar device, although much larger, using pork topped with a pineapple. The pineapple drips down the meat as its cooking. Fantastico! That lamb in the pics looks el mejor que la chingada!

Cheers and ole, TB.

Omri said:
POTAWIE, this one's for you.
Been to a friend's house and he just got the little Shawarma thingy. we got hungry and made some! lamb, lamb fat, salt and pepper... nothing more. it was PERFECT!

Picz:
11987116.jpg

58424492.jpg

41585799.jpg

46038817.jpg
That thing looks like it could roast your freaking face off!

But how did your lamb turn out?

texas blues said:
Omri that 'thang is way cool. In Mexico, the traditional way of cooking Al Pastor is to use a similar device, although much larger, using pork topped with a pineapple. The pineapple drips down the meat as its cooking. Fantastico! That lamb in the pics looks el mejor que la chingada!

Cheers and ole, TB.
They're usually A LOT bigger. that's a miniature version for home use. plus, besides the fact it's not Kosher, pork also costs more here.
PhatManDerek said:
That thing looks like it could roast your freaking face off!

But how did your lamb turn out?
At first it was too close to the flame, but we perfected it. It turned out amazing.

Aw Gawd! I just think of Doner Kebabs when I see that first pic, yeah I know we're not meant to eat them because we'll get fat and die of a heart attack or something, but it looks so good.

Apparently (according to Google) Shawarma, Gyros and Al Pastor are all forms of Doner. anyhow, they're all real tasty and bad for you. :lol:

Philipperv said:
Wow that looks good! When you gonna make some pork Shawarma? ;)

I don't think he will Perv but Al Pastor would be fine as frog hair! Currently drunk and wearing my pants on my head...

Cheers, TB.

Here in Canada, the Halifax donair is our popular version of the Döner kebab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Döner_Kebab
"A variation on the döner kebab known as donair was introduced in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in the early 1970s. A restaurant called King of Donair claims to have been the first to serve this version in 1973.[7]

The meat in this version of the döner kebab (Halifax donair, as it is sometimes referred to) is sliced from a loaf cooked on a vertical spit, made from a combination of ground beef, flour or bread crumbs, and various spices, while the sauce is made from evaporated milk, sugar, vinegar, and garlic. The meat and sauce are served rolled in a flat-bread pita with diced tomato and onion. This version is generally so packed with ingredients that the pita is almost there for ceremonial purposes; the pita of any true Haligonian donair will be so soaked in sauce that attempts to pick it up will be fruitless.

This version of the donair is very popular throughout the Atlantic provinces of Canada, and is also available in some other areas of the country, with many fast food pizza restaurants also featuring donairs on the menu. Many of them also offer a donair pizza featuring all of the donair ingredients served on a pizza crust. Donair subs are also not uncommon. This is especially true in the Alberta cities of Edmonton and Calgary.

In Atlantic Canada you can also find donair meat used in offerings such as donair egg rolls (an egg roll casing stuffed with donair meat), donair calzones/panzerottis, and in donair poutine (french fries topped with cheese curds, donair meat and donair sauce or gravy or a combination).

"Halifax, in particular, seems to take a certain pride in the donair as its own defining fast food. There are long lines to buy them at 3:30 A.M., after the bars close. The donair sauce on its own was previously provided for free; however, owing to its growth in popularity it is now often provided for a small fee with garlic fingers or as a pizza topping (e.g. Barbecue chicken pizza with donair sauce) by Halifax pizza restaurants — even local franchises of chains not based in the Halifax Regional Municipality."

Back