• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Makin' Bacon!

Today is International Bacon Day! Are you makin' bacon?

Postie up! And keep this going as a BACON topic... since really, IBD is every day!

braised_bacon.jpg

Essegi said:
Maybe i don't use fresh cracked black pepper, but bp powder is a must!
Carbonara that is with bacon or, even better, guanciale, demands black pepper powder. Next time i'll do that i'll post here, simple and raw, one of the best pasta ever.
Pasta alla carbonara is how I gained 10lbs when my ex ( a chef from Milano) lived with me. 

Rawkstah said:
Pasta alla carbonara is how I gained 10lbs when my ex ( a chef from Milano) lived with me. 
I believe this.
Last week in 4 we ate that:
1kg vermicelli
nearly 600g guanciale (cured with the spiciest black pepper i ever tasted, it was nearly hot!)
6+ eggs
A good quantity of pecorino romano.
Without oil change (as classic recipe, usually i change it, taste is stronger and less unhealthier).
We advanced a tiny dish. Not my fault, it wasn't me that didn't do 3rd round...
Dangerous stuff!

Carbonara!!!
I hadn't pecorino romano so i used grana padano. It's different but still a great cheese and ok for that.

itUB0sy2OQAaC.jpg

That's not bacon, it's guanciale (cheek lard). It's the real thing for carbonara!
I had the ending part of that so it was nearly flat lard:
i6MLWeCoTKwxp.jpg

I cut that in raw big pieces. Probably it's my fattest carbonara.

ibrm4OEeE5bjoW.jpg

Egg, black pepper and grated cheese. Fork is dirt of pizza dough (i've made dough from 1kg of flour for tomorrow).

iB3m3ye6I2tk1.jpg
Cooked guanciale

ibhBsHjlHdMkdU.jpg

Carbonara ready!

ibovzAed0YBTQx.jpg

And the dish!

I used bacon for long time but guanciale is better for that (not a case it's the original recipe). Still, it was my best use for bacon.
No heat, but really it's no needed here, really one of the best thing ever seen.

Essegi said:
No heat, but really it's not needed here…..

Dang, I guess this is a phishing scam site, not THE HOT PEPPER site…. guess I'll take my toys elsewhere…..  :mope:
Who ever thought we'd have to SAVE HOT PEPPERS on a hot pepper site???  :confused:

geeme said:

Dang, I guess this is a phishing scam site, not THE HOT PEPPER site…. guess I'll take my toys elsewhere…..  :mope:

Who ever thought we'd have to SAVE HOT PEPPERS on a hot pepper site???  :confused:
Who ever thought that saying that carbonara doesn't need heat means all thp have to save hot peppers? :D

Carbonara is without hot stuff. I tried with, i prefer without (as other very very few dishes).
Btw that black pepper on guanciale was extremely spicy, nearly hot itself, you had to taste it. :D

Essegi said:
Btw that black pepper on guanciale was extremely spicy, nearly hot itself, you had to taste it. :D
Yeah... no. I can't stand black pepper, or any other pepper not in the capsicum family. I am pretty repulsed by the stuff, and can't understand how anyone actually likes it. I look at a dish like yours and think "that looks really awesome. How much better it would be without black pepper (BP) and add some really nice capsicum instead." To me it's not about heat, but about flavor. I'd go for no-heat  to full-heat chile powder on top of that instead of BP any day because of the flavor.  But like I said, it looks awesome!  :D

SAVE HOT PEPPERS!!!!!  :lol:

frydad4 said:
Looks good, Ess.
I don't think I've ever had proper Carbonara.
Imho it belongs to miracle food, poor origins, easy to do and amazing.

geeme said:
Yeah... no. I can't stand black pepper, or any other pepper not in the capsicum family. I am pretty repulsed by the stuff, and can't understand how anyone actually likes it. I look at a dish like yours and think "that looks really awesome. How much better it would be without black pepper (BP) and add some really nice capsicum instead." To me it's not about heat, but about flavor. I'd go for no-heat  to full-heat chile powder on top of that instead of BP any day because of the flavor.  But like I said, it looks awesome!  :D

SAVE HOT PEPPERS!!!!!  :lol:
Eh eh i know! But i can't give up black pepper with 2 things: onions and carbonara!:D And in grilled meat too.
Btw i won't give up experimenting hot stuff with that dish: must retry with powder (maybe a different one) and above all fresh pods when i'll have them.
The problem is that improving something so good is hard!:D

Very nice sir, is that bucatini?

No, spaghetti quadrati Molisana brand.
At the moment i'm buying only these. They're very good.
Bucatini are often used for the other big bacon/guanciale italian pasta dish: amatriciana (or matriciana...).
And i've just read that original recipe wants spaghetti and not bucatini here. And has hot peppers!
I still prefer carbonara though (it's just so good). :P

That's thick spaghetti right? Either that or the plate is small. That's why I thought it was bucatini.

Yeah, cooking time is 12 mins, but it's not enough and you could cook 17 and are still good. Definetly thicker than normal and with square section.

Nice! I have to see if I can get this pasta. No fan of thin spaghetti here. Bucatini is cool because it's hollow, so thick but not so dense.

Good move if you find them!
Btw cooking time is 13 mins, not 12 as i said (and they still need more time :D).
15B is the code print on package. :)

Back