• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Making pepper powder...

I'm almost ready to powder some of my pods and would like to know your method.

I'm thinking coffee grinder, maybe?;)

Cheap normal coffee grinder gets my vote although Magic bullet works fairly well and is sealed, just not as fine a grind

I use the magic bullet and use the two bladed chopper thingy. The two blade make a finer powder than the 4 blade.

Thanks, lads!

I had first considered using a pestle & mortar then realised I was no longer ignorant of the power of the dust!

I thought about the mortar/pestle way myself huntsman, even went out and bought one. Then I got smart and found a coffee bean grinder. They're all pretty much the same. I did find one that has a timer. Just select the grind, hit the button and hold on.

Couple of things, make sure the peppers are totally dry. If they're even slightly moist the powder will clump up and give it some time before you remove the lid. Pepper dust sucks when it's up your nose.

Good luck.

Hey Patrick - thanks, man! Good advice regarding the damp pods...;-)

I actually have a blender, SS, but it has a huge jar, so far too big, I'm sure.

(I plan to toss some Salt 'n Naga over some fresh popcorn tomorrow...)

Hey Huntsman,

Be sure to heed Patricks' advice re: waiting to open the grinder. You think you had the snotties de-seeding, just wait til you get a nose full of hottie dust.:shocked::hell:

And be sure to grind OUTside.

huntsman said:
I actually have a blender, SS, but it has a huge jar, so far too big, I'm sure.

Unscrew the blade assembly from your blender pitcher and attach to your mason jelly jar and invert onto the blender.
I bought a new blade assembly for the pepper grinding jar for convenience and the new sharp blades. It does a fine job and has a greater capacity than most small coffee grinders, not to mention the 800 watts of variable power and air tight seal. :)

DSCN0835.jpg

DownRiver said:
Hey Huntsman,

Be sure to heed Patricks' advice re: waiting to open the grinder. You think you had the snotties de-seeding, just wait til you get a nose full of hottie dust.:shocked::hell:

And be sure to grind OUTside.

Perish the thought...! Lol!

Cool idea there, SS - thanks!

I coarse grind mine in a food processor first to break them up.
I makes the pods go down into powder faster when you put them in the coffee grinder.
I don't burn out as many coffee grinders when I break them up first.
I also use 3 grinders.Otherwise they heat up too fast when I'm making a lot of powder at a time.
A warm or hot grinder makes the powder sticky with some peppers and they clump up.

Heat is no problem with a good blender if you can still find one today. The base of the Osterizer Imperial VIII I use is very heavy (lots of copper windings in the motor), nearly 30 years old and still runs like new. A few pulses on the chop speed and then a shift to puree for 20 or 30 secs gives a fine grind that will attack your nose and eyes when transferring the powder to its storage container.

They surely don't make them like they used to. :( Appliances today are engineered to have a limited life span, not made to last.

so far i have used an old coffee grinder circa 1980? i just put enough pieces in to fill tap the top, wait tkae off the top put more etc..
i'm going to try out that blender idea.

+1 for cheap coffee bean grinder from Wal-mart. Works great.

I dry my pods in a Nesco dehydrator for a few hours at about 130 degrees before powderizing them (I think that's a real word....)

We used to use a coffee grinder for spices, peppers, etc. It burned out, so we started using a small food processor. It seems to work ok, and I think the motor is a little beafier. I never used a blender, but I just checked and an 8 oz mason jar fits on our blender just fine. Will have to try it out on something soon.

I use the coffee grinder and shake it up, down, all around. This way leaves nothing but fine dust. I am going to try the mason jar on the blender. Very cool idea.

I use my Indian high speed grinder/blender.

But I am sure local coffee grinder would be a cheaper alternative and also a better one.

Back