• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

"Malagueta" pepper oil attempt

So I was at a Brazilian restaurant today and they had a condiment which went amazingly with the black beans and rice, the bartender informed me it was "malagueta"; basically malagueta peppers (similar heat level to tobasco) garlic & onions in a mixture of olive oil and vegetable oil. I made something similar tonight, I'll upload pictures tomorrow of the sauce as I'm posting this from my phone.
Ingrediants I used:
0.62lb "finger hot pepper" (looks like a Thai hot but bigger, hope heat level is right)
4 cloves garlic
1 small spanish yellow onion
1/2tsp Ginger powder (didn't have fresh)
1tbl crushed sea salt
1/2qt olive oil
1/2qt vegetable oil

process:
boil 1qt jar and cap
chop onion and garlic
remove stems from pepper, cut larger peppers in half
put oil, onion & garlic in pan
bring almost to smoke point (will bubble but not smoke)
when onions become translucent add peppers
cook until peppers become soft (10-15min)
add Ginger powder & sea salt remove from heat
use tongs to move peppers to mason jar
pour oil and remaining garlic and onions into jar
cap warm, allow to cool (and seal)

I'm going to let this sit for a couple weeks, and turn it ocassionally - if the taste I've taken is any indicator it should go well with any Mexican/brazilian/Peruvian or hot cooking in general. I expect it to Increase in heat and flavor.

Feel free to comment, this was a first draft based off what little information i could get out of the bartender and condiment (as I was devouring it). If there are any brazilians out there, I'd appreciate your suggestions most of all.

Sounds positively awesome! :cool:

It's funny, I have been, like, IN LOVE with chilli oil for a very long time but have never actually tried to make it myself....

Yeah I couldn't believe how good it was at the restaurant that I had to give it a whirl; hope mine is as good.
The difference with this stuff vs. Other pepper oils I've seen is that it's absolutely crammed with peppers.

I made salsa last night too, but wanted to let it soak in itself for a little while - had it tonight with rice and black beans; it was wicked good.

Salsa
1 lg beefsteak tomato seeds removed and diced
2 lg jalopenos diced
1 sm Spanish yellow onion diced
4 cloves garlic minced
juice of two limes
cilantro
sea salt to taste

combine everything, put on top of anything!

Garlic oil ... IE. Fresh garlic just dropped in oil .. kept at room temp ... has a potential for Clostridium growth (botulism).

You did well to cook the garlic in the oil ... hopefully driving out any water from the garlic.

Acidifying it would also help ....

Here is some info ... http://www.ext.colos...dnut/09340.html ... scroll down to 'Garlic in oil' ...

Back