• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest March TD, African

What's your pick for March's TD?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asleep too.... been too active my body is mad at me terrible headache and other problems..... anyway had some Vicodin and cried in my bowl of ramen..... one damn day ramen will win!!!!
Gotta start researching African cuisine......
Be back shortly.....

So tempted to make snarkey comments....

But that might offend the snarks.

I'm excited it's African. It'll be fun. Get to try out a new cuisine.
I hope Bootsie changes heart and enters. He was a big voice for this selection.
And ALL of his entries thus far have been different that what we normally see...pretty cool!
He even made bagel sliders to prove it.

...and for the record, I read an article that says worms are a DELICACY in Africa.
A Delicacy!
http://www.examiner.com/culinary-travel-in-san-francisco/mopani-worms-a-menu-delicacy-limpopo-province-south-africa
Not a survival food for everyone.

Anyone who cooks worms gets front row for my vote.

And white people DO like twinkies.
(but who doesn't?)

FD

FD4- Yup Chad is a country and a THP member..... speaking of him has anyone seen him around?

Hahaha.... so get this guys I was looking around at African foods the website I was just on had a perfect dish for Scovie. They had a list of top 10 African dishes the third one was a pepper fish and egg dish..... come on really?????

I'm all over teh fish. I'll pass on the egg chingadera. C'mon Boots! You got some Bootscootin' teh do here in the t-down. C'mon back and get down brown with us compadre.

I also was also checking out the African recipes...and I've pretty much decided the protein. Just have to find it~

(imagine the google search engine bot suddenly going wonkers because of the unusually high searches for African recipes. :lol:)

Says the chick who signed up to take roughly 32 semester hours of African Art History, culture and all......
As already mentioned, Africa is a HUGE continent, and there are as many cuisines there as here, and then some. Yes, a bit of research is necessary, but you CAN find something you will enjoy and even love.

Just like here, Africa and its cuisine has its share of external influences, starting with the Portuguese way back when on the upper Guinea coast (the area including Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana.) At one point most of the European nations and the U.S. somehow decided to carve up pieces of Africa for themselves, so depending upon which country/region you're looking at, you will find Portuguese, Spanish, German, French, and yes, good-ole US influence. There were also significant Muslim invasions and take-overs in various areas, so you'll find Middle Eastern influences as well. Anyone heard of Creole? Yes, the original Creole comes from Africa. You ever barbeque over an open fire? Yep, that's technically African, too.

Needless to say, you will find recipes that are a blend of the traditional ethnic group foods plus whatever other country influenced a particular area. So again, you CAN find something within your comfort zone that you will like, and maybe even love. When searching, I'd recommend trying to narrow down your search - pick a country (such as Ethiopia as Dan has mentioned) or even an ethnic group name and search with those rather than just "Africa." If you have a particular European or other non-African cuisine you like, and aren't sure where you might find that country's influences in Africa, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help.

worlds-largest-gummy-worm-eating.jpg

bowld.

I've decided on the cuisine of Chad.

Unless Uruguay is in Africa.
(I left my map in the car).

Do Africans eat Tater Tots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back