• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Marinade, Recipe for Kangaroo

My children have decreed they do not want Turkey or Ham for Thanksgiving. I said OK, I'll still fix a turkey for me, but I fix them possum! But I would rather try something different, like Kangaroo Medallions. However, I do not have a clue of a good recipe or rub to use, not how to fix it. Much like beef or deer? Fry, roast, bake? Pressure Cook?

The stuff is not cheap - $14/lb. at Jungle Jim's so I need to do it right!

Mike

you're gonna have to PM an aussie for this one, talk to stillz or scorpion. those two I know eat kangaroo.
& once you cook it, remember to post pics in the cooking forum.

Cook to rare as its a tough meat. Marinade for minimum 24hrs.
Cook on smoker or BBQ.
Try getting the back straps, the best most tender meat on a Roo ;)

$14 a pound! Wow it isn't that special.

Gimme a rifle and i could have about 40lbs of the stuff in around 3-4 hours :lol:

Sorry Mike was in rush when threw that up,
here is what we do, old recipe my old man used to make:

500 g Kangaroo Loin / or back strap

Marinade for 24hrs
30 ml Olive Oil
30 ml Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
Splash of bold red wine-
2 Clove Garlic
1 Bay leaf
Salt
Pepper

Combine ingredients for marinate and place in fridge 24hrs.

HOT BBQ - Place kangaroo on hot plate for about 2-3 minutes each side.

When cooked leave to rest for about ten minutes to help blood move back to the centre of the loin. Should be eaten medium/rare as said above, kangaroo has very little fat and it will toughen if overcooked.

Serve with:
8 medium-large Spanish red Onions sliced quite thick
50 ml red wine
70 g Butter
½ cup Thyme - fresh
½ cup Sage - fresh
½ cup Parsley finely chopped
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil

Pour a little oil on to the hot plate. Add onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. add herbs and wine
Add a little more olive oil to help herbs cook.
Gradually cook .
Pour either a Cabernet Sauvignon vinaigrette or red wine generously onto the onions which will give a pickled flavour.

To Serve
Slice the kangaroo loin in to thin strips and place on a layer of onion and herb and serve immediately.

And enjoy !

Back