• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

I saw it coming even...I had a good run the past couple weeks

I tip my hat to you sir

Pepper related- I just went and checked the last batch of germing seeds..was waiting on a few of the last ones from my delayed THP delivery...the 'White Wasp', 'Phurple Bhut' and 'Pink Tiger' have all hooked and emerged from the darkness which is exciting. Think just the Poblanos is the last one I am waiting on, and tbh I am not overly concerned if they don't and won't resow.

Finally did some sorting last night and made an inventory of what I had on the go, as well got most of the smaller stuff to the top shelf and bigger to the middle which will help me keep the watering schedule more even, which was becoming a huge problem.

Took a few pics but they are absolutely terrible, no matter what angle it was put at I just could not get anyhting without the color streaks :banghead:

S0dAPqI.jpg

DeulLMR.jpg

hEFWFLj.jpg

It may be the phone I normally use my other one for pictures, this one we jsut use it for the kids to watch Youtube and as an Ipod these days.

May as well forget about even having a list at the start since I went completely off the map,though I was waiting on some stuff which did not help me stick to my guns thats for sure. Anyways here is what I have...for now....

LIST
White Naga - x5
Mustard Reaper X - x5
Chachuca - x8
Red Savina X Fattalli - x2
Red Ghost - x5
7 Pot Pink - x4
JPGS - x2
Devils Breath - x4
Tangerine Hab - x3
Purple Bhut - x2
Yellow Thai - x2
7 Pot Burgendy - x3
Sugar Rush X Mango - x3
Peach Bleeder - x2
Bhutlah Lime X - x2
Monster Apocallise - x2
Bleeding Heart Yellow - x1
Bonda Mahala - x1
SB Long - x2
Fidalga Roxa - x2
Yaky Blue Fawn - x1
Orange Yaky - x4
Purple Reaper - x8
CP115 - x5
MOA SB - x2
JAFSH Black - x4
Choc Fatalli - x5
BB7 Midnight - x2
Tepin X Lemon Drop - x9
Macapa - x1
Bahemian Goat - x9
JPGS - x1
Tiger Bibi - x6
Peach Gum Tiger - x4
Arseclown - x3
Badgers Mystery - x3
BB7 White - x7
White Lightning Bolt - x3
Aji Charpita - x1
Devils Tongue White - x4
Bad Brains - x1
Farmers Jalapeno - x2

Kinda puts me off my 40ish plant limit I had given myself....... :high: :high: :high: :high: :high: :high:

DWB said:
Jeez brother, it makes my head hurt to even think about keeping up with all these different varieties.

I definitely paniced when I was getting bad or very slow germination rates, so being impatient certainly did not help me out here. Started to worry that I would not have enough stuff going and it would just get too late, I think it is going to be very important to have a running start, this season in particular anyways.

Will have to cut out a hand full of varieties as well cut down on the number of plants I am going to keep, the first being the hardest of course.

Was disappointed I was only able to get 1 Yaky Blue Fawn and so far have not been able to get any Red Manzanos to sprout, though I have 2 separate pots of them sitting on the heat mat still

Plants look great, Matty! 

And that list is a real collection of insanity!

Good luck with your 40 plant limit!

Try to lower the temp a bit on the Red Rocotos
and see if that helps them to sprout.

PaulG said:
Plants look great, Matty! 

And that list is a real collection of insanity!

Good luck with your 40 plant limit!

Try to lower the temp a bit on the Red Rocotos
and see if that helps them to sprout.

Interesting...Which makes sense since all I have read is they prefer the lower temps compared to most others. Thanks Paul :cheers:

Yeah I think it added up to 144 plants in that list...give or take a couple at most anyways.. So maybe 60-75 plants??? LOL

I was reading a thread last week and I am sure a few of you probably read it as well, anyways someone asked aboot putting more then 1 plant in a 5G bucket...Which most replied it was ok and they did not notice any difference in the output or the size of the plants. I do have maybe 9-10 larger 10G metal buckets as well with my 5gs and the pile of fabric stuff I have bought, could easily shove 2 in the larger ones as well maybe a couple each in the 5gs...any thoughts on that lads?

The problem really is not the space outside but making it to that point and not having the plants shoved into small containers ( on the grow shelf)being stunted or so badly root bound it takes forever to recover...... :think:

I think it would be okay to have two plants in a 10-gallon
container. They are going to compete a bit, so feed well
and prune to avoid tangled growth and have some space  
for air circulation. I'm not sure about a 5-gallon.  

My plants totally fill the 15-18 gallon containers with roots
over the course of a season.

CDNmatt said:
May as well forget about even having a list at the start since I went completely off the map,though I was waiting on some stuff which did not help me stick to my guns thats for sure. Anyways here is what I have...for now....

LIST
White Naga - x5
Mustard Reaper X - x5
Chachuca - x8
Red Savina X Fattalli - x2
Red Ghost - x5
7 Pot Pink - x4
JPGS - x2
Devils Breath - x4
Tangerine Hab - x3
Purple Bhut - x2
Yellow Thai - x2
7 Pot Burgendy - x3
Sugar Rush X Mango - x3
Peach Bleeder - x2
Bhutlah Lime X - x2
Monster Apocallise - x2
Bleeding Heart Yellow - x1
Bonda Mahala - x1
SB Long - x2
Fidalga Roxa - x2
Yaky Blue Fawn - x1
Orange Yaky - x4
Purple Reaper - x8
CP115 - x5
MOA SB - x2
JAFSH Black - x4
Choc Fatalli - x5
BB7 Midnight - x2
Tepin X Lemon Drop - x9
Macapa - x1
Bahemian Goat - x9
JPGS - x1
Tiger Bibi - x6
Peach Gum Tiger - x4
Arseclown - x3
Badgers Mystery - x3
BB7 White - x7
White Lightning Bolt - x3
Aji Charpita - x1
Devils Tongue White - x4
Bad Brains - x1
Farmers Jalapeno - x2

Kinda puts me off my 40ish plant limit I had given myself....... :high: :high: :high: :high: :high: :high:
I think we found out why the polar ice caps are melting [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDNmatt said:
I was reading a thread last week and I am sure a few of you probably read it as well, anyways someone asked aboot putting more then 1 plant in a 5G bucket..

You won't get a whole lot of yield but if all you want is a good taste, put a few different plants in a 5 gallon. Red, yellow and brown makes for a festive plant group. Heheh, mardi gras plantings.

After all your work, it will be borderline criminal if you don't at least a few pods of everything you have growing..

CaneDog said:
I'm not a fan of multiple plants in a pot and agree with both above to do so cautiously/sparingly and expecting some impact on performance.  Just my $0.02 from my experiences.

BTW, what is the current conversion rate on 2 cents in USD to CAD?  Does my advise gain or lose any value crossing the border - assuming it has any value to begin with?

Tis aboot .30c on the $1...so 1.30cdn for $1US...you gain half a cent?? I think?? lol

CDNmatt said:
I was getting ready to do an update post last night then fell asleep in my computer chair for at least an hour while waiting for the pics to upload. I woke up too "Hey pepper nerd...go to bed" from my wife at 2am.

Split up a bunch of the smaller seedlings that germ'd in the same pot

qaOxQDm.jpg

esImvaH.jpg

Plants ready to be upsized...Some over ready for the small pot's they were in.

7WPJEL4.jpg

qDrh1sA.jpg

lVA5M9Y.jpg

SOOOOO...I saw this coming last week " A victim of your own success" - as Paul mildly put it. I was left with little choice and lit up the top shelf over the weekend, its hard to tell from the pics but it is certainly much brighter then the middle. I tossed in some more blocks to raise the plants closer to the lights similar to the middle, though they are closer as its a few inches shorter.

31cHGKN.jpg

Is still a small batch germing on the single heat mat and have a couple trays with odds and ends waiting to see if anything else pops....I am going to have some hard decisions to make in the coming weeks,  may need to try and find some homes or sell some excess plants if I can.....Would hate to have to just kill the poor buggers after even just the time already put into them.

I'm still playing catchup, but I wanted to post a tip I learned from Shane to control plant height in the grow station. Pizza boxes, we rarely throw one away..

CaneDog said:
I feel for ya Matt.  I just went through a hard round of culls as I'm getting ready to do my second-to-last major sowing for the season. Don't enjoy shutting down plants, especially some I've been growing for months. But there's only so much space and when you plant enough to be sure you get what you want, you always end up with those extras.

I never cull, I just drop the plants in a 10 for a dollar, dollar store pot and bring them to work. They may kill them; but it's on them :shh:

CaneDog said:
I feel for ya Matt.  I just went through a hard round of culls as I'm getting ready to do my second-to-last major sowing for the season. Don't enjoy shutting down plants, especially some I've been growing for months. But there's only so much space and when you plant enough to be sure you get what you want, you always end up with those extras.

I never cull, I just drop the plants in a 10 for a dollar, dollar store pot and bring them to work. They may kill them; but it's on them :shh:

Back