• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

Devv said:
I walked right by tending the BBQ pit.

This is one of the reasons diamondbacks are known as gentleman snakes. They let you get away with a lot if you're innocent.

I walked right by this fairly large one that was laying under a live oak in front of the garage. Never saw it. I backed the Kubota out to do some work and shut it off right beside this snake. As I got off the wrong side of the mow, I saw him. Too late then because I was on the ground. He did nothing but peacefully allow me to put him into a nice garbage can.

lxNgb6N.jpg

waQrYA3.jpg

Another year,on the first day of spring, I walked through a board gate in a board fence into our front yard and on out to a front pasture to check on the horse watering valve. A nice spring morning and suitable attire was short pants with low work boots. On the way back, while I was still 20 yards from the gate, I saw him. A medium diamondback laying just inside the gate and tucked up nice cozy to the boottom fence board, all curled up and comfy. On my way though the gate, I swung my bare leg within inches of this snake and he never moved a muscle.

But they're not always so generous. One Saturday afternoon our elderly Golden Retriever Christy was lying just inside of that same gate, watching for her mommy to come driving in from shopping. A large diamondback came under the fence and arbitrarily tagged her. I was in my office working and she was about 8' from my window. I heard her scream.That was a $3000 bite and I barely got her to the vet in time.

I later learned why this happened. One of our horses got after this snake and was bitten. The snake was scared and running away. It came out of the west horse pasture, crossed a lane, and ran though our side yard and under the gate. Purely shitass luck for the dog. The horse was okay without treatment but it was many hours later before I discovered his bite.

The snake didn't fare so well. I sentenced him to life imprisonment in a Central Florida venom lab where the bastard lived in a crate, ate hot dogs and was milked for every drop of his highly neurotoxic venom until the day he died.

When I was a kid, my dad had a friend that had found a rattlesnake when it was like 6 inches long. He raised it to be at least 3 feet, then the city found out he had it and made him get it out of the city limits...

So my dad brings home this snake in a rickety wood and glass aquarium with a plywood lid.

He would put the box that the mice came in, down in with the snake, and the snake would curl up in the box to sleep. My dad would take a fireplace poker and slide the opening up against the glass, then use a fireplace shovel to scoop its poop.

One day it got out of the box and was striking up out of the aquarium, I was probably 10. My brother and I ran to the bedroom and got up on the top bunk. I remember looking at the crack on the bottom of the door, thinking it was gonna come for us lol.

After that my dad built this slick ass cage with a trap door for putting mice in. And a more sturdy box to contain him while cleaning. We ended up giving it back to the guy after a few years. It was cool watching it hit mice, but I didn't really miss it.

Walchit said:
When I was a kid, my dad had a friend that had found a rattlesnake when it was like 6 inches long. He raised it to be at least 3 feet, then the city found out he had it and made him get it out of the city limits...

So my dad brings home this snake in a rickety wood and glass aquarium with a plywood lid.

He would put the box that the mice came in, down in with the snake, and the snake would curl up in the box to sleep. My dad would take a fireplace poker and slide the opening up against the glass, then use a fireplace shovel to scoop its poop.

One day it got out of the box and was striking up out of the aquarium, I was probably 10. My brother and I ran to the bedroom and got up on the top bunk. I remember looking at the crack on the bottom of the door, thinking it was gonna come for us lol.

After that my dad built this slick ass cage with a trap door for putting mice in. And a more sturdy box to contain him while cleaning. We ended up giving it back to the guy after a few years. It was cool watching it hit mice, but I didn't really miss it.

I had a good friend who had a few different snakes...one was a pretty chill smaller type python...he named him Monty and it would just lay around on ya I didn't mind that one...Then he got a couple bigger tree pythons...and they were mean as hell....Not snakes you could bring out and handle but every timewe watched a few episodes of 'The Crocodile Hunter' after some  :high:  :high:   he would think he was Steve and try to bring these things out AND they would bite him so damn hard.

My dad had all sorts of critters and such when I wsa growing up...had a caiman which he got when it was only aboot 6-7 inches long...by the time he had to get rid of it the damn thing was nearly 4ft or so...had a huge tank he would keep it in and he and his friends would get drunk and play with it...I would wake up to go to school and all my winter mitts were all ripped up from the dumb asses trying to pick it up.

Couple quick update shots.......

Here is a small bunch from the top shelf which is all the newer smaller stuff I have on the go atm....couple casualties from getting the too dry treatment. Seems I am going to solve this over crowding problem without actually doing cuts  :crazy:

5p61wQU.jpg

An example of some of the plants I topped a couple weeks ago now......

dX9fumn.jpg

5fLH7Vb.jpg

And just a general idea of how some of the first to germ plants are doing...this bad boy is a Bahemian Goat...seems to have a nice thick stem on it already as well.

y7f7ZlN.jpg

T3Ijycl.jpg

Things took abit of a turn the past week or so with me being sick and it has taken some time to get things back in order....Some plants look better then others that is for sure but to this point I think things are going better then I expected considering the early start, I certainly anticipated more issues then I have had.

Great to see you back in the saddle, Matty!

Plants look great. Don't worry aboot losing
a plant. I had several fail to make it through
the start-up season. I always figure on a
small amount of attrition.

Good luck holding the course, eh?

You actually killed some from underwatering? Nice work! I was sick as fuck and let my back up growdown plants sit all day wilted up. Then I noticed some other plants needed watered so I got my ass up and splashed fish juice on them. I ended up just watering everything to gain me a couple days.

And I think our dads would have gotten along really good lol

Walchit said:
You actually killed some from underwatering? Nice work! I was sick as f**k and let my back up growdown plants sit all day wilted up. Then I noticed some other plants needed watered so I got my ass up and splashed fish juice on them. I ended up just watering everything to gain me a couple days.

And I think our dads would have gotten along really good lol

I saw you were sick man and I totally feel for ya. Its literally the same thing I had or still have for that matter cept its jsut a stupid cold now that won't seem to go away. Hope you guys all get better dude esp your kid/kids, I hate seeing little ones like that and its harder to medicate them like an adult can.

Yeah things are drying much faster with the extra fans on right now as well some of that stuff is alittle too heavy on the peat moss since I ran outta vermiculate when I was potting those up. I was def over watering as well so trying to get that all figured out and finding that middle ground will take abit.

And dude.....thats why I said months ago we are gonna get along real good...I swear you take the words outta my mouth some days...lol    /high five

CDNmatt said:
Couple quick update shots.......

Here is a small bunch from the top shelf which is all the newer smaller stuff I have on the go atm....couple casualties from getting the too dry treatment. Seems I am going to solve this over crowding problem without actually doing cuts  :crazy:

5p61wQU.jpg

An example of some of the plants I topped a couple weeks ago now......

dX9fumn.jpg

5fLH7Vb.jpg

And just a general idea of how some of the first to germ plants are doing...this bad boy is a Bahemian Goat...seems to have a nice thick stem on it already as well.

y7f7ZlN.jpg

T3Ijycl.jpg

Things took abit of a turn the past week or so with me being sick and it has taken some time to get things back in order....Some plants look better then others that is for sure but to this point I think things are going better then I expected considering the early start, I certainly anticipated more issues then I have had.
Beautiful plants, so compact and full

:cheers:

Thanks Bobo!!

The lights have really worked out....The biggest down side is not being able to raise them up and down with being strips of course, but they seem to give a nice even light through the entire shelf which I believe is making a big difference in nothing being wasted. If I was able to close it off would be sweet but is way too much heat and not enough space as it is for that.

Hows your stuff coming along btw?? Not sure if I have missed your updates or not?

It works out to aboot 10 full 5m rolls per shelf on the top lighting and maybe 4-5 on the sides at most but most of them are the smaller 3528s which don't really use a ton of wattage or amps.

I have 5 ATX power supplies running the lot wired via series I think it is?? I am no electrician and no I probably could of done things differently but my main aim was to make sure it was safe...not burning down the house was priority #1 you could say then the plants came next.

So its 1 500w...1 400w 2xs 300ws and 1x 250w...now each of those is a combined load including the 5v..3v and the 12v so its actually much smaller..I also wanted to make sure they were not overloaded so I used more then I needed and just hoped the PSUs would only use the power they needed not the entire capacity of the unit its self. Think an issue was how many amps each PSU could put up with as well....Next year I am going to buy a couple real 12v transformers similar to what Jaunitos has running his strips.

You are probably in parallel, all your reds go to red and your blacks go to black? I think thats recommended for a constant voltage driver like we have. I'm not an electrition either, but I've messed with 12v car stereos quite a bit.

I think when you get a constant current driver you figure out how many amps you want to run your strips at, then get the appropriate driver.

Ive been wanting to build a light with some Samsung strips on heatsinks, like the lm561c or 301b is the new one I think. Or the bridgelux strips have good reviews too.

I want to build one that uses about 100 watts and nicely covers a 3'x5' area. But I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Yeah your right it would be a parallel rig then.

In the past year there has been a big step in SMDs and your seeing more and more companys jumping on board with new lighting boards and real good quality stuff.

Like even the 7020 and 8520s ect on ebay and Ali express are leaps and bounds better then the strups I haave for instance since they are all korean import smds. This year was more of a trial thing for me, and now that I have seen it work I would and will upgrade to better strips. But for $40 CDN give or take per shelf it was certainly worth doing, mind you I did not have to buy anything to power them either.

CDNmatt said:
Thanks Bobo!!

The lights have really worked out....The biggest down side is not being able to raise them up and down with being strips of course, but they seem to give a nice even light through the entire shelf which I believe is making a big difference in nothing being wasted. If I was able to close it off would be sweet but is way too much heat and not enough space as it is for that.

Hows your stuff coming along btw?? Not sure if I have missed your updates or not?
Its coming along, need to update my glog not just the grow down one
Your running a lot of lights on your setup, I could probably learn a thing or two

Back