• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Me So Horny Smoked Salmon

POTAWIE said:
Thanks for the inspiration TB, I just made a batch myself and am thinking of doing another batch before christmas since the stuff is so addictive.

I forgot to take a pic of the smoking process, it was snowing quite hard. Here's what's left of the finished product.

3125542460_3bd5672cc9.jpg

What marinade or rub did you use? We need a full and complete flavor report!! One thing that will also help is to slice the fish thin as not only will it help the marinade soak in but also expedite the smoking and overall give it better texture. That stuff looks lovely Potawie!!

Cheers, TB.

I use a recipe similar to yours TB, and I used pineapple this time and a couple types of teriyaki sauce I had in the fridge as well as some honey garlic sauce. I was going to cut all the peices smaller but one of my finer mesh smoker racks went missing in the snow and I didn't want salmon peices falling through the regular grate. Next batch I plan to add some smoked peppers to spice things up a bit but overall this was the best salmon I've ever had.

POTAWIE said:
I use a recipe similar to yours TB, and I used pineapple this time and a couple types of teriyaki sauce I had in the fridge as well as some honey garlic sauce. I was going to cut all the peices smaller but one of my finer mesh smoker racks went missing in the snow and I didn't want salmon peices falling through the regular grate. Next batch I plan to add some smoked peppers to spice things up a bit but overall this was the best salmon I've ever had.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout! That crap in the store that they try to pass off as smoked salmon is just that...crap! Any joe sixpack can make stuff that blows away the 20 dollah' a pound sold. I genuflect to you Potawie for your outstanding efforts!

Cheers, TB.

Do you guys leave the skin on while you smoke your salmon? And if you do, do you peel it off after its done or say screw it and eat the skin too? There's little more rewarding to me (at least as far as smoking and grilling is concerned) than smoking some salmon and being able to slide the spatula between the skin and flesh for perfect skin removal... but curious what others do... especially those who may be more experienced in the salmon smoking department than me.

I so Hungry!You guys using Alder I'm guessing?I happen to have a bit of that and I could always put off that brisket!
Cheers to you TB!

I hate you guys......:lol:

I don't have a proper smoker :(, So I use an old large biscuit tin....I use a steel mesh tray that sits about half way up the tin and put a single piece of salmon on it.....I put herbs and smoking wood chips in the bottom and put the whole thing on the grill of the BBQ.....I also have a few holes punched in the lid of the tin...

I haven't tried a wet marinade yet but should be able to follow the same above process, so I will try it soon....

I'm the only one in the house that likes smoked salmon so only smoking one slice is ok....

Smokenstein said:
Do you guys leave the skin on while you smoke your salmon? And if you do, do you peel it off after its done or say screw it and eat the skin too? There's little more rewarding to me (at least as far as smoking and grilling is concerned) than smoking some salmon and being able to slide the spatula between the skin and flesh for perfect skin removal... but curious what others do... especially those who may be more experienced in the salmon smoking department than me.

Generally skin off. Some folks like to skin it and take the skin and fry it up with a little oil, salt and pepper untill crispy.
Not my cup of tea though.

Cheers, TB.

imaguitargod said:
Hey TB! Did you ever send the gift package?

I was going to send yours and my daughters out today but thought with all the Fedex and UPS traffic..it might not get there on a delivery date and sit around and who knows what...So it'll go out after the holidays as I am so stupid to wait too late.

Cheers, TB.

scoville said:
I so Hungry!You guys using Alder I'm guessing?I happen to have a bit of that and I could always put off that brisket!
Cheers to you TB!

Say it isn't so! Brisket! Brisket! Brisket!

BTW..I've been using a mix of apple and mesquite.

Cheers, TB.

Back