• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Meat Rub

OK I figured I would start with the most inexpensive product I make to begin commercial packing. I have a couple of different meat rubs that I am going to be packing here shortly. (I know they will probably tell me at the kitchen but I would like to know beforehand). Do you have to supply "Nutritional Value" for spices and meat rubs? I went through my spice cabinet and some have it and others don't. Or does it depend on whats in it?I know once again I cannot bottle this in my own kitchen so I have found a commercial spice maker that (not only give me a huge discount on the spices) will make the stuff for me...here we go again with the confidentiality agreements and everything all over again...but it will be worth it.

Larry Wolfe has been selling his rub commercially. He's making it at home (for now). You may want to contact him....He's a member here.

Yes, he has the ingredients, Nut value, and UPC on his label.

Scotty said:
Larry Wolfe has been selling his rub commercially. He's making it at home (for now). You may want to contact him....He's a member here.

Yes, he has the ingredients, Nut value, and UPC on his label.

I wish i could make it at home...it would be alot cheaper!! I know when I spoke to the FDA here in Ohio they told me it must be made in a commercial kitchen.

Dyce51 said:
I wish i could make it at home...it would be alot cheaper!! I know when I spoke to the FDA here in Ohio they told me it must be made in a commercial kitchen.

Get in touch with your states Dept of Agriculture and/or your local Health Department. There's ALOT of restrictions doing it from your home and in most cases you won't be able to. Now there are other options you may (depending on your states regulations) have without using a co-packer, like using a FDA approved facility. This could be an FDA approved kitchen in a church, VFW, restaurant etc. You could rent them for a couple hours they're not operational. Your State and local governments will be a tremendous help, at least mine was.

Now as far as doing it cheaper at home.............it's actually cheaper to have it done with a co-packer, but the minimum most co-packers have is what drives your costs up. Fortunately I have a co-packer that will do batches as small as 400 bottles. Most of the other co-packers do a minimum of 1000 bottles per batch and for someone just starting off, 1000 bottles of something you're not sure is gonna be market worthy is alot of bottles to be just sitting around collecting dust and it's also a large financial liablity as well. Your Dept of Agriculture should also be able to provide you with a list of local co-packers as well.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Good luck! :)

Thaks Larry. Ya I've been dealing with the FDA and the state Health Dept. I will give them a call again.

Thanks guys... I too have been trying to get something going with a spice here in Louisiana....Your info helps a lot.

Primo

well I spoke to the Ohio Dept of Agriculture today. They gave me some decent news...although I cannot make it at home. I can find a FDA approved kitchen (basicall any kitchen that has a food service lisence) and make it there. They tell me the only catch is, I have to store it at the location it was made. I am not allowed to store it at home.

Dyce51 said:
They tell me the only catch is, I have to store it at the location it was made. I am not allowed to store it at home.
That's a big catch. Good luck on finding someone who'll do that. Did you ask them if you had a copacker make it, where you could store it then?

Dyce51 said:
well I spoke to the Ohio Dept of Agriculture today. They gave me some decent news...although I cannot make it at home. I can find a FDA approved kitchen (basicall any kitchen that has a food service lisence) and make it there. They tell me the only catch is, I have to store it at the location it was made. I am not allowed to store it at home.

I have FDA approval of a rub and am approved out of the house. (NC laws) I can't get the cost down enough to make it profitable. This rub has some expensive stuff in it. I am planning on introducing it to the line someday but first, Blue's Habanero Reserve!

imaguitargod said:
That's a big catch. Good luck on finding someone who'll do that. Did you ask them if you had a copacker make it, where you could store it then?

Yes I did...If made at a co-packer must be stored there....The copacker I'm goin to use has the storage facility and got very good remarks from the ODA when I told them who I am gonna use.

[quote name='Blue's']I have FDA approval of a rub and am approved out of the house. (NC laws) I can't get the cost down enough to make it profitable. This rub has some expensive stuff in it. I am planning on introducing it to the line someday but first, Blue's Habanero Reserve![/QUOTE]

Here in Ohio only certain foods that fall under the "Cottage Food" catagory can be produced out of the house and they say meat rub doesn't meet that catagory..

Shoot me a list of you expensive stuff and I'll see what I can find for ya...I have some pretty cheap resources. I may be able to help ya get the cost down so ya make some money!!!

I am wondering what the heck you use that is so cost prohibitive. I might also have a name for you locally, Blue, that could help get your stuff. I will look it up and PM you.

For example at tthe local grocery store (giant eagle) Paprika costs me almost 4 bucks for a lil shaker bottle full....I buy it by the pound for aroun 5-6 bucks per pound....Habaneros the one supplier I have used I bought a case for 7 bucks (what a steal!!!) It all depends on what kinds of deals my suppliers get, the deal is passed on....

New Spice guy

Hey everyone,

It has only taken me around 3 yrs to find this awesome site....and I have a lot of questions. I am sure that you have already been asked or replied to them, and if so I apologize for asking again...but can anyone point me in the right direction of a good copacker in the ohio area willing to pack small amounts. Just by a quick glance at the threads I see that there are some that will do 400 bottles. I would really appreciate the help.

Howie

Back