• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

HAJ said:
Interesting colour on the Maldivian Orange X Pimanta de Neyde. Is that a F1 ?

I.e. bump !
Thanks for the bump. Yes it is, supposed to be a Maldivian but when I saw the color difference at sprouting I already knew it was going to be a cross. Asked the person I got the seeds from and he told me the Pimenta de Neyde was growing next to it, although he isolated the flowers... :)

IMAG3187_.jpg

IMAG3186_.jpg

IMAG3183_.jpg

IMAG3182_.jpg

IMAG3181_.jpg

IMAG3180_.jpg

IMAG3179_.jpg

IMAG3178_.jpg
IMAG3175_.jpg

IMAG1547_.jpg

Another bump would be nice :D

meatfreak said:
Thanks for the bump. Yes it is, supposed to be a Maldivian but when I saw the color difference at sprouting I already knew it was going to be a cross. Asked the person I got the seeds from and he told me the Pimenta de Neyde was growing next to it, although he isolated the flowers... :)

I'm trying to get my PdN to cross with something, and all the flowers fall off. He is trying to avoid a cross and gets one. The world is not fair !

Anyway, lovely pictures. Keep'em coming <bump>.

Portuge said:
Loving those lil strawberries, weird how they bleed...
It's really cool, I would grown them next season only for that reason :lol:

Last pictures of the harvest, the rest was to small to even take the trouble of making a picture.

IMAG1546_.jpg

IMAG1545_.jpg

IMAG1542_.jpg

IMAG1538_.jpg

IMAG1537_.jpg

And a picture of the product of my labor this past weekend :)
IMAG1524-1.jpg

Basic tomato sauce and Salsa Verde. All with produce from my own garden, except for the cumin, salt and black pepper of course :P

Another harvest today... man these are busy times. Long days and short nights. Can't complain, can't complain :D
IMAG1527-1.jpg

And the weather is also great! We have around 70-72F during the day and at night it's around 60F. Even 64F now! Forecasts say it stays like this for another 2 weeks.

HAJ said:

I'm trying to get my PdN to cross with something, and all the flowers fall off. He is trying to avoid a cross and gets one. The world is not fair !

Anyway, lovely pictures. Keep'em coming <bump>.
Yeah I know :lol: The pods that are hanging on the plant now do have the shape of the P. de Neyde but bigger. It's gonna be a variety I will definitely grow out next season, already got a name for it  :oops:

Devv said:
Very nice harvest with great variety!

That purple gal from the 5 color is amazing! How do they taste?
Cheers, Scott. I have no idea, haven't had the time to even process thus taste them yet. I ripped of the purple one by accident, first they are dark purple, yellow, orange and then red. Lovely variety. Wanted to process them tonight but just got home from watering the plants and don't really feel up to it. Most of the harvest will be dried, the ripe Jals will go into the freezer till I got enough ripe ones to smoke a whole batch (which won't be long when I checked the plants tonight, lot's of color).
The Scotch Bonnet's will go into the freezer as well so I can use them when I make Jerk Chicken or later for sauce.

ronniedeb said:
Nice harvests. I grew several Chimayo plants this year too. Quite a bit of variety in pod shape.
From what I've read on the internet it's quite common that they vary in pod shape. As long as they taste good :D

PeriPeri said:
Now that is a harvest that just makes it all worth it! Awesome Stefan!
Thanks, Lourens. These are the money shots :D luckily there's more to come very soon.

Sanarda said:
Beautiful harvests
Thank you, Pia!

When I was at the garden today I couldn't help to make some pictures of the Jalapeño PS11435810. This variety creates monsters, huge pods :D
IMAG3200.jpg

IMAG3201.jpg

Also a better photo of the Bhut Jolokia Mustard, the unripe pods have this bright green color.
IMAG3202.jpg

noticed your gochus are nice and round on the bottom.. did RICK STICKMAN send you seeds?? he sent me some seeds last year and i grew them.. 2 different plants i got from them.. one is long and pointy...

the ones you have might be a jalapeno x gochu cross

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
noticed your gochus are nice and round on the bottom.. did RICK STICKMAN send you seeds?? he sent me some seeds last year and i grew them.. 2 different plants i got from them.. one is long and pointy...

the ones you have might be a jalapeno x gochu cross
I doubt it, they look pretty true to me. These were the first ones formed, the other pods hanging on the plant are much longer and looks like they should be. Got the seeds from Rick indeed.

meatfreak said:

From what I've read on the internet it's quite common that they vary in pod shape. As long as they taste good :D

They do vary quite a bit in shape depending on soil conditions, microclimate and rainfall... Last year we had a hot, dry summer and I ended up with short cones with shallow lobes. This year was cooler and wetter, and they were three times as long, bumpy and twisted. The aroma was really heady when you dried and ground them though!

Glad you and DeNNiZ both got some Gochu action going on... They're just OK fresh... thick skinned with thin flesh, so they come out kinda leathery if you cook with the ripe pods. Where they really shine is as powder.

stickman said:

They do vary quite a bit in shape depending on soil conditions, microclimate and rainfall... Last year we had a hot, dry summer and I ended up with short cones with shallow lobes. This year was cooler and wetter, and they were three times as long, bumpy and twisted. The aroma was really heady when you dried and ground them though!

Glad you and DeNNiZ both got some Gochu action going on... They're just OK fresh... thick skinned with thin flesh, so they come out kinda leathery if you cook with the ripe pods. Where they really shine is as powder.
Thanks for the insight, I will taste one fresh and dry the other ones. If the ones that are hanging on the plants will ripe of in time I will get to make some nice powder of them :) Mine are pretty long as well, about 6inch.

PeriPeri said:
NIce one Stefan! That is a meal right there :)
It sure was, Lourens :D

Yesterday I made some white tomato sauce of all the white maters I had :) Also dried some red cherry's and plum tomatoes.
IMAG3203.jpg

IMAG3198_.jpg

Another tasty and good looking variety although it hasn't been prolific, only got 4 tomatoes :lol:
IMAG1534_.jpg

IMAG3196_.jpg

So today I finally got to tasting the Bubblegum 7. Since my heat tolerance isn't that high I decided to try the tip of the pepper to avoid the most heat... boy was I wrong :lol: The heat come on slowly and builded up and after a couple of minutes my mouth and lips were on fire, also my stomach wasn't to happy for over an hour. Taste wise it reminded me a lot of the 7 Pot Brain Strain Red. Not to overwhelming Chinense scent, fruity aroma but I couldn't taste anything special about it. Now my tastebuds aren't the best in the world when it comes to describing flavors of peppers so I'm not the best reference in that area. I love how the stem is red inside, how bizarre!

IMAG1558_.jpg

Back