• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

I had my bbg7 today that matches yours. It was a beast like the other pheno, but slightly different in burn and taste.
Glad you went for it.
That one is beautifully red inside the stem!
I ended up eating half a pod with my lunch. :hot:

wahlee76 said:
You're a brave man in my book anyway :P
Just tasted a sampler, you should try it as well ;)

Portuge said:
Very interesting as to how the stem is red as well...
It sure is, although it's probably only the stem on which the pod is attached. Not the rest of the plant or is it?

Devv said:
So is the Bubblegum a keeper?

The more you taste the easier it gets :D

I like to keep my beverage of choice on hand for such occasions..
For looks only it's already a keeper, but the taste is pretty good! Gonna grow this out next season, got more then enough spots. If you want I can send you some seeds of it by the end of the season. I actually didn't drink anything, sure it was hot but luckily not face melting.

GA Growhead said:
I had my bbg7 today that matches yours. It was a beast like the other pheno, but slightly different in burn and taste.
Glad you went for it.
That one is beautifully red inside the stem!
I ended up eating half a pod with my lunch. :hot:
Different taste and burn huh? Wouldn't expected that. What did you think of the taste and flavor? I thought it was very similar with the 7Pot Brain Strain Red I had last season. Half a pod for lunch, still got a long road to go before I will do something like that :lol:

Love the 'mater pics Stefan... it looks like you have almost as many varieties of them as you have of the chiles! Did you put any kind of liquid in the jars with the dried 'maters?

In the end, I only got 4 pods from the Urfa Biber, but I'm letting them get over-ripe so I can save as many viable seeds as possible. This one's too rare to let go.

meatfreak said:
Different taste and burn huh? Wouldn't expected that. What did you think of the taste and flavor? I thought it was very similar with the 7Pot Brain Strain Red I had last season. Half a pod for lunch, still got a long road to go before I will do something like that :lol:
The two are very similar. One tasting a bit better than the other. The one like yours did have a bit more taste like a brain than the other, it just didn't have as strong of that capsaicin taste as one to me. That and less floral from the one's i have tasted. More fruity than floral. Put up a little review in my glog.
I'm thinking the other pheno taste better, but future pods will tell.
Half a pod was serious. My tongue went numb eating that much of the pod, and not many have done that. My tolerance is higher than ever. Been eating a super with lunch almost everyday since first pulls. When eating smaller pieces, usually it doesn't seem as bad after the first couple pieces. Just keeps a level burn for me. So don't stop with one piece. :)

stickman said:
Love the 'mater pics Stefan... it looks like you have almost as many varieties of them as you have of the chiles! Did you put any kind of liquid in the jars with the dried 'maters?

In the end, I only got 4 pods from the Urfa Biber, but I'm letting them get over-ripe so I can save as many viable seeds as possible. This one's too rare to let go.
I had 27 mater varieties going this season, Rick. Next year will be a lot less and more of the same we liked this year  :) If you want some seeds of them, just let me know. Speaking of maters, I wanted to make a quick harvest today before we went on holiday and ended up with 26 pounds of tomatoes :lol: Although the season is getting to an end, there's still twice as much hanging on the plants. Gonna make tomato soup and sauce tomorrow. Will make some salsa when I get back. I did put sunflower oil into the jars with the dried maters, first I boiled the garlic until it got soft. Then let it cool of a bit, placed the garlic and capers on the bottom, filled with dried maters and filled with oil. My Urfa Biber's are having 3 different type of pods :(, 2 of them look more like bell peppers but 1 looks a lot like yours. They're still growing, think it has around 8 pods on the plant. Gonna need a nice after summer for those to ripen of.

IMAG3208.jpg

1 pound tomato, Aunt Gertie's Gold. Very tasty variety!
IMAG3209.jpg

GA Growhead said:
The two are very similar. One tasting a bit better than the other. The one like yours did have a bit more taste like a brain than the other, it just didn't have as strong of that capsaicin taste as one to me. That and less floral from the one's i have tasted. More fruity than floral. Put up a little review in my glog.
I'm thinking the other pheno taste better, but future pods will tell.
Half a pod was serious. My tongue went numb eating that much of the pod, and not many have done that. My tolerance is higher than ever. Been eating a super with lunch almost everyday since first pulls. When eating smaller pieces, usually it doesn't seem as bad after the first couple pieces. Just keeps a level burn for me. So don't stop with one piece. :)
Not a big fan of the floral types, I cut open the Bhut Jolokia Mustard it had a really strong floral smell, Didn't tasted it since I already had sampled 8 peppers before that one :lol: Didn't wanna upset my stomach to much ;)

For looks only it's already a keeper, but the taste is pretty good! Gonna grow this out next season, got more then enough spots. If you want I can send you some seeds of it by the end of the season. I actually didn't drink anything, sure it was hot but luckily not face melting.

Well your tolerance has to be better than mine for sure!

I just ate a 12mm square of a giant yellow brain Annie sent me, tasted great and bam! The burn hit, that pepper was hot! I put an ice cube in my mouth..LOL The Reapers didn't do that to me. Wife said "the color in your face is getting back to normal". It did the hot pizza thing to my tongue! And you sampled 8 in one day?

Maters look great! Glad to see the huge numbers!

Holler when you're ready with seeds, hopefully I'll have something you desire as well..

Have a great weekend!

Great glog you got here, namesake!

I love the tomato shots. I know it is a pepper forum, but I really do enjoy seeing shots of other things that people grow. And without tomatoes you don't end up with a very good pepper salsa :)

Devv said:
Well your tolerance has to be better than mine for sure!

I just ate a 12mm square of a giant yellow brain Annie sent me, tasted great and bam! The burn hit, that pepper was hot! I put an ice cube in my mouth..LOL The Reapers didn't do that to me. Wife said "the color in your face is getting back to normal". It did the hot pizza thing to my tongue! And you sampled 8 in one day?

Maters look great! Glad to see the huge numbers!

Holler when you're ready with seeds, hopefully I'll have something you desire as well..

Have a great weekend!
Not at all, these previous peppers were just some mild and hot ones like the Maldivian Orange that really surprised me with it's outstanding flavor. Before that I tasted the Chinese 5-Color, Hungarian Hot Wax, Fish, Gochu, Maldivian Orange x Pimenta de Neyde, Scotch Bonnet Foodarama and 7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow. I will let you know at the end of the season, hope to harvest some more ripe BBG7's before season ends. The seeds I have now don't look so great but maybe it's just a visual thing. Bit brown and not yellow.

Stefan_W said:
Great glog you got here, namesake!

I love the tomato shots. I know it is a pepper forum, but I really do enjoy seeing shots of other things that people grow. And without tomatoes you don't end up with a very good pepper salsa :)
Cheers, Stefan :) You got that right! Maters and peppers go hand in hand. Made a lot of fresh salsa but still have to make some to fill my jars for the winter period ;)

Stefan_W said:
Do you grow your own garlic too?
Yes, I did. Had 7 different varieties but to be honest I didn't taste that much different, they were all good :) I could notice a difference in size and a couple being more prolific. Anyway we have enough garlic to last the winter. At the moment I'm harvesting a lot of French beans (haricoverts), it's more then we can eat at once so we blanch them and freeze them in. At the moment I'm waiting for a big harvest of my Tomatillo's, because of the cold spring they are really late this year. Luckily they can withstand a bit of cold and bad weather.

After a short holiday I made a little harvest, about 5lbs of all kinds of varieties. Mostly ripe Jalapeño's :)

IMAG1680-1.jpg

IMAG1681-1.jpg

IMAG1682-1.jpg

IMAG1683.jpg

IMAG1684.jpg

IMAG1685.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Mustard, Brito's Mystery Peach, CGN22181, Chilhuacle Amarillo, Chilhuacle Negro, Chilhuacle Rojo, Chimayo, Chinese 5 Color, Devil Serrano, El Oro de Ecuador, Fish Pepper, Gochu, Guajillo, Jalapeño Coyame, Jalapeño Dark Red, Jalapeño Dulce, Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato, Jalapeño Fooled You, Jalapeño Gigantia, Jalapeño Goliath, Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R, Jalapeño PS 11435810, Jalapeño Senorita, Jalapeño Zapotec, Jalapeñona Red, Puya, Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican, Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1, Sweet Chocolate, Sweet Pickle.

Also picked the biggest tomato from this season, Grub's Mystery Green, 1.9lbs. It tasted really good :D

IMAG1677-1.jpg

WalkGood said:
Whoa beautiful harvest with wonderful colors, now what you going to cook, hehe

Hope you and the family have an awesome weekend :)
Cheers, Ramon. Don't have time to cook, tomorrow I gotta pick maters again :lol: You have a great weekend also!

wahlee76 said:
Great looking harvest you have there. You won't be hungry anytime soon :P
Thanks, Wally. You got that right ;) more then enough food to last the winter again ;)

GA Growhead said:
That tomato is huge!
Thanks for dropping by, Jason.

Devv said:
Really nice harvest!

and yes that's one hue mater!

Have a great weekend!
You have a great weekend as well, Scott.

I feel a bit guilty for not always replying in your guys glogs, at the moment time is short over here due to multiple reasons. The garden and all the harvests are more time consuming then last year. I do read them though!
Also got this to process. The eggplant was already eaten at dinner last night :)

IMAG1686.jpg

Wow. Great harvests Meatfreak. Do you have a big garden to work with? You have many different Jalapeno varieties. Do you have a favorite? I need to add a Jalapeno variety to my growlist for next year.

Back