• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Portuge said:
Heres your bump Meatfreak
Awesome harvest by the way... Im giving the hurrikan i got from you another go around and its looking good this time around...
Thanks! Happy to hear, it's a very prolific and tasty variety. I'm sure you will love it :)

Another round of 10 pictures, gonna need about 4 more bumps I'm afraid.

CGN16905
IMAG3331.jpg

CGN22181 (Yellow Bouquet)
IMAG3356.jpg

Chilhuacle Amarillo
IMAG3293.jpg

Chilhuacle Negro
IMAG1725.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo
IMAG3342.jpg

Chimayo
IMAG3362.jpg

Devil Serrano
IMAG3317DEVILSERRANO.jpg

El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244)
IMAG3355.jpg

Elephant's Ear
IMAG3300.jpg

Habanero White Giant
IMAG3332.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Great looking pods, nice corking on the Serrano and the second batch of Jals :)
Thanks, for the kind words, Chris :) There's more Jals coming :D

Jalapeño Goliath
IMAG3348JGOLIATH.jpg

Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R
IMAG3346JIXTAPAX3R.jpg

Jalapeño Master
IMAG3310JMaster.jpg

Jalapeño PS 11435810
IMAG3361JPS.jpg

Jalapeño Senorita
IMAG3347JSENORITA.jpg

Piment d'Espelette
IMAG3365.jpg

Not Coyote Zan White, Chupetinha Yellow?
IMAG3330.jpg

Puya
IMAG3337.jpg

Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain"
IMAG3357.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Belize
IMAG3333.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
You are the Jal man and I am the Thai man...too funny!
Yeah I love me some Jal's although this year I've clearly overdone it :lol:

The last pictures, I'm all out ;)

Scotch Bonnet Foodarama
IMAG3360SBFOODARAMA.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain"
IMAG3358.jpg

Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican
IMAG3364SBTJ.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1
IMAG3359.jpg

Sweet Chocolate
IMAG3354.jpg

Sweet Pickle
IMAG3344SWEETPICKLE.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Cardi Yellow
IMAG3369.jpg

Waialua
IMAG3367WALAUA.jpg

There's still a lot more hanging on the plants and forecasts are looking promising, however the temperature is dropping at night. Let's hope I can have another 2 of these harvests :)

Awesome harvest.  I cringe at the thought of processing all those, though.  What are you going to do with them all?

I love the color of the Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain".

Really nice pics Stefan! Have you tried all those varieties of Jalapenos? If so, can you share what you like about each? There's a lot of different varieties out there, and you're the only person I know of who has so many together in one place to compare them. Cheers!

Thanks for all the kind comments, guys!

ronniedeb said:
Wow. Really nice harvest photos Meatfreak. Some really interesting varieties there. What is the flavour of the El Oro de Ecuador like. I have some seed for next year.
It's really sweet, smokey and hardly any heat. It kinda reminds me of the Aji Habanero but just a different shape. Out of the 3 Baccatums I have this season this is the least prolific one I have to say. The plant is huge but somehow it doesn't set as much pods as the other 2.

Sawyer said:
Awesome harvest.  I cringe at the thought of processing all those, though.  What are you going to do with them all?

I love the color of the Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain".
I cringe with you :lol: It's gonna be some work yeah. I'm gonna first process the thin walled, mostly hots and superhots first. Since those get soft faster then the Jalapeno's for example. I'm gonna try making a puree of the Scotch Bonnets/7P BS Yellow so I can use it when I'm cooking or for my Jerk marinade. Our freezer is full so I can't freeze them anymore. The rest I dry. Then later I dry most of the Annuum and the Jalapeno's/Devil Serrano I'm gonna smoke and dry.

GA Growhead said:
+1000 those look amazing cool!
Like Bahamian goats but different.
Same taste?
Thanks, Jason. I did taste it earlier in season but that was a small pod. I know the taste can be different later in season so I will have to get back to you on that :)

Portuge said:

Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1
Was this cross consistent on making pods looking like these?

These were the first pods formed and somehow it now makes the same pods but without the stingers :( Haven't tasted it yet but it's definitely worth growing this one out imo! 

stickman said:
Really nice pics Stefan! Have you tried all those varieties of Jalapenos? If so, can you share what you like about each? There's a lot of different varieties out there, and you're the only person I know of who has so many together in one place to compare them. Cheers!
I haven't, Rick. I kinda made a mistake earlier in season to pull a lot of the Jalapeno's for pickling. Because of that I had to wait longer for ripe pods that I want for smoking and seeds. So I will do an taste test once the season ends and I harvest all the green pods. There were 3 varieties that I did test because they don't have any heat. The Dulce, Fooled You and Senorita. The Dulce had a really strong typical Jalapeno flavor (big favorite), Fooled You was a let down (maybe still to unripe) and Senorita was pretty mild in flavor. It also has heat when ripe I experienced last harvest when I seeded them with my bare hands. I can stand the heat but I also have to change diapers and don't wanna hurt my little girl of course so kinda was pissed off about that  :rolleyes:

meatfreak said:

It's really sweet, smokey and hardly any heat. It kinda reminds me of the Aji Habanero but just a different shape. Out of the 3 Baccatums I have this season this is the least prolific one I have to say. The plant is huge but somehow it doesn't set as much pods as the other 2.

Thanks Meatfreak. If you are interested in any of those tomatoes I mentioned in the PM I sent you a while back let me know, I'll send them onto you.

Looking at all your's Jalapeno, you do have damn many variety.
Recommend me a Jalapeno for my lady, must not be to hot and if it is prolific it would be just perfect :)

Back