• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

Jamison said:
Oh buddy! Looking fanfrickintastic! Glad I caught this early enough. Growing all those wonderful Jalapenos this year?
I do, Jamison. Although the selection of Jalapeno's is a bit less extend as last season, I'm growing 8 "different" varieties this year which I haven't grown before :) They all germinated this week, together with almost every variety I've sowed the second round.

Thanks guys, some more pictures of the plants. Germination rate of the second round has been excellent again with 96% very pleased. The ones that didn't germ were seeds I've tried the first round so technically they don't really count :P

IMAG3856.jpg

Georgia Black, really love this variety. First to germ after 3 days and it doesn't look like it's gonna stop this vigorous growth :D
IMAG3857.jpg

Green Hornet F-2 (romy6)
IMAG3862.jpg

Pimenta Lisa F-2, a bit lighter in color then last season but the stem and nerves of the leaves are purple.
IMAG3863.jpg

And had an albino pepper the second round, won't make it till next week I'm afraid :P
IMAG3855.jpg

LOL...albino pepper.....never seen that before!
Absolutely loving your Jalapeno "obsession"... but there's a reason it's the worst most known and eaten pepper!
I wish i had more different Jalapeno varieties, as i'm a sucker for Poppers and Turds.

Best of luck with your grow, you're off to a great start!

capsidadburn said:
Wow Stefan!, Good looking plants.  Glad to hear more good germination!  The albino is interesting.  Those Georgia Blacks are amazing!

Very Cool!

Mike
Your bonnets are doing really well :) Got 3 plants going.

Bricklayer said:
LOL...albino pepper.....never seen that before!
Absolutely loving your Jalapeno "obsession"... but there's a reason it's the worst most known and eaten pepper!
I wish i had more different Jalapeno varieties, as i'm a sucker for Poppers and Turds.

Best of luck with your grow, you're off to a great start!
I've had it a couple of times before and it does not end well for the plant ;) Not so many Jalapeno varieties this season, only 8 :lol: as to 25 last season ;)

maximumcapsicum said:
Great glog Stefan! Glad I stopped in. Those GA blacks are really exploding... Gonna cramp up your space!

Happy growing!!!
Thanks for dropping by! Once they get to big I will move them out of the tent, thinking of transplanting them to a bigger pot as they are not gonna stay happy till the plant out.

Devv said:
Plants are cooking!

Good job Stefan!

When do they hit dirt?
romy6 said:
 Looking good Stefan. When is your plant out time ? 
Hey guys, plant out is estimated around half of April if the temperatures keep going up like they do at the moment. We've been having a lot of sun during the day and some more colder nights, hardly any real frost. So if nature let's me I plant them out during that time. Still got a lot of work to do at the garden and the poly tunnels. Have been preparing the smaller one for tomatoes, cukes and eggplants today.

GA Growhead said:
The Ga blacks are beautiful!
Thanks again for the seeds, Jason!

Sm1nts2escape said:

Next year I am going to start my seedlings in these trays. How do you like them vs the fabric wrapped jiffy style starters? Plants look good man.
I prefer the seed trays over the jiffy style starters. In my experience they root harder because of the wrap that's surround it. I just let the ground dry out a bit first before I transplant them and then I can just pop them out of the tray. The advantage for me is that the roots have enough space to develop really good.

I've been using the Jiffy plugs, and cut off the material as soon as the seedling sprouts. I have a concern using them, the high density peat has caused problems in a few plants. It just says too wet.

Devv said:
I've been using the Jiffy plugs, and cut off the material as soon as the seedling sprouts. I have a concern using them, the high density peat has caused problems in a few plants. It just says too wet.
Also that and I don't feel like cutting 200 plugs when I transplant. That's why I started using the seedtray's :) Second round is going well and true leaves are being formed, I need to start transplanting them but I also got the tomatoes that need to go first :)

Devv said:
What medium do you use to start the seeds?
I wanted to try something else this year so I used Plagron Light mix and I add some vermiculite to it to make it even lighter. It was more expensive but I wanted to be sure the medium wouldn't give me any bugs or pests already from the start. The medium for the transplant has Bat Guano added.
Temps are very unusual high over here, not that I'm complaining. If this stays this way it means I get to plant out a lot earlier as planned :D Yesterday it was 68F during the day! Few pics from the gang.

IMAG3873.jpg

These need to be transplanted very soon, bit behind at the moment.
IMAG3874.jpg

GA Black enjoying their first sun.
IMAG3875.jpg

And the silly Annuum is already forming buds.
IMAG3872.jpg

Back