• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

capsidadburn said:

Devv said:
I'll second that!

Great haul!

ronniedeb said:
Fantastic Jalapeno haul!

PIC 1 said:
Those Jalapeno's are a beautiful sight...........made my eyes turn red.

Thanks all! My eyes are red also now, Greg from de-seeding them ;) Got about a third done tonight, but more then enough seeds of each variety. Won't be needing more red Jal's for seeds anyway. Have a great weekend all!

feeltheburrrn said:
Nice Jalapeno haul! What is your favorite Jalapeno variety so far?
Thanks! I tried the Tormenta tonight and I was surprised by the fact it had the same taste unripe as ripe. Normally the ripe Jalapeno's are mostly just sweet but this variety also had the spicy flavor the green ones have. So for this season the Tormenta will be my favorite, second the Agriset 4108.

Last month when the pods of one of my 7 Pot Lava Yellow plants started to ripe of, I noticed they weren't turning yellow but stayed "green". Same happend with a plant from the guy I got the seeds from. Cross or color variation? Either way it's just as hot as it's Yellow brother ;)
IMAG5405_.jpg

Devv said:
Been seeing more of the green-bronze pods this season, as long as they taste good!
Yeah, a lot of green varieties/crosses are showing up this season. Year of the green ones I guess :) I couldn't taste a lot because of the scorching heat, only ate a small slice but that was enough for me. Will make an powder out of all my green pods for those that are interested. Dropped by the garden, decided to pick some Reapers. Not very impressed by their size and shape. Most of them are rather small and shape is inconsistent. Also took an awful long time for the plant to set pods and to ripe of.

IMAG5420_.jpg

IMAG5423_.jpg

I have a couple of Reapers still going, like last season I won't see any amount of pods until fall flowers come in.

Have you tasted one yet? Hot as all get out, but a nice flavor ;)

Devv said:
I have a couple of Reapers still going, like last season I won't see any amount of pods until fall flowers come in.

Have you tasted one yet? Hot as all get out, but a nice flavor ;)
No I haven't will do later this week. Haven't been feeling so great so didn't fell like de seeding pods ;) I will try a piece for sure! Yesterday when checking the garden I decided to pick of the first ripe 7 Pot Peach pods. Today I made pictures of it and had a closer look and smell. Not tasted yet, will do so later tonight. It doesn't appear to have any 7 pot traits, your typical Chinense smell, sweet. Shape reminds me of an Habanero White Giant but Peach. The interior looks a bit like an Bahamian Goat and it does have some nice puddles of oil ;) Unfortunately not a lot of seeds.

IMAG5443_.jpg

IMAG5444_.jpg

IMAG5450_.jpg

IMAG5445_.jpg

Certainly has the B-Goat coloration.

I had a 7 pot white sent to me, it too was more Hab than 7 pot. In fact I put quite a bit on an omelet, had it 7 pot heat I was have regretted it ;) 

However, it did taste really nice! And that's what counts.

Devv said:
Certainly has the B-Goat coloration.

I had a 7 pot white sent to me, it too was more Hab than 7 pot. In fact I put quite a bit on an omelet, had it 7 pot heat I was have regretted it ;)

However, it did taste really nice! And that's what counts.

Indeed, those HGW are tasty for sure. I tasted this one and got another good smell at the other pods. I was wrong about the smell, it did had the 7 pot smell just not as strong as some when you cut open the pods. Also got the flu so that doesn't help either, taste was a bit bitter couldn't taste a lot but then again the Jalapeno I taste before this didn't had much flavor either. Must be me. The heat however, it was hotter then I expected. The little piece gave me a good burn. The walls are quite thick and chewy which reminds me of the HGW. Overall not bad but I need to taste it again when I feel better, luckily more pods were ripening of. Oh yeah the seeds are really small.

The flu is no fun, I got the bad one 2 years ago, I think the swine flu? H1n1 I dunno. But I had gotten the flu shot and it was short lived. Just one real bad day.

I hope you feel better soon!

+1 on feeling better soon... flu is no fun. :(

Jalapeno "Tormenta" is grown by a local farm, and I agree... it's one spicy pepper! I tried one first in 2012 when we had a very hot, dry summer, and the ripe pods all had a lot of corking then, so you're probably right about this year's lack of corking being due to weather conditions. I don't know if I mentioned it, but the blue ribbon I won at the county fair for Jalapenos was for your "Ciclon" variety. I've found a source of both in this seed company in the U.S.   http://www.seedway.com/vegetable_seed/Pages/Vegetable-Seed-Online-Catalog.aspx

Thanks for posting the article on the (non)effect of Ethylene gas on ripening peppers... I've always thought so, but it's nice to see it scientifically confirmed.

Cheers!

Devv said:
The flu is no fun, I got the bad one 2 years ago, I think the swine flu? H1n1 I dunno. But I had gotten the flu shot and it was short lived. Just one real bad day.

I hope you feel better soon!

stickman said:

Jalapeno "Tormenta" is grown by a local farm, and I agree... it's one spicy pepper! I tried one first in 2012 when we had a very hot, dry summer, and the ripe pods all had a lot of corking then, so you're probably right about this year's lack of corking being due to weather conditions. I don't know if I mentioned it, but the blue ribbon I won at the county fair for Jalapenos was for your "Ciclon" variety. I've found a source of both in this seed company in the U.S.   http://www.seedway.com/vegetable_seed/Pages/Vegetable-Seed-Online-Catalog.aspx

Thanks for posting the article on the (non)effect of Ethylene gas on ripening peppers... I've always thought so, but it's nice to see it scientifically confirmed.

Cheers!
Thanks guys, feel a bit better but pretty drained in energy now.
Yeah, Rick. Really liked the Tormenta, it was the first Jalapeno for me that is also spicy when ripe. Normally they loose it when they get red. Yeah the corking must be due to the cold August we've had, one of the coldest in a hundred years. It had it's effect on the seeds to I noticed, perhaps even the size of the pods. The only one putting out big ones was the Felicity, all others were about 3-4inch max while they should have been bigger. Did not know it was the Ciclon that won the blue ribbon, awesome! Not surprised as it's an great variety, recommended it to a lot of people :D If you need seeds just let me know, got more then enough.

romy6 said:
Great stuff Stefan . Your Glog is kicking ass and taking names !
To kind, James. Thanks :)

Have an great weekend all!
stickman said:

Cheers!

I know the site, found it a while back when I was looking for different Jalapeno varieties. They still have some I don't have yet but they sell only bulk I think :(

True... the smallest amount they sell is 250 seeds in a packet for between $20-$25 U.S. plus shipping and handling. If you're interested in splitting the cost and the seeds, I'd be happy to order them.

stickman said:
True... the smallest amount they sell is 250 seeds in a packet for between $20-$25 U.S. plus shipping and handling. If you're interested in splitting the cost and the seeds, I'd be happy to order them.
Thanks, maybe if I can't find them anywhere else I might be interested in this :) Not sure if it's wise since I already got enough to grow out hehe

Processed the Jalapeno's, time for the next harvest, this one is 4,94kg (10lb) in total.

IMAG5460_.jpg

IMAG5464_.jpg

IMAG5463_.jpg

IMAG5469_.jpg

IMAG5472_.jpg

IMAG5474_.jpg

IMAG5480_.jpg

IMAG5484_.jpg

IMAG5492_.jpg

IMAG5494_.jpg

Back