• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Glad I came across your notes on the Vigoro mix, that was one of my possible options for this season. Gonna opt for either a straight up jiffy organic they have at ACE or go with Black Gold or Fox Farm for seed starting (the latter seems a bit too pricey). I mixed my own soil last year, mostly out of pine bark fines... wondering if a pre mix will give better results since most my plants will be in the ground.
I know I definitely won't be using it again, didn't dry out at all even without watering, and when putting it into the pots I was pulling 6 inch long and 1 1/2 inch round sticks out all the time. It's possible I got a dud batch though. 
I thought about mixing my own soil for this grow as well, just don't have the space available to do it at the moment. Hopefully next year. That said I'm pleased with the Fox Farms so far, just wish it was cheaper online or available locally lol.

Not much to add this time. Plants are all still growing well, the plants in the FFHF are putting on new growth really well. Chinese 5 colour has more flowers open and have at least half the Chinense showing small buds as well. Went to Lowes and our local nursery this morning to pick up some flowers to plant for my wife, and while at the nursery saw they had some pepper plants in their greenhouse. Couldn't pass it up so brought 1 home.
Labelled as Black Pearl-
20131222_133700_resized.jpg

Couldn't help myself so popped a pepper when I got home. Not a lot of heat, and not the greatest flavour (not terrible, just not a lot of flavour), but bought it mainly for the looks anyway. Pods could be good either dried or smoked for use as powders for seasonings and rubs.

Jamison said:
Looks like a Black Pearl to me! They are some beauties!
Awesome! Thinking this one and the Chinese 5 colour will go in among my wife's flowers when it warms up. Beautiful plants. 
Got an update for you for the MoA's as well. Have 1 sprouted for sure-
20131222_162111_LLS_resized.jpg

And was just checking my tray and it looks like I have another hook coming up as well. Will double check after work tomorrow, but looks like I'm 2/3 at the moment. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Awesome! Thinking this one and the Chinese 5 colour will go in among my wife's flowers when it warms up. Beautiful plants. 
Got an update for you for the MoA's as well. Have 1 sprouted for sure-
attachicon.gif
20131222_162111_LLS_resized.jpg
And was just checking my tray and it looks like I have another hook coming up as well. Will double check after work tomorrow, but looks like I'm 2/3 at the moment. 

Looks great man!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Glad to see you're up and running with new babies....looking good.

Devv said:
Chris,

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Scott

Husker21 said:
Nice job Meat!
Thanks guys! Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!
Definitely have a 2nd MoA hook. Also noticed another hook appeared today in another pellet, but can't remember what I planted in that one. Think it might be an SBJ7, but not 100%. All I remember is throwing a seed in there because it was empty lol. 

Hey, MH!  Your grow is well under way, bud!

The Jiffy pellets can be problematic, but with Jason's help, I have
been successful with them to this point.  When using seedling mix,
I like the Black Gold, and have had good success with it as long as
I don't pack it too tight in the cell packs.  For transplanting into party
cups and later half gallons or gallons, I use a mix of  Ocean Forest
and Happy Frog  (a tip I picked up from Spankycolts in the 2012 season.)
I mix them 4:3 since the Happy Frog bag is bigger than the Ocean Forest.  
When transplanting into big containers, I use my own mix of equal parts
peat or coco, horticultural pumice, and compost/steer manure/soil mix of
some kind. 

Good luck going forward, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family, Chris!

PaulG said:
Hey, MH!  Your grow is well under way, bud!

The Jiffy pellets can be problematic, but with Jason's help, I have
been successful with them to this point.  When using seedling mix,
I like the Black Gold, and have had good success with it as long as
I don't pack it too tight in the cell packs.  For transplanting into party
cups and later half gallons or gallons, I use a mix of  Ocean Forest
and Happy Frog  (a tip I picked up from Spankycolts in the 2012 season.)
I mix them 4:3 since the Happy Frog bag is bigger than the Ocean Forest.  
When transplanting into big containers, I use my own mix of equal parts
peat or coco, horticultural pumice, and compost/steer manure/soil mix of
some kind. 

Good luck going forward, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family, Chris!
Thanks for the info! What's the reason for mixing the Ocean Forest and Happy Frog? Is it for the mykos, or is there something else as well? I just finished the last bag of Happy Frog I had, and have some OF coming in on Thursday. Might have to order another bag of HF as well. Would love to make my own mix, just don't have the room at the moment. Hopefully in a few months we'll be living somewhere else with more room though. Appreciate it and Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

Back