• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

PaulG said:
Say, those greenhouse units are very nice!  
The plants look like they are lovin' it in them.  
And congrats on the new camera!  What kind
is it?  Pics look great, nice and sharp!
Thanks Paul! Yeah I'm loving the greenhouses! For pretty cheap little units they're certainly doing the job well! Pretty sure my wife prefers it having the plants outside rather than inside too. Should make it easier when it warms up to harden them up as well as they'll be used to the sunlight, so it'll just be the wind they'll have to get used to and I can help that by opening the vents more often. One advantage to living in the south is relatively mild winters most years. 
Just got a little point and shoot digital camera. It's a Fujifilm finepix t500. Still trying to learn the settings on it but it's already better than my cell phone camera. 

PaulG said:
That's awesome, Chris.
Have fun, buddy!
Will do! You too.

gfinnil said:
Impressive brother...every time I read these Glogs I am reminded how much I hate Illinois. :mope: ..take care.
Jerry
Haha. If it's any consolation summer down here is horrible. Will be interesting to see if I get slowed production again this season in the middle of summer. 

I'm with Chris - summer down south can be brutal.  
Not to mention the insect pests and other nasties
that love the warm humid weather!  We freeze our
'nads in the cold winter up north, but the summers
are almost idyllic!  When it's not raining   :rofl:

Even here, the flowering and podding slows in the
summer when the temps hit the 90's.  Plus, some
varieties just like the cooler temps.

After saying 2 days ago I was still waiting for the red bhuts to sprout, I now have 2 hooks showing :rofl: . Took advantage of only having to work a half day today to move the jiffy pellets that had hooks and sprouts into some solo cups with miracle gro seed starting mix (pellets were left intact so as to not risk damaging the roots). 
SBJ7-
DSCF0061.JPG

MoA Jamaican Scotch bonnet-
DSCF0062.JPG

Aji amarillo-
DSCF0063.JPG

Red bhut jolokia-
DSCF0064.JPG

MeatHead1313 said:
They definitely saved me a lot of money compared to converting my spare bedroom into a grow room like I'd originally planned. Not sure how many winter's they'll last, but the bigger one only cost me $55 so can't complain if it's only a year or two.
I had the same thought with my Chinenses as well. Even if I don't get any pods during winter, they'll be well and truly ready come spring. 

Had a play with the new camera this afternoon so got some new pics of the plants
Black Hungarian growing well again in Happy Frog
DSCF0013.JPG
Chinenses
DSCF0011.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG
DSCF0019.JPG
DSCF0020.JPG
DSCF0021.JPG
DSCF0022.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG

Chinese 5 colour
DSCF0027.JPG

Lemon drop
DSCF0029.JPG

Wife's strawberries, cilantro, lettuce, spinach and aloe vera
DSCF0031.JPG
Nice setup. Out of curiosity, what kind of spinach are you growing there? How long are you going to let in grow before pinching a couple of leaves for lunch?

Capsicums are looking great as well! Great job.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice setup. Out of curiosity, what kind of spinach are you growing there? How long are you going to let in grow before pinching a couple of leaves for lunch?

Capsicums are looking great as well! Great job.
Thanks maxcap! Not sure what kind of spinach it is to be honest. My wife chose the seeds from Lowes so all I know is it's from Burpee, and I threw the pack away after storing the seeds. My wife's the spinach eater (I can't stand the taste of it) so that'll be up to her. We did try some of the lettuce a couple of days ago, and I can easily say it blows store bought stuff away! Will be planting more seeds when I get room on the germination tray. 

Looking good!  Glad to see your plants coming along.  That greenhouse setup of yours is great for your winter.  The winter in Fargo was so harsh that you would have needed an insulated shed with a few heaters, I think!  The plants are looking great, and look forward to seeing them grow to full poddage.  When is plant out day where you are, MH?  Will any end up in the ground, or you leave them in the pots, bags, etc.?  That is a great idea to use the reusable shopping bags for pots.

Jamison said:
Lots of little babies! Congrats on the newcomers!

Pinoy83 said:
nice tons of babies :dance:

Thanks guys!
ivplay said:
Looking good!  Glad to see your plants coming along.  That greenhouse setup of yours is great for your winter.  The winter in Fargo was so harsh that you would have needed an insulated shed with a few heaters, I think!  The plants are looking great, and look forward to seeing them grow to full poddage.  When is plant out day where you are, MH?  Will any end up in the ground, or you leave them in the pots, bags, etc.?  That is a great idea to use the reusable shopping bags for pots.
Last frost is usually at the end of February/start of March, so hopefully plant out will be close to the start of March. Every year I've been here it's been different though. Last year we had an unusually cold spring, and other years it's warmed up a lot quicker. Going to leave them all in pots this year. The soil in the little raised bed between us and the duplex next to us isn't very good, and it's not worth me amending it as we're looking to move somewhere with more room soon. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Looking good man.  How do you like the solo cup way of doing it?  Is it better than the 3 1/2 inch square pots?
I haven't tried the 3 1/2 inch square pots yet. My first seeds started were in a Burpee seed starting kit then into solo cups, and the newer one's were in jiffy pellets then into the cups as well, other than the Nardello and starfish that went straight to 6 inch pots. 
Devv said:
Good to see those new youngin's!

I'm doing the same thing, popping them into solo's as soon as they stand up. I like the solo cups because they are deep, and cheap!

Have a great New Years!
Thanks Devv! Hope you have a great New Year's as well and hope you have a great season!

Yeah, really glad that THP has pointed me toward the Solo cup method. They are nice and deep. A couple holes punched in the bottom should get me where I need to go. Hopefully I'll be able to plant out after the Solo cup phase... not sure how much room I'll have for 6" pots.

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah, really glad that THP has pointed me toward the Solo cup method. They are nice and deep. A couple holes punched in the bottom should get me where I need to go. Hopefully I'll be able to plant out after the Solo cup phase... not sure how much room I'll have for 6" pots.
I'm the same. If I hadn't found THP I'm sure I would've screwed up more than I already have and probably would've killed everything I tried to grow from seed lol. From my (very) limited experience, it didn't take long for my seedlings to outgrow the 6 inch pots after transplanting from solo cups. However, this was in September/October so the temps and sunlight were very suitable for quick growth. The sprouts and seedlings I have now have been growing much slower, which is probably due to lower temps (the greenhouses tend to stay between 70-80 unless I forget to open the vents on warmer days) and lower light levels. 

MeatHead1313 said:
I'm the same. If I hadn't found THP I'm sure I would've screwed up more than I already have and probably would've killed everything I tried to grow from seed lol. From my (very) limited experience, it didn't take long for my seedlings to outgrow the 6 inch pots after transplanting from solo cups. However, this was in September/October so the temps and sunlight were very suitable for quick growth. The sprouts and seedlings I have now have been growing much slower, which is probably due to lower temps (the greenhouses tend to stay between 70-80 unless I forget to open the vents on warmer days) and lower light levels. 

Good to hear. I guess my plan is if I suspect things are getting too big for solo cups to prune, or possibly pick up an air pot or two, assuming I can get them locally. Not into paying too much for shipping. Got to make a pass through a couple of the local garden outfits... hopefully they're putting out their spring stock soon.

maximumcapsicum said:

Good to hear. I guess my plan is if I suspect things are getting too big for solo cups to prune, or possibly pick up an air pot or two, assuming I can get them locally. Not into paying too much for shipping. Got to make a pass through a couple of the local garden outfits... hopefully they're putting out their spring stock soon.
I haven't researched the air pots yet. Are they similar to the root pouches in that they air prune the roots? 

Back