• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

"I haven't researched the air pots yet. Are they similar to the root pouches in that they air prune the roots?" 

Yes, that is the idea.  Check out Colorado Ronin's glogs, he did a lot with them .

maximumcapsicum said:
The idea is the air pruning gives a defacto increase in root space right? So the plant can grow bigger in a smaller pot.
That seems to be the idea. Similar to the smart pots/root pouches/grow bags. Would love to try the air pots as well, but with the bags I'm using only costing a dollar each from the dollar store just down the road will probably stick with them for now. Maybe next year. 

Might lose 2 SB7J seedlings. Accidentally tore most of the coty's off one trying to remove a stuck seed casing, and have another that's starting to shrivel up, which I think is from being in straight Ocean Forest. Should be getting some Light Warrior mix tomorrow so hopefully it can hold on til then and I can get it out of the OF and into the LW. 

Thanks for the info! I've been told the eco-friendly shopping bags work well as grow bags. Will be interesting to see if I get similar results as a grow bag with the bags I'm using. If not, might have to try my hand at making some using the link you provided. Thanks Dew!

The madness continues. Planted some CGN21500, SAFI red hab, Jamaican yellow mushroom, yellow 7 pot, yellow scorpion and scotch bonnet TFM into some Miracle Gro seed starting mix last weekend. Swore that they would be the last seeds I plant.  :liar:    Couldn't help myself and just put some more seeds soaking in preparation for planting tomorrow. Have Not yellow brain strain and an unknown Mexican, bishop's crown, a couple more black Hungarian's and some more Jimmy Nardello's.

You mean jute bags right? Alot of countries that have banned plastic bags use jute bags. They don't cost more but are much more environmentally friendly. Never thought to use them as grow space. If only I had a yard...

Looks great MH! Would love to see some pics? I am itching to start soaking... still got another week before I get started.

Sending the good vibes your way!

maximumcapsicum said:
You mean jute bags right? Alot of countries that have banned plastic bags use jute bags. They don't cost more but are much more environmentally friendly. Never thought to use them as grow space. If only I had a yard...

Looks great MH! Would love to see some pics? I am itching to start soaking... still got another week before I get started.

Sending the good vibes your way!
I think so. Had no idea what a jute bag was so just had to google it lol. Rebelgrower3 had given me the tip on using the eco-friendly bags in another thread. We've got a Dollar General store just down the road from us and their bags are only a buck each. I've read the walmart one's are good too. Even if mine don't have the same effect as the proper grow bags, they're working great as a regular pot, so can't complain there. I think the one's I have work out to be about a 5 gallon size. 
Should be able to get some pics after I get back from the doctor's in the morning. Been feeling like crap the last few days so need to find out what I've got. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Hope you feel better soon bud.

Great info on the jute bags. I wonder if they air prune like a smart pot. 

Still got to fill those 5 gallon bags with media, hahaha!
Thanks MC. From what I've read they're supposed to air prune like the smart pots, but I'd guess some are better than others at doing that. Still have a while before I'll be able to tell if there's a difference between the plants in them and the one's in other pots, but so far they're doing really well. 
Yeah I didn't realise how much of a difference there was between the bags and the pots I used last season til it came time to fill them with mix. They definitely take a lot more to fill! Going to get a little expensive filling them with the Fox Farm when it comes time to move some more into them compared to the miracle gro the ones I have in them now are in. 

Got some pics of the bags I'm using for some of the plants at the moment. 
DSCF0095.JPG

DSCF0096.JPG

DSCF0097.JPG

DSCF0100.JPG

Not sure what happened to my Jimmy Nardello seedling, it was healthy last night then this morning it looked like this-
DSCF0099.JPG

Re-arranged some of the seedlings last night, and had this one closer to the heater than it was before. Is it possible it was too close and I cooked it?

So after telling myself I need to simplify things, instead of thinking I need to try, and wanting to try all sorts of different things for my grow instead of focusing on the basics, I ordered 2 2ft T5HO lights off Amazon today to try them out as an experiment for some seedlings. Going to try sprouting some seeds and growing them in the greenhouse outside, and some under the lights inside and see if there's a difference in growth rates. Have a small shelving unit to hang the lights and place the seeds/seedlings on, and have some mylar survival blankets to wrap around to help with light retention. 

GA Growhead said:
The high output T5 are amazing. You are going yo be happy with that purchase!
Thanks GA GH! The lights I got are only single bulb units (6400k bulbs), but only plan on growing a few solo cups under each one, and then transferring out to the greenhouse once they hit 6-8 inches in height. Just looking to see if steady temps and longer hours of light inside help the seedlings grow quicker than what they're getting outside. 1st year growing from seed so this is all new to me, and I've got a bad habit of wanting to try everything when I get into a new hobby lol. 

+1 Jason - I had no idea the difference the T5s would make.  
It's a whole 'nother ballgame!  I'l bet you can grow them past 
6-8" if you have some reflective surface on your grow box or
whatever you're using.

PaulG said:
+1 Jason - I had no idea the difference the T5s would make.  
It's a whole 'nother ballgame!  I'l bet you can grow them past 
6-8" if you have some reflective surface on your grow box or
whatever you're using.
I've got some of the mylar emergency blankets to put around it for light reflection. Just need to work out how to fasten them on

MeatHead1313 said:
I've got some of the mylar emergency blankets to put around it for light reflection. Just need to work out how to fasten them on
One season, I just draped a reflective backpacking ground cloth over
the lights and let it hang down.  It worked surprisingly well!

PaulG said:
One season, I just draped a reflective backpacking ground cloth over
the lights and let it hang down.  It worked surprisingly well!
I didn't even think of just draping them over. Haha. That should work as the shelving unit I have is only small. Lights will be in tomorrow so will get a photo after I get it set up. Thanks for the info Paul!

Hi Chris,

Nice plants, and setup! I'm interested to see how the Black Hungarian will perform for you this year. Heck...I am Hungarian, but I saw this pepper only on THP :PI was quickly scrolling your glog through, and saw your issues with the soil...it took me years to find the right components and ratio. And buying any soil is like gambling. There was a year when I lost all of my seedlings because damping off..the soil was infected.
I used to have issues with snails, but last year I was stripping my plants up, removed all the leaves touching the ground, all the low side-branches, and I did not even had any issue with bacterial infections
Nice work!

Balázs

Oh, the T5's are just like the sun, maybe better, I have a 4 bulb 4' 6400k unit. I actually pulled some of the lighter green plants out because the lights were turning the leaves a bronze color, and the greener ones...they look like they're over fertilized..when they have had none. I run them 13 hours a day.

Get ready!

Back