• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

I've just realised after looking at stc's glog and his goatsweed plant that all my goatsweeds are NOT what they are supposed to be. I didn't really think about it because all five plants I have look the same. They all grew tall and the pods hang. They stay green until ripening red despite being in sun all day.

Got the seeds from hippy seed co. Because all the plants are exactly the same I'm guessing its not an accidental cross, but is a mislabelling somewhere.

This is an old photo

Anyone have an idea what they look like? The plants themselves were slightly hariy.

Yes it was fresh, I use it when I have it. I'd think that a Queenslander would have a better opinion of pineapple, don't you have that big one up there? ;)

I also put beans in my chilli, eat meat pies with a knife and won't eat steak unless it's well done. ;)

I like pineapple. Pineapple is good as a fruit. But pineapple on pizza?? Why don't we just start putting grapes or peaches or apple on pizza???? :P

But don't worry, I believe there are thousands upon thousands of you pineapple pizza eating crazy people out there! :crazy:

Although I prefer it without, beans in chilli still works for me. Well done steak is better than rare (but please, try to make it medium for me!). Eating pies with a knife, whatever works for you, but please don't be offended if I just get stuck right into mine! ;)

Mega...you mentioned your goat's weed being a bit different. There are several closely related varieties that look similar and are sold by different vendors under the wrong name. Goat's Weed, Chile De Arbol, Chile Negro De Arbol and Black Cobra to name a couple...I would be willing to bet yours are Chile De Arbol...
Chile-de-Arbol-15.jpg

Pic from here: http://www.ethno-botanik.org/Capsicum/Chile-de-Arbol/Chile-de-Arbol-Capsicum-annuum-en.html

Look right??? If so, they go green to red with no blackening from the sun...another great pepper. You can buy dried pods here in bulk. Make awesome powder, not quiet as hot as a Goat's Weed, but plenty hot!!!

I bet it was one on this page: http://home.comcen.c...morechillis.htm

Maybe Filomena? They look similar to the picture.
It could be.

I know it wasn't Pusa Jwala because I picked some at the same time and you could tell the difference with the pods side by side.

It is also possible that I mixed up the seeds when sowing them, I will have to go back and look at my records to see if anything fits the profile.

I like pineapple. Pineapple is good as a fruit. But pineapple on pizza?? Why don't we just start putting grapes or peaches or apple on pizza???? :P

But don't worry, I believe there are thousands upon thousands of you pineapple pizza eating crazy people out there! :crazy:

Although I prefer it without, beans in chilli still works for me. Well done steak is better than rare (but please, try to make it medium for me!). Eating pies with a knife, whatever works for you, but please don't be offended if I just get stuck right into mine! ;)
peach on a pizza.... that sounds like a challenge! ;)

Mega...you mentioned your goat's weed being a bit different. There are several closely related varieties that look similar and are sold by different vendors under the wrong name. Goat's Weed, Chile De Arbol, Chile Negro De Arbol and Black Cobra to name a couple...I would be willing to bet yours are Chile De Arbol...
Chile-de-Arbol-15.jpg

Pic from here: http://www.ethno-bot...-annuum-en.html

Look right??? If so, they go green to red with no blackening from the sun...another great pepper. You can buy dried pods here in bulk. Make awesome powder, not quiet as hot as a Goat's Weed, but plenty hot!!!
It definitely looks close but those pods are slightly shorter and not as curved. It's hard not to sound pedantic when talking about chilli ID but there are so many varieties that are very close in shape to these, there isn't much to tell them apart.
I mainly thought it was a mix up because they have the picture of the black upright chillies on this page they were ordered from.
http://home.comcen.com.au/seedco/otherchillis.htm

I used to think Aussies were good people, but now I read that you both like steak well done? What the hell. That's a crime against good meat.
Not just that, I pour a bucket of sauce on it too.

Moo, there are different types of Goat's Weed, or as smokemaster calls them, the "grey fuzzies", each with slight differences (some pods grow upright, some are pendant, etc, and other small differences). However, I got mine from THSC but the pods grow upright and while for the most part the pods do remain green, they do suntan on the sides that face the sun. You mention the plant is hairy... would you call the hair on the stems all grey and fuzzy? Like, is it a lot of hair?

And not saying such is the case but I would not rule out accidental cross if your plants are showing a lot of fuzziness. F1 plants look and behave very similar, if not the same, to each other. F2 generation is where you will see variation.

I used to think Aussies were good people, but now I read that you both like steak well done? What the hell. That's a crime against good meat.

Didn't exactly say I like my steak well done, but I'll take it over rare any day. Medium is where it's at for me. ;) And if that's not good enough? Well... I don't care what no bloody 'Merican thinks! :P

(Same as moo probably don't care what no bloody Brisburnian thinks about pineapple pizza! :lol:)

Not just that, I pour a bucket of sauce on it too.

This is where I stop standing up for you, moo. :lol:

I guess, what else are you to do with a well done steak, though? Just tell me it's hot sauce......

Moo, there are different types of Goat's Weed, or as smokemaster calls them, the "grey fuzzies", each with slight differences (some pods grow upright, some are pendant, etc, and other small differences). However, I got mine from THSC but the pods grow upright and while for the most part the pods do remain green, they do suntan on the sides that face the sun. You mention the plant is hairy... would you call the hair on the stems all grey and fuzzy? Like, is it a lot of hair?

And not saying such is the case but I would not rule out accidental cross if your plants are showing a lot of fuzziness. F1 plants look and behave very similar, if not the same, to each other. F2 generation is where you will see variation.

Didn't exactly say I like my steak well done, but I'll take it over rare any day. Medium is where it's at for me. ;) And if that's not good enough? Well... I don't care what no bloody 'Merican thinks! :P

(Same as moo probably don't care what no bloody Brisburnian thinks about pineapple pizza! :lol:)

This is where I stop standing up for you, moo. :lol:

I guess, what else are you to do with a well done steak, though? Just tell me it's hot sauce......
I would describe them as fuzzy. It's sparse gery/green fuzz, mostly on the top half of the plant as the long stem has gone woody at the bottom. Also they all are very tall and thin, with no interest in bushing out at all, they were like that from day one.

I don't have experience with crossing but if it was an f1 cross wouldn't there be some variation in the offspring?

I'm not too concerned about it but when I first ordered the variety I wanted the little upright black ones

Don't want to get racist about this Gas. We all already knows that anyone who isn't from my town is a lesser subhuman.

I am genuinely upset that every time I order a cooked steak at a restaurant I get a slab of meat that's mooing and the chef thinks hes doing me a favour. Ok I don't want the grey rubber doorstop but if its still bleeding I send it back.

Peppercorn sauce all day. Didn't Shakespeare say that meat loves peppercorn sauce?

I would describe them as fuzzy. It's sparse gery/green fuzz, mostly on the top half of the plant as the long stem has gone woody at the bottom. Also they all are very tall and thin, with no interest in bushing out at all, they were like that from day one.

Sounds like the growth habit of my Goat's Weed. Got pics?? That might help!

I don't have experience with crossing but if it was an f1 cross wouldn't there be some variation in the offspring?

F1 offspring show only the dominant genes of both parents and therefore are very similar to each other. You don't see much variation between each F1 plant of the same parents... if any at all. F2 generation is where things get interesting and recessive genes come out to play and all that business. Unless, of course, one (or both) of the parents are hybrids themselves.... that is an entirely different story! What each of the F1 offspring will look like is anyone's guess.

Don't want to get racist about this Gas. We all already knows that anyone who isn't from my town is a lesser subhuman.

Poor moo. Delusion is such a horrible thing. :(

I am genuinely upset that every time I order a cooked steak at a restaurant I get a slab of meat that's mooing and the chef thinks hes doing me a favour. Ok I don't want the grey rubber doorstop but if its still bleeding I send it back.

Peppercorn sauce all day. Didn't Shakespeare say that meat loves peppercorn sauce?

I think it was Shakespeare. If not, who cares... they weren't off the mark.

Tell it, moo! The rare kids can keep their blood. Nothing worse than being presented with a blood-soaked slab of flesh. Makes me wonder why I didn't just save my money and go to a field somewhere and start ripping into a cow......

(not that I was even tempted to)

Just a thought...and the Arbols do usually get much longer. Bottom line is if they don't turn jet black in the sun they're not true. Gas may be on to something with the cross statement. The plant should be plenty damn fuzzy too.
8535495220_5c7b77cc6b_b.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack...but figured you might wanna see. As far as steaks go. If it ain't still cold and blood red in the middle, its over done! :rofl:

I would shoot Neil over at THSC a pic of the plant you got going and he'll probably send you some new seeds for next season. They are really cool looking when they're true with the slate green leaves, white fuzzy stems, jet black immature pods and fire red ripe ones all over them. Even the well shaded pods are jet black on my plants. I will save some seeds for you, but I know sending into Australia can be tricky...

Sounds like the growth habit of my Goat's Weed. Got pics?? That might help!

F1 offspring show only the dominant genes of both parents and therefore are very similar to each other. You don't see much variation between each F1 plant of the same parents... if any at all. F2 generation is where things get interesting and recessive genes come out to play and all that business. Unless, of course, one (or both) of the parents are hybrids themselves.... that is an entirely different story! What each of the F1 offspring will look like is anyone's guess.
Ok didn't know that about crossing.
Pics of my plants below.

Just a thought...and the Arbols do usually get much longer. Bottom line is if they don't turn jet black in the sun they're not true. Gas may be on to something with the cross statement. The plant should be plenty damn fuzzy too.
8535495220_5c7b77cc6b_b.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack...but figured you might wanna see. As far as steaks go. If it ain't still cold and blood red in the middle, its over done! :rofl:

I would shoot Neil over at THSC a pic of the plant you got going and he'll probably send you some new seeds for next season. They are really cool looking when they're true with the slate green leaves, white fuzzy stems, jet black immature pods and fire red ripe ones all over them. Even the well shaded pods are jet black on my plants. I will save some seeds for you, but I know sending into Australia can be tricky...
That plant is way more hairy than mine. Is that a Goatsweed or Arbol?

I will send him pics, and also my order for next season, I like that he's always getting new varieties in! I first chose Goatsweed for the black pods and because I'd heard people said they grow like crazy.

After reviewing my sowing records and all my varieties I think that it must either be a cross, or a mixup by hippy. I don't have anything that should look like it.

Here is one of the plants. The others don't have the lower branch and so look even more tall and spindly, but otherwise are the same.

Best pic I could get of the fuzzy stem.

Some other pics of the garden, most are loving the cooler weather for now and there are more pods than recent times!
Jonahs get the purple sunburn.

Yellow 7s

Things have really taken off behind the shed.

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate

A forgotten Fatalii

There are more but don't have time to take photos, got to get out and harvest before storms this week destroy everything!

Just picked all the colour, didn't have time for some of the annuums. Two thirds will need a few days on the bench under some bananas. There is still a ton of green pods on the plants.

Pretty good harvest considering it was only 2 days after the one. Almost all the green pods from this harvest have now fully ripened.

I thought the season would be over by now but its still going. Getting hard to keep up with it all. Some plants seem to do better in the cooler weather.

Glad to see your plants still producing for you, MM. That is quite the harvest...and more still to pick. Very nice. Can't be of any help with the Goat's Weed ID, but good luck with it. I have a couple of nons that I have no idea what they are, but they are big and productive, so it's not bad, at all.

Glad to see your plants still producing for you, MM. That is quite the harvest...and more still to pick. Very nice. Can't be of any help with the Goat's Weed ID, but good luck with it. I have a couple of nons that I have no idea what they are, but they are big and productive, so it's not bad, at all.

Yeah they are keeping on!

I've been lucky and only had a few NOTs and they aren't as dramatic as the Goatsweed.

A Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow looked alright except it ripened straight to red. A TS Moruga Red is a bit too smooth skinned and the wrong shape. One of my Primos doesn't look like it should. Today I noticed a plant labelled as Chocolate Fatalii has pods all spiky like a Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion. That one was probably my fault because those two plants were potted up and transplanted at the same time and I had to choose only a few of the best ones so I probably mixed up the tags.

I've sent an email to THSC with pictures, and see what they say.

Awesome harvest mon! Let us hear back what they say about the Goatsweed, I'd like to grow the black one some day but for now I've got enough ... Have a great week!

Great pull Mega! Been a really good year for you in spite of the buggy problems. Good to see them still pushing them out!
It has been an awesome season! Especially considering the plants were jacked on Nitrogen so under-produced, and the bug problems. Try to fix some of those problems next season.

Awesome harvest mon! Let us hear back what they say about the Goatsweed, I'd like to grow the black one some day but for now I've got enough ... Have a great week!

Neil from hippyseedcompany thinks they look a little strange like a throw back or something, not another specific variety he grows. He's sending me some more from his latest black goatsweed harvest no questions asked, their service is always good there. And despite saying I'd cut down on variety next season, I couldn't help but order some more seeds too ;)

Back