• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

Sucks about the pod damage. Wish I had a good suggestion. I'm sure you'll figure it out. We pour a lot of ourselves into growing these things. Painful when they become part of the unintended food chain.

Yeah, moo, go start a glog or something....... :rofl:
Just wait until I start getting lots of pods. There will be more recipes and less shots of plants that'll be looking the same week to week. ;)

Sucks about the pod damage. Wish I had a good suggestion. I'm sure you'll figure it out. We pour a lot of ourselves into growing these things. Painful when they become part of the unintended food chain.
There are a ton of green pods that must be due to ripen soon so I'm not that worried about a few damaged ones. With the mites its annoying because they can spread and spread and do so much damage. I'm really angry I had to use a chemical spray because it was all natural goodness up until then. (not counting the month or so they spent in a hydro system ;) )

On a good note, ALL of the massive pile of rat posion I had left at the point under the fence where the bastardos were getting in.... is gone! So at least thats one pest taken care of for now :D

Got lazy and didn't cook the Indian I was going to, but got it from the restaurant instead. It really is good quality. She asked me if I wanted mild medium or hot. I said hot and got the raised eyebrows and the, "Are you sure? it is really hot." I said its ok I eat chillies all the time but don't think she believed me. Must have gotten the `pretend hot` because it wasn't too much at all. I think next time I'll see if they do an extrahot.

Potted up 30 or so seedlings into their final pots today. Had a few more to do but it got dark so I'll finish it off tomorrow and take pictures then.

Did the layer of prawns experiment too. Hopefully it will grow big and green.

There's heaps of Indian grocers in Perth bud. Just google them. I make curries all the time, I've got every spice you could imagine.
That's why Indians have trouble playing soccer every time the take a corner kick they build a shop :) , heaps of gr8 places around
Yeah there is one a short drive from me, and they are apparently open sunday.... but I've come down with a serious case of `can't be fuct right now-itis`.

Also I ate that bhut jolokia pod yesterday and my guts don't feel good. I wouldn't have been able to eat one on its own so I had it with some Lasagne and something is not sitting right down there :( Was pretty damn hot but I tried to swallow fast so it didn't hang around in my mouth. Still had a LOT of burn for a single pod as you would expect. Had strong flavour too. I can see why people who can manage to eat them, like them. Perhaps after the bear jumps through the ring of fire I'll feel better.

Harvest in the dark and you get greenies :P
harvest002a_zps9aed884f.jpg

Trying to figure out why you would harvest in the dark, and then I remembered that in Australia you get night in the daytime and vice versa ;)

Nice looking pods! One of these days I'll have to ask you how you got the writing on the pictures. I have never done photo editing stuff.

Trying to figure out why you would harvest in the dark, and then I remembered that in Australia you get night in the daytime and vice versa ;)

Nice looking pods! One of these days I'll have to ask you how you got the writing on the pictures. I have never done photo editing stuff.
That's why hats with flashlights on them and sleeping masks are our biggest industries. :D

I used Photoshop. You can do it easily with Paint which comes with windows, there are other free and easy programs too.

Here are some photos because I want progress in the garden so I think If I post something it will pull everything along. I have so many green pods that must be ready to turn its driving me crazy :crazy:

Recent harvest.
harvesting-004A_zpse6da2d46.jpg

The Jonah pod has some rotting soft spots :(
More Orange Habs. Planted too many of them really but didn't plan the garden that well.
The Bhut Jolokias have a few tiny chew marks on them but they'll probably be good as long as I don't find anything inside.
Congo Browns I picked the other day have turned.

Old harvests have ripened on the bench.
harvesting-010a_zps940e1faf.jpg

You can also set up Photoshop to batch process files and put watermarks on them. I will have to figure it out so I can brand my name across everything :P Can't really imagine why anyone would want to use any of my old photos, nothing too special.

Jalapenos are all turning now.
harvesting-013a_zps27e49ea6.jpg

Yea them Wallabies are strange folk. This is why they invented day/night cricket, so the aussies could stay awake and win a few :rofl:

Nice harvesting there megamoo... that's going to be a few bears jumping through rings of fire!!! Nice!

That's why hats with flashlights on them and sleeping masks are our biggest industries. :D

I used Photoshop. You can do it easily with Paint which comes with windows, there are other free and easy programs too.

Here are some photos because I want progress in the garden so I think If I post something it will pull everything along. I have so many green pods that must be ready to turn its driving me crazy :crazy:

Recent harvest.
harvesting-004A_zpse6da2d46.jpg

The Jonah pod has some rotting soft spots :(
More Orange Habs. Planted too many of them really but didn't plan the garden that well.
The Bhut Jolokias have a few tiny chew marks on them but they'll probably be good as long as I don't find anything inside.
Congo Browns I picked the other day have turned.

What do you plan on doing with the Jonah pod? I ate a small pod cut up into small pieces on Sunday night with dinner. I need to keep my fingers crossed that the moths do not find my plant.

Do you have any photos of the innards of the Congo Brown pods?

Old harvests have ripened on the bench.
harvesting-010a_zps940e1faf.jpg

You can also set up Photoshop to batch process files and put watermarks on them. I will have to figure it out so I can brand my name across everything :P Can't really imagine why anyone would want to use any of my old photos, nothing too special.

How about a watermark where the letters of megamoo are on fire?

Jalapenos are all turning now.
harvesting-013a_zps27e49ea6.jpg

That's a good number of Jalapeño pods. I have some ripening on a couple of plants here.

Yea them Wallabies are strange folk. This is why they invented day/night cricket, so the aussies could stay awake and win a few :rofl:

Nice harvesting there megamoo... that's going to be a few bears jumping through rings of fire!!! Nice!
After a nit of training the ring doesn't burn as hot. Now bears go leaping with no pain ;)

I'm in the same boat as you Moo. Soooo many green pods. At least you've got a few ripening for ya.
As many pods as I'm getting I think the plants are still underproducing. After a long time of only water its time for some loiquid fertiliser.

What do you plan on doing with the Jonah pod? I ate a small pod cut up into small pieces on Sunday night with dinner. I need to keep my fingers crossed that the moths do not find my plant.

Do you have any photos of the innards of the Congo Brown pods?

How about a watermark where the letters of megamoo are on fire?

That's a good number of Jalapeño pods. I have some ripening on a couple of plants here.
The Jonah pod was rotten :) I'm yet to get a viable one but there are a few promising ones. One has just started to change colour.
Flaming watermark... hmmmm :think:

I'm getting all my Jalapeno pods ripening right now, but all the plants are about a third the size of my other plants. They've also had no liquid ferts for a long time like the big plants, but unlike the others they are in just plain sand soil and full sun so its no surprise.

Think I've said this before but I saved the seed from pods I bought at the supermarket, and I suspect the variety was specifically bred to stay green for a long time so that nice big green jalapeno pods could sit on the shelf for a long time. They really took a long time to ripen but each plant is really productive. I might try to grow these ones in much better conditions next time

I only just cut up the two little Congo Browns tonight and ate them in some Lasgane.
podsick050_zps104b79ec.jpg

mopods002_zpsb7c50250.jpg

Very tasty. Different flavour to the habs i've been eating and not as hot, although they were mixed into some very greasy oily food.

These are a bunch of good pods.
podsick004_zpsb3faa672.jpg

...and these are the bad pods. Cut them all open and found most had rot and some had all the signs of a maggot chewing it out but I found no actual bugs. Each one had dropped off the plant, or I picked it because I noticed something bad about it, like a sting or hole, or strange colouration.
podsick052_zpsa630e53b.jpg

Bottom right is a yellow 7 that had a tiny hole and brown shite spreading inside.

Is this what fruit fly do ?

These are some big pods that I've got me eye on. Put my hand in the pictures for scale.

Fairly large Dorset Naga
podsick021_zpsdf9e703d.jpg

Habanero Peach
podsick022_zpsadf58d05.jpg

7 Pot Yellow
podsick027_zps8ce30c36.jpg

The white stuff is from the sulphur I've been spraying on them to kill off the mites.
I was told by the guy at Biological Services that Lime Sulphur isn't the best thing because the residue can continue to kill beneficial bugs, He recommended Wettable Sulphur instead so I gave the plants another spraying down today. I suppose its working but can't really tell yet.

After a nit of training the ring doesn't burn as hot. Now bears go leaping with no pain ;)

As many pods as I'm getting I think the plants are still underproducing. After a long time of only water its time for some loiquid fertiliser.

The Jonah pod was rotten :) I'm yet to get a viable one but there are a few promising ones. One has just started to change colour.
Flaming watermark... hmmmm :think:

I'm getting all my Jalapeno pods ripening right now, but all the plants are about a third the size of my other plants. They've also had no liquid ferts for a long time like the big plants, but unlike the others they are in just plain sand soil and full sun so its no surprise.

Think I've said this before but I saved the seed from pods I bought at the supermarket, and I suspect the variety was specifically bred to stay green for a long time so that nice big green jalapeno pods could sit on the shelf for a long time. They really took a long time to ripen but each plant is really productive. I might try to grow these ones in much better conditions next time

I only just cut up the two little Congo Browns tonight and ate them in some Lasgane.
podsick050_zps104b79ec.jpg

mopods002_zpsb7c50250.jpg

Very tasty. Different flavour to the habs i've been eating and not as hot, although they were mixed into some very greasy oily food.

These are a bunch of good pods.
podsick004_zpsb3faa672.jpg

...and these are the bad pods. Cut them all open and found most had rot and some had all the signs of a maggot chewing it out but I found no actual bugs. Each one had dropped off the plant, or I picked it because I noticed something bad about it, like a sting or hole, or strange colouration.
podsick052_zpsa630e53b.jpg

Bottom right is a yellow 7 that had a tiny hole and brown shite spreading inside.

Is this what fruit fly do ?

These are some big pods that I've got me eye on. Put my hand in the pictures for scale.

Fairly large Dorset Naga
podsick021_zpsdf9e703d.jpg

Habanero Peach
podsick022_zpsadf58d05.jpg

7 Pot Yellow
podsick027_zps8ce30c36.jpg

The white stuff is from the sulphur I've been spraying on them to kill off the mites.
I was told by the guy at Biological Services that Lime Sulphur isn't the best thing because the residue can continue to kill beneficial bugs, He recommended Wettable Sulphur instead so I gave the plants another spraying down today. I suppose its working but can't really tell yet.

Those are some nice big looking pods moo!! Shame about your mushy ones ... hopefully you can get onto it and fix whatever is causing the issues.
I chose lime sulphur specifically for both mite control and fungal control as a kicker(as a couple of plants had shown signs of powdery mildew). I don't know that any sulphur is good for bugs so I wouldn't be to concerned. Just wash the plants down a couple of times in the mornings prior (or if you have some good rain) to releasing your good mites and you will be fine

Obviously you will need to wait a week or two as well before release... but I am sure you will be all over that with your contact with the bug people anyway

... She asked me if I wanted mild medium or hot. I said hot and got the raised eyebrows and the, "Are you sure? it is really hot." I said its ok I eat chillies all the time but don't think she believed me. Must have gotten the `pretend hot` because it wasn't too much at all. I think next time I'll see if they do an extrahot. ...
Take her one of your most picante pods and tell her you eat them like candy :D Beautiful pod pics, sad to hear of the damaged ones and bug issues, don't give up da war, I think we're all fighting them :/

I have seen this in my milder pods... man that sucks... so close and all rotten inside. Man I would be so sour about that. How the hell do those critters survive inside those superhots?

Hi Moo
insect/fungus damage really sucks, but at least you've got some monster pods to console you. Is the Yellow 7 pod you pictured from Pepperlover.com?
Cheers

Back