• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

Hi Moo! Quick Q..... My Pimenta De Neyde has a few pods on it now, but i was wondering how you tell when they are ripe? Do they change colour at all?

I do the squeeze test ... they are rock hard when unripe but have give in them when ripe.

Looking great mega ... nice to see you are still cranking along there bro!!

I was going to ask that myself. First time growing PDN and I've only one weak plant with one runt pod. Was looking at it today and it hasn't changed colour or shape for weeks.

I don't know what causes runt pods but this plant was covered up by the one next to it that had really bad mites. I suspect there is some sort of virus or bacteria connected to mites that causes the stunted growth. The plant doesn't show any sign of mites but something is holding it back.

Thanks Trippa. Weather is starting to really cool down here so don't know how long the plants will keep on going.

It was because I saved seeds from healthy plants and pods so I know they grow well in my conditions, they grew true to type, a lot of my superhots didn't look like they should have. Also I can make custom sauces from the pods if I get enough. I would like to add Douglah to that list but the one plant I got pods from only produced a handful all season. I'll definitely grow them but not on the large scale.
Wish me luck I'm in the process of trying to get a Douglah to produce for me this season. Got lots of leaves but its too early for me to tell if it'll produce some pods for me. We had 2" of snow up here ystrdy anyway & its already officially spring..

Wish me luck I'm in the process of trying to get a Douglah to produce for me this season. Got lots of leaves but its too early for me to tell if it'll produce some pods for me. We had 2" of snow up here ystrdy anyway & its already officially spring..
Good luck :) My Douglahs are not producing pods for some reason. They look healthy enough.

Just found a big Yellow 7Pot pod fully ripened and apparently bug free. The plant is still growing strong while a lot of others are faltering in some cooler weather. It's earning its place at the top of the list!

Going to cut it up and save the seeds tonight when the lil ones are in bed and take some photos.

All my plants have had a sudden burst of flowering! Plenty of pods ripening too, although a lot are undersized. I'll leave everything on there for a few days then do a video. Ate a Zimbabwe Black fresh off the bush yesterday. It was pretty hot for an ornamental. Had an instant sting and hit its peak then died away a minute later.

Hi Megamoo... amazing garden man! Simply amzing! So many great plants and pods... Awesome!
Thanks, much appreciated. :) It's made a bit of a comeback, and if the warm weather holds I'll be in for another bumper harvest. Forecast is warm and sunny for the rest of the week.

These are two Yellow 7 Pot pods I just cut up. The one on the left is from cappy, and not sure if its meant to be brainy or not. Got a big tail coming out Other one is from semillas I think. I had yet another source for Yellow 7s and I might have got them mixed up. Not a real problem, they are both wrinkly on top.
yellow7pot_zpsa25ed034.jpg

Fantastic looking pods there Mega!!! Digging your watermark too! I hear ya on the heat and endorphin rush. If you don't catch the flavor in the first few seconds...you just gotta wait for the aftertaste in 10-15 minutes

Something about a bear jumping through a fire hole, or am I imagining this?
ah yes I remember now, the circus performing bear and the ring of fire ;) He does his trick now and then, following a superhot chilli consumption.

I've been freezing most of the pods that aren't bug infested, and eating the odd one. My tolerance for the nuclear ones is better but I've still got a long way to go. I've had to borrow my parents freezer space to accommodate them all. I really need to get a new fridge and/or a big chest freezer if I can find a cheap one. After all the plants are cut down I'll make sauce and dry some for powders, that will keep me warm for winter. :D

Back