• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

Wow, Melissa been too long since I visited! As always you got me jealous over here! Mine are loading up though...we'll be able to start up our Socal pod exchange soon! Made my first pepper dinner the other night for the fam. The whole fam actually enjoyed it, and now they're mad that there's no more Poblanos ripe! By the way, we have the same cherry tomatoes going. Mine have to be left on the plant until they're REAL ripe...then another day for good measure and they're great. A little early on the picking and there just so-so...are yours the same way?

I should REALLY stop looking....haha...yeah right, like I can help it!The smokemaster pods are like none I've ever seen. I only had 2 Primos pop, and they got lost in the shuffle...but I have a mystery pepper that looks extremely similar to yours , so it may not be a mystery any more
That Black Scorp Tongue is really awesome....I hope I can catch the sasbe!

Thanks gnslngr!! I really have to do a better job at labeling next year, so many mystery pods out there right now! lol. Smokemaster has some really cool varieties, lucky to be growing some out! And no worries on the black scorpion tongue seeds, I will save you some! ;)

Just love your updates, Melissa. That view is great indeed! Looks like your Padrons are bit too ripe even, next time you can pick them even earlier. How's it going with the Chocolate Hand Grenade pod, any progress?

Thanks meatfreak, appreciate it! The padrons throw me off, will definitely pick them sooner next time. I have a whole bunch more on plants, thinking of picking them all now! Ask and you shall receive, updated pics of aji joe choc hand grenade coming up! :)

Your grow just gets more awesome as the summer goes on, Melissa.
Your chinense bed should produce some great pod pic opportunities!
5 yards of dirt and all is well in your garden.

Hey Paul! Thanks for stopping in, and as always for your kind words! :) Things are really picking up fast over here, getting really hard to manage by my lonesome! lol. That chinense bed should be amazing in a couple months, training all those plants will be a task though. I wish 5yds did the trick in my garden, can you believe I still have a good 50 plants to pot up?! Never ends in my world, must be well over 300 plants, I guessed way low with that one! haha. Luckily this last place I got bulk soil from is only a couple miles from my house, and the peppers seem to love it. Some of the plants were hurting pretty bad, greened up nice in that soil. Next week I will pick up another yard and get back to potting up :banghead:

Lovely monster pods Melissa and that raised bed will be a jungle in no time...make sure u save the seeds

Thanks Pinoy!! My seed collection will be massive come summer end!! :D

Aji Joe Choc hand grenade progress, has a good 10 pods set already, no slowing that one down!
IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

7 Pot Morouga Yellow loading up!
IMG_3359.jpg

TS Morouga blend?? Will have to wait and see how they progress before I know for sure.
IMG_3361.jpg

Santaka Asian
IMG_3362.jpg

Cayenne Golden starting to ripen!
IMG_3363.jpg

Tobago Scotch Bonnet
IMG_3364.jpg

This guy lives in one of my greenhouses and is always very friendly, I can even hold him on my finger. He is sitting on a kiwi plant leaf :)
IMG_3337.jpg

Wow, Melissa been too long since I visited! As always you got me jealous over here! Mine are loading up though...we'll be able to start up our Socal pod exchange soon! Made my first pepper dinner the other night for the fam. The whole fam actually enjoyed it, and now they're mad that there's no more Poblanos ripe! By the way, we have the same cherry tomatoes going. Mine have to be left on the plant until they're REAL ripe...then another day for good measure and they're great. A little early on the picking and there just so-so...are yours the same way?

Your plants are most definitely loading up Shane, won't be long for you! I made some nopales tonight, chopped up a bunch of the chiles I picked today, tomato and tomatillo. Amazing!! Very cool that the whole fam liked the chile dinner, will be a long time before I can get my girls on the chile bandwagon! lol. I haven't tasted the cherry toms yet, you are going to laugh when I tell you I don't eat tomatoes fresh! Haha. I can eat them in salads and sandwiches, salsa of course or cook with them. But just popping one in my mouth isn't my cup of tea, my brother made me try a sweet olive Tom last week like that, gag! lol, he thinks I'm crazy too. :P I just noticed today my cantina yellows are starting to ripen, finally! Pod exchanges real soon for us SoCal growers!

As always Melissa, your plants look incredible. Nice pet mantis also. Please let me know when you get some black scorp tongue pods you are willing to part with,
and a chocolate hand grenade also. No rush, I got enough on my hands right now as it is, and I don't have close to 300 plants. LOL. Keep up the great work.

As always Melissa, your plants look incredible. Nice pet mantis also. Please let me know when you get some black scorp tongue pods you are willing to part with,
and a chocolate hand grenade also. No rush, I got enough on my hands right now as it is, and I don't have close to 300 plants. LOL. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Emon!! I will definitely let you know when I have some extra pods, probably another month or so. And by that time you should have way more to pick from too :) Take care!

Some Day Ill be able To Grow That Many and Such Beautiful Plants Nice Log

Thanks, appreciate it! Good luck to you this season :)

TS Morouga blend?? Will have to wait and see how they progress before I know for sure.

Hmm... looks like a Morouga Red, or perhaps a Trinidad Congo?

+1 on both of those compmodder26, I have both varieties going so it is possible. Right next to that plant is a Morouga yellow, so it is possible that I put a red next to it. Thanks for stopping in! :)

Wow Melissa 300 plants. You are amazing :fireball: I could not begin to fathom the amount of time you spend in your garden.

Your plants look beyond healthy and are loading up with serious poddage. Keep up the good work.

cant wait.. cant wait... man.. 3 weeks and my mantis eggs not hatched.. dont see any movement.. shell still intact... its in warm weather cant figure out why nothing yet...

so farn the choco hand grenade doesnt look like its hold the shape of the original pod but we shall,
now i really wanna see how mine turn out

Meatfreak if i have not missed my guess you have seeds for the Grenade also let us know how they turn out i have two plant myself and im now even more curious about whether they will be true

MELLISA yours are looking more like the black hab, but one pod on there seems to favor the long chocolate hab

what im shooting for here is the look of the original cross IS

POINTED AT THE BOTTOM, LIGHT BROWN INTERMINGLING/ MORE BLACK, FAT AND KNARLY LIKE A BHUT OR SCORP

PLEASE POST AGAIN WHEN THEY RIPEN

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

Melissa your plants are awesome! I get so jealous of everyone on here then need to remember I'm a newbie! Haha, Can't wait to see the ripened pods!

so farn the choco hand grenade doesnt look like its hold the shape of the original pod but we shall,

Meatfreak if i have not missed my guess you have seeds for the Grenade also let us know how they turn out i have two plant myself and im now even more curious about whether they will be true

MELLISA yours are looking more like the black hab, but one pod on there seems to favor the long chocolate hab

POINTED AT THE BOTTOM, LIGHT BROWN INTERMINGLING/ MORE BLACK, FAT AND KNARLY LIKE A BHUT OR SCORP

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

I do have 2 plants, Joe. Last time it was only a stem after 4 days they already looked like this:

IMAG1013.jpg

IMAG1012.jpg

And now they are even bushier again, but I don't have a recent picture.

Thanks for the grenade update, Melissa. They look jummie though :)

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

I do have 2 plants, Joe. Last time it was only a stem after 4 days they already looked like this:

IMAG1013.jpg

IMAG1012.jpg

And now they are even bushier again, but I don't have a recent picture.

wonderful keep in touch and let me know how they turn out

thanks your friend Joe

Looking forward to the ripe pod pic of the hand gernade as well. The one I got from Joe had a bad case of helmet head. I cliped it off after it appeared not to want to fall off on its own. That was Friday and eeven now it doesn't have any growth on it as of yet. Hopefully it doesn't die out on me for doing that. We'll see though in a few days.
Grat update as usual Melissa
:cheers:
Aaron

Melissa, that mantis is awesome. It won't be long, it will be talkin' to you!

Wow Melissa 300 plants. You are amazing :fireball: I could not begin to fathom the amount of time you spend in your garden.

Your plants look beyond healthy and are loading up with serious poddage. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Jamie, you don't want to know how much time I spend in the garden! lol. It's getting really hard to manage, need some days off to catch up (with no kids). As much as I try to get things done with the girls, it ends up being more work in the long run. I water for an hour before they get up, get a good hour at nap time, then 5+ hours mon-fri depending on when the husband gets home. Sat/Sun I work in the yard 10+ hours unless we have to go somewhere. Never ending job, I must be crazy. :crazy: Good thing is the plants are starting to reward me with pods, which almost makes it all worth it! lol. Your pod pics are amazing as always :cheers:

cant wait.. cant wait... man.. 3 weeks and my mantis eggs not hatched.. dont see any movement.. shell still intact... its in warm weather cant figure out why nothing yet...

LOL @ emon, patience is key with them I have learned. I bet they will hatch when you least expect it. You could always go back to the nursery you bought them at and ask for replacement eggs?

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

Hey Joe, let's hope one of the other plants I have has the shape you are looking for. I have one in the ground that is finally starting to get use to the clay and take off. Plus I put one in the new raised bed too, and one more to pot up! Let's see how they all turn out, should be interesting! :)

Melissa your plants are awesome! I get so jealous of everyone on here then need to remember I'm a newbie! Haha, Can't wait to see the ripened pods!

Thanks Punn!! :) This past February marked my 1st year of growing anything, we had just bought our house and my husband wanted peppers, boy did he get them! haha. I have a feeling this time next year you won't be a newbie at ALL! Happy Growing

Anytime :)

Looking forward to the ripe pod pic of the hand gernade as well. The one I got from Joe had a bad case of helmet head. I cliped it off after it appeared not to want to fall off on its own. That was Friday and eeven now it doesn't have any growth on it as of yet. Hopefully it doesn't die out on me for doing that. We'll see though in a few days.
Grat update as usual Melissa
:cheers:
Aaron

Hey Aaron, thanks for stopping in! :) I have had seedlings stall out at that stage for weeks because I did that, almost all of them eventually grew in to nice plants for me. If not I am sure I could send you and the wifey a couple pods this season, take care!
Melissa, that mantis is awesome. It won't be long, it will be talkin' to you!

He is a cool guy, I swear I see him move his mouth! :P

My not choco hab, cool pod shapes on this plant!
IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

Potted Black scorpion tongue VS in ground, both are awesome!
IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

Cantina Yellow starting to lose it's suntan and show just a little tint of yellow
IMG_3373.jpg

7 Pot Barrackpore, looks like a double flower.
IMG_3382.jpg

Biquinho
IMG_3372.jpg

I have a few lady bugs... but I have yet to see any mantis in my garden.

I just bought some more lady's this past weekend. Last year the mantis didn't stick around, this year I have had pretty good luck with them! :)

Back