• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Memorial Day (Two-Week) User-land BBQ Contest

There are no rules. It's a casual contest with a big prizes, and the winners will be determined by user polling over next weekend.

The prize box I'm providing will have items from:

Joyner's Hot Peppers
Texas Creek
Lucky Dog Hot Sauces
Dee Roo (SmokenFire)
Scotty O'Hotty
Pex Peppers
Walkerswood
Teeny Tiny Spice Co.
Meat Church
Defcon
Mild Bill's
Johnson Berry Farms
Zatarain's
Season With Spice

... so far.

I haven't poked around my Asian shelves, or the Cambro's of Modernist powders yet - but I'll be including stuff from there as well, if possible.

A prize box from JHP will be provided by Joyner's Hot Pepper Powders, thanks Chris.

A prize box from Texas Creek is forthcoming, TBD once we figure out how the voting will be organized. This prize can be donated to AnySoldier.

Just worked out a prize box from Lucky Dog Hot Sauce with Scott that will include the new Chipotle, a Dia Del Perro, and the Black label sauce (CONUS) (tctenten has sponsored this being available to an expat member if it ends up as such).

And also, a prize box from Pex Peppers that will include a pair of his sauces (CONUS).

* If you are a producer/vendor, or just looking to sponsor a prize box out of sheer benevolence, shoot me a PM and we'll get it in there ...

The more prizes the better, certainly.

Sunday or Monday, here ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432351636.586942.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Most won't find it hard to believe that I never liked history, and pretty much only cared about math and science ...

Factor in that I pretty much can't read, and well, history's always been a bit of a bitch for me ...

I resisted applying much military content to the contest - because I'm pretty unfamiliar w/ military life, and customs as well ...

I've been talking w/ Bumper and he's got some ideas about a theme that would better root the contest w/ Memorial Day ...

So hopefully we can get a better Memorial Day theme going ... which I think is probably an important consideration ...

On my end it's mostly just a pay it forward gesture, a chance to share ... lots of members have been generous w/ me in terms of seeds, products, and especially time/advice/instruction ...

attachicon.gif
FullSizeRender.jpg

just some stuff.

Lol - all we were chatting about was rather than just a BBQ fest (which, I am always keen on) we could look at BBQ from a country where US soldiers have given their lives.  Means you would get northern and southern BBQ of course, but opens it up to getting people thinking about different countries and their BBQ as well.  Seems odd for an Aussie to be posting, but having been to France and seen the D-Day cemeteries, tends to change your perspective a bit.   Regardless, BBQ and booze is required!! That is one generous prize pool going on there GM!!

So I went with Vietnamese BBQ street food.  Chicken wings and pork skewers, which will be served with a fresh noodle salad tomorrow.  Heat courtesy of Joyners Thai Blend (love this stuff!)

IMG_0781_zpshr53wdke.jpg

Chicken wings segmented and marinating

IMG_0782_zpsacs5nm1k.jpg

Pork roast deboned, diced and marinating.  Puppies now full of bits of wing, pig fat and skin.  

IMG_0783_zpscjzlpylj.jpg

Back