• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

What's the frost situation there?

Last year we had three overnight frosts, one day was the severe one & took out my three biggest Bhuts.

That 7 brown is mighty fine looking! Attempted last season, none germed, gave up, and then had seeds pop. So after narrowing down... i think mine never podded up, so i overwintered the plant to see if it is the brown. Could be a red douglah though. I have a couple new starts this season to make sure i end up with one. Sounds like that taste great!
Please give us a right up when to try that beauty!

And pods everywhere!

Same for me, this 7 pod brown was the hardest of any plant ive tried to grow, i thought i had a pair of them but one of them has red fruit on it?? i will take a picture & see if anyone can ID the pepper, so im left with a single plant that is growing pods true to form.

And because this is the only one & because it was so hard to grown it will be kept nice & warm spot over winter & then i'll re-pot it in a much larger container (after a severe haircut) in spring.

beautiful pics of the peach bhuts Mez. Thanks. My peach scorp is only around 2 ft tall now but not long & I may have a pod or two emerging. Your season's harvest is phenomenal :shocked: Congrats :cheers: You'll deserve a proper pint after harvesting the rest :beer:

Thanks DC, i deserve a pint every time i do a harvest, its back breaking work trying to reach over plants to snip a single pod from the back, would be some much easier having rows of peppers in raised beds.

Mezo.

Nice work mez lad. You got rain yesterday?? Dry as a bone up here ... harvests look top notch!! Douglahs take an age to ripen in their first seasons as well .... to me they seem to produce and ripen quicker in the second season .... maybe its the same for the 7 browns??

Yeah a bit of rain Tripa but not enough so ill be firing up the pump & drowning them today, you say about Douglah`s i think you may have hit the nail on the head there? i just did this movie of the 7 pod brown & what i thought was a second 7 pod brown.

The second plant (red fruit) has only just started to ripen this week, months after all the other plants, any idea what it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPZ6lzUt38

Mezo.

Realised i needed to make room in the dryer so i bagged six weeks of reds, originally six kilograms fresh & now half a kilogram dry.

halfkilo_zpse928a1da.jpg

Just removing them & hand crushing them so i could fit them all in the two large snaplock bags had me sneezing, nose running, eyes watering, lips burning i was suffering.

The bag of seeds are just what had fallen out & laying on the racks.

Mezo.

Those brown 7s are sweet. Hope one of mine turns out like that one, or the OW is even one at this point!
lol I feel you on the toxic adventures! I grinded up some more powder the other day and about killed myself. I put the lid back on crooked and sent powder everywhere.
I tryed washing my hands afterwards with sugar and then mixed w/soap, and that helped more than i thought. Can't remember who suggested that on the site here, but i was impressed. Nice haul on the dried goods! Plenty of fire!
I also thought your peach bhuts looked good. Growing those right now and are looking forward to tasting them!

Gotta put on the chemical warfare suit in order to get the pepper smashing done... I remembered one day i had smashed up a bunch of peppers with my hands and put it in a bowl of some good ol pozole, didn't give it a thought about washing my hands till they started stinging... Washed and washed my hands but it never went away... Looks like ya got enough seeds to start your own seed bank... :drooling:

I've got a respirator tucked away somewhere & im going to use that when i grind them up, i remember powdering my Bhut`s last year & suffered big time.

Well i managed to get a whole drying rack full of yellow peppers & another rack of reds (pics to come) then if you remember when i posted the vid the other day i thought there was more to come off the plants, so i went around again with my trusty kitty litter tray & managed to fill it to the brim, so another 2 kilograms of peppers (two more drying racks worth when split open).

So that`s four kilograms in four days. :dance:

seventhharvest_zps9362d6be.jpg

Tomorrow ill be chopping this lot & loading them in the dryer, just as well i made room for them yesterday, and ive not picked Daves super scorp plant for the second time.

This harvest has or will have produced so far a whole kilogram of powder (2.2lbs) and still more fruit to pick yet. :party:

Mezo.

I do have to ask though, you did wash the tray first, didn't you, Meez??

I bought them because they are handy & cheap, i don't have a pussy (neither before you ask) they are a two buck tray that just happened to be earmarked for cats to take a shit in. :P

What are you doin with all that powder Mez? Selling any?

Well yes i may just be doing that very thing, im thinking of putting some on ebay as "the worlds hottest chilli powder" and it is because i've made it with the the worlds hottest peppers i can claim that title (15 blend superhot pepper powder) ;)

I think i'll throw in free seeds as well so they can have a go at growing some of their own supers. :fireball:
Mezo.

I'm thinking the red one looks scorpionish? Is the Super Scorp the tall one next to the caravan that you mentioned in the other vid? You waiting to harvest that one or had to skip over it to harvest the others right?

Beautiful harvest, Mezo. I've never container gardened and am amazed at the production you're getting. Good work!

Thanks Jessee, not a bad harvest for pots but i could do much better in the ground, will have to give it some thought for next season.

I'm thinking the red one looks scorpionish? Is the Super Scorp the tall one next to the caravan that you mentioned in the other vid? You waiting to harvest that one or had to skip over it to harvest the others right?

No thats not the Super Scorp, i do have two Supers Scorps but ive lost one of them, seriously its hidden in there but i cant find it.

The one i filmed next to the 7P Brown is strange, its like no other i have & grew differently? i have been pulling red fruit for months but this single plant has only just ripened alongside the brown time wise.

Im going to crop it separately from the others & take some real good shots, then post it on the pepper ID section.

Mezo.

Removed a few more dried peppers & rearranged last weeks harvest number seven, i managed to get 2 & 1/4 trays of reds and 1 & 1/2 trays of yellow plus a few stragglers like choc habs & peach bhuts (bottom rack at the back).

seventhharvestdrying_zpsdf430cb0.jpg

Just need some glorious sunshine to dry this lot & ripen the others on the palnts.

Mezo.

Looks awesome! Do they dry quicker on the bottom or the top or is it even. I'm definitely going to have to build something like this myself for next season.

Wow, it looks like one season of growing has left you with enough peppers to last a lifetime! Amazing what you can get from one tent full of plants. Can't hardly compete with that, but It's just getting nice here in the UK, have 3 pods already growing on one of my morugas and 30 odd habaneros already taking form, and a load of not so hot ones.

Well done with harvest, have you still got much more to come?

Back