• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

I have spent the better part of the last hour reading all of your notes for this season including your other thread where you reference this one...excellent job on everything....

first question: what was your final thoughts on Hoffman's?....if you don't like it or found problems with it, please say so...you are sure not going to hurt my feelings...I know it can be a pain to work with....

The thermostat is a day/night thermostat, and I figured why not because the same kind of thermostat that was only 1 temp was only like $5 less.. so for $5 I can control day or night temps.. even though I don't really plan to change them.. but whatever

http://www.amazon.co...=A3VZKFNMHAPZBO

looks like the same one I have...and it's a goodun'....does your's have a "remote bulb" with it...temperature sensor on a wire that plugs into the thermostat?...temperature sensor is good for sticking in the soil and measuring soil temp and not ambient...

Lejeune? If so I made an amphibious landing there back in 98!

ah the stories I could tell about LeJeune back in 69/70'...was stationed on hospital point...one quick one...there was a boy stationed with me there that lived in the barracks...he was from the deep swamps of Louisiana, a pure cajun'....and he was deathly afraid of black cats...said they were evil and the work of the devil...am thinking there was some voodoo magic in his background...anyway...he came to his room in the barracks one day and found a black cat....he totally freaked out...took the cat outside, tied it by the tail to a pine tree between the barracks and the lake, doused it with lighter fluid and lit it up...was a truly terrible sight...that resulted in a Bad Conduct discharge from the Navy....only thing I can tell you is this boy was crazy....

I had a dome on mine but took it off today since it just keeps it too wet

and this usually means damping off could be an issue...my very first time starting seeds, I used the domes for about 2 days then trashed them...

looks like the same one I have...and it's a goodun'....does your's have a "remote bulb" with it...temperature sensor on a wire that plugs into the thermostat?...temperature sensor is good for sticking in the soil and measuring soil temp and not ambient...
glad to hear that, and yes it does have the temp. sensor on there, it has a little ring in it so you can screw it onto something.. but I just keep it near the base of the plants, but I will stick it in the soil now like you suggested, I just had figured it would be pretty close, but the soil temp should be more consistent I guess

and this usually means damping off could be an issue...my very first time starting seeds, I used the domes for about 2 days then trashed them...

yeah, I haven't used one after I posted that, it just kept it way too wet, I had really only kept it on at night to keep the temps a little more stable, but now that there are seedlings up, it's off for good.. if only those chocolate bhuts and a few other of the peppers would pop up sooner lol

Very nice craftsmanship sir. How much did that little project set you back??

Thanks man, it was about 50 with bulbs. The bulbs were the most expensive part...

Ronnie, I appreciate the read. As far as Hoffman's goes, I am currently on the fence. Maybe you can push one way or the other, but as everyone has probably noticed, this has been a season of ups and downs. It is my first season, so it is expected, however, whenever I get on track everything seems to go downhill.

At first glance, the Hoffman's was great. Light, airy, and the "cleanest" mix I have ever seen. I got some pretty good germ rates, and then after a week or so, everything starts to look bad. Like really bad. My symptoms are purple leaves, then they drop. Also, some green leaves turn yellow and drop. And some green leaves drop. So basically, they sprout, and then look great, then drop their cotys. At first, I blamed the water. I sit water out for 2 days and then use it when need be. I have some that have sat for a week, so I know it is clean. That didn't fix it, so onto the lights. I figured the MH was too powerful for tender seedlings, so I switched to a T5. At first, everything looked great, but then they started to drop leaves again. So the only thing that was left was the soil...BUT, I had the same issues with RR plugs.

After posting another thread looking for help, some have said that it is due to overwatering. This is totally possible, and I have stopped watering until the flat is really light and only let it sit in the water for a few mintues. However, since I am under new lights and changed up watering methods, I cannot be sure that it is the soil.

I planted a flat of PromixBX and those seedlings look leaps and bounds better than anything I have planted in the past 2 months.
b4744fd3.jpg

be56b501.jpg

The Hoffman's mix sinks into the cell.
f07e5671.jpg

Here is a photo of the Promix on the left and Hoffman's on the right. The Promix was planted about 2 weeks AFTER the Hoffman's.
e6a5e8b2.jpg

In order to test the soil, I have planted another 18 3oz cups. 15 are Promix, and 3 are Hoffman's. I will do everything the same and if the Hoffman's drops leaves, then it is the soil. If they all grow the same then I am an idiot and overwatered....I also was thinking I may have got a bad bag, but the same thing happened with the rapid rooter plugs...

As of right now I do not have a definitive opinion. I think Hoffman's is very light and clean, more so than Promix. But I have had significantly better results with the Promix (possibly due to water or light), so it is hard to make the call. I would love your input on this since you have been using it for longer than I have.

hey Matt, I just noticed that when planting a few more seeds today, and that after a week or so (basically once the first ones start sprouting) the other soil tends to sink in a little on the Hoffman's like you said, and is a little more compact.. not sure if that is a big factor, but I don't know.. luckily i have most of my plants going already and these last 40 or so I am doing as extras and some plants that didn't get great germ rates before ect... next year I will give Promix BX a shot, I saw them and they look pretty good..

as always, good luck, those plants on the left look really good

I just don't have any problem with the Hoffman's once I relearn my process...have no clue (other than light) as to what your issue was...

I have said this many times and will say it again...you have to find out what works for you through experimentation like you are doing and when you find out, you need to stick with it...

Dude...your luck sucks! I have one tray that is really struggling from soil issues. I know the soil that I'm using is working for other folks and it worked for my for a while but now it SUCKS.

Your issued could be a combo of water/soil. That was my issue. The soil settled as mentioned above, then it was staying too dry up top and too wet down low.

Like you I have been constantly adjusting light/water/nutes and soil since the season started. Some of the chinenses I planted about 3 weeks ago just passed some of the annuums I planted back in December. Hang in there brother, you'll find your sweet spot.

Shane

Matt,

Are you bottom watering yet? your plants look just like mine 2 weeks ago and I was ready to throw them all out and start over, small, yellow, stunted growth, the works.
First thing I did was get rid of the bottom watering, the soil is to fine for that and it kinda turns to mud, suffocating the little rascals, then once they started drying out I gave em a weak solution of fish emulation cal-mag and epsom, with in 2 maybe 3 day the color came back they doubled in size and started growing so fast that I can't keep up on transplanting them.

Not saying this will work but what have you got to lose, for what its worth, Jeff

I just don't have any problem with the Hoffman's once I relearn my process...have no clue (other than light) as to what your issue was...

I have said this many times and will say it again...you have to find out what works for you through experimentation like you are doing and when you find out, you need to stick with it...

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I have no problem with the issues, because I am still figuring out what works for me. If this shit happens when I have been growin as long as you, then my blood pressure may rise a bit, but then Ill grab a beer and figure it out then....

Dude...your luck sucks! I have one tray that is really struggling from soil issues. I know the soil that I'm using is working for other folks and it worked for my for a while but now it SUCKS.

Your issued could be a combo of water/soil. That was my issue. The soil settled as mentioned above, then it was staying too dry up top and too wet down low.

Like you I have been constantly adjusting light/water/nutes and soil since the season started. Some of the chinenses I planted about 3 weeks ago just passed some of the annuums I planted back in December. Hang in there brother, you'll find your sweet spot.

Shane

Your tellin me! LOL. This has definitely been a learning experience for me. I can't really blame ONE thing, but like you said it may just be a combo. I am happy I have the Promix flat kickin and I am sure that I will have the other 18 I planted pop up. The Promix flat had the jals, cayennes and some other non supers. The only supers were ButchT, 7 White, Choc and Red Bhuts, and some crosses. I had all the supers in the Hoffman's flat. So once the Hoffman's flat bit the dust, and the Promix took off I planted a cup of each of the ones that were not gonna make it. This way, at least I will have one of each. Not too disappointing as I just wanted to plant out one of each anyways.

Matt,

Are you bottom watering yet? your plants look just like mine 2 weeks ago and I was ready to throw them all out and start over, small, yellow, stunted growth, the works.
First thing I did was get rid of the bottom watering, the soil is to fine for that and it kinda turns to mud, suffocating the little rascals, then once they started drying out I gave em a weak solution of fish emulation cal-mag and epsom, with in 2 maybe 3 day the color came back they doubled in size and started growing so fast that I can't keep up on transplanting them.

Not saying this will work but what have you got to lose, for what its worth, Jeff

Jeff I am bottom watering. I am definitely open to what you did. Like you said, it may or may not work, but I was ready to toss em before your post. When you top water, do you avoid the leaves, or folliar/topsoil water? Also, about what ratio for the nutes (i.e. 1/2 strength, 1/4 strength, etc.)? I have some Neptunes Harvest Fish Emulsion and Cal Mag. Haven't got the epsom, but have been meaning to pick some up. This will probably give me a reason to make a stop at walgreens tomorrow.

I will definitely keep everyone posted. Like I said, I have a little experiment goin with the cups, and I am gonna give the nutes on the Hoffman's flat a shot. Thanks for reading!

The promix looks pretty impressive compared side to side like that...

I like it so far. It is not as clean as the Hoffman's, but it doesnt sink and it seems to allow the roots some more growing room. If you price them both out, I pay 20 bucks for 2.8 cu ft of Promix, and about 10 bucks for 10qts for Hoffman's. I am also gonna be usin the Promix to pot up into, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Hey Matt. I was wondering how the heck everything was goin for ya. That's pretty weird seeing the results your having with hoffman's now that were both using the exact same hydro farm fixture, bulbs, and starting soil I can only think of a couple things.. One being the height of your lights but I don't think that's an issue for you seeing the promix starts doing so well.. even so, I just measured.. I finally found the sweet spot for mine and they are 13inchs away from the tops of my plants.. Other than that did you fertilize any of those starts? I didn't fertilze until the first set of leaves was near maturity. The biggest thing I can think of would be watering. I waited until the top of the soil was actually hard from being so dry, then I would bottom water. The soil sinking in does happen with it and I found out how to avoid it. You have to really pack each cell before you plant the seed, because it's so light and fluffy if it's not super dense it will sink down and compact itself after each watering. Hopefully I helped ya out a bit.. Glad to see promix is working.. I'd just bail on hoffmans if promix continues to work for ya. Like Ronnie said, everyones different.. that's why theres 563.5 different ways people are growing in the glog section lol. Good luck Matt.

Brandon

Edit, just saw your reply.. WOW Promix is expensive! Good to see it works lol

I just keep looking at those seedlings in the Promix flat with jealous eyes haha ;)

Edit, just saw your reply.. WOW Promix is expensive! Good to see it works lol

actually.. if I am not mistaken, but 1cu ft=25.75 quarts, so the promix is a whole lot cheaper, if I personally had some more seeds that I could plant, I would plant a new tray in Promix Bx.. but oh well, the ones I have are doing ok, just need to adjust to it a little better

Matt,

Good to know! I just tried to take a little toothpick and loose it up a little without moving the mix around, just kind of going around the edges and pressing in to get it to break up a little.. which btw, how exactly are you top watering, do you just pour it lightly onto the top, or just spraying with a water bottle until it gets wet..?

and +1 to Matt about the nuts and all that

Hey Brandon, I think I have the lights at about 6 or so inches. I have to deal with a little bit of purple leaves, but if I raise it up, they start to get too leggy. So right now I am takin the purple leaves and am just monitoring them. I am thinkin that once they start to put out their 3rd or 4th set of true leaves they will be able to handle it. We shall see....

LOL Max! I have waited like 2 months to get some starts to look like that. So I am pretty happy with em!

LOL Max! I have waited like 2 months to get some starts to look like that. So I am pretty happy with em!

haha, yeah that is true you have some rough times, but they should fly up really fast I would think now.. hopefully you had most of your "required lessons" learned early on, and the rest is smooth sailing lol, I started out good, then had a few snags with almost drowning the first set of plants I started out with, but I think I am all set now too.. assuming that the set of seeds I just planted come up.. but I think I am just going crazy waiting for everything to grow and looking at everyone else on here.. it's driving me a little crazy lol :crazy: .. and the unstable weather with warm days and then cold days doesn't help.. it was 55 out yesterday and I woke up this morning with 4 inches of snow on the ground, and freezing rain all day!..

Sprayer_01.JPG

Spicy Chicken, on 24 February 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Matt,

Jeff I am bottom watering. I am definitely open to what you did. Like you said, it may or may not work, but I was ready to toss em before your post. When you top water, do you avoid the leaves, or folliar/topsoil water? Also, about what ratio for the nutes (i.e. 1/2 strength, 1/4 strength, etc.)? I have some Neptunes Harvest Fish Emulsion and Cal Mag. Haven't got the epsom, but have been meaning to pick some up. This will probably give me a reason to make a stop at walgreens tomorrow.

I will definitely keep everyone posted. Like I said, I have a little experiment goin with the cups, and I am gonna give the nutes on the Hoffman's flat a shot. Thanks for reading!

The pic above is the sprayers that I use, they come as a package deal for about $29 and are well worth it. I like the tip that angles sharply and they come with inserts for different spray patterns, the large one is 2 gal and the small is a liter.

In the 2 gal unit I mix 1 tbls fish emulation and 2 tbls cal-mag, using the cone shaped spray insert I try and avoid the foliage but its won't hurt it if you get some on it, I have; with no ill effects.
In the 1 liter sprayer I use 1 tbls epsom with warm water shake well and spray the foliage.

once they dry out being in such a small cell I water twice a day, amount: (enough to soak the soil good) if needed and there will not be a lot of room for airer a dry cell to shriveled dead plant can happen in a matter of 4 or 5 hours, but over all in my case well worth it and to see the difference look at post 37 and 70, same plants once I changed my strategy. http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

Maxsack331 said:

Good to know! I just tried to take a little toothpick and loose it up a little without moving the mix around, just kind of going around the edges and pressing in to get it to break up a little.. which btw, how exactly are you top watering, do you just pour it lightly onto the top, or just spraying with a water bottle until it gets wet..?

and +1 to Matt about the nuts and all that

Hey Max I hope I answerd your q's as well, I was going to suggest to Matt they he take a fork and poke holes next to the seedling to let some air down there, good one.

_ Jeff,

P.S. these are only suggestions,LOL and worked for me with your exact situation, for what its worth.

I actually have a 2 gal sprayer. Used it once, but then went back to bottom watering. I dont have a liter bottle, but I can pick one up later today. I will give it a shot and we shall see if it works for me. The only negative is most of my cotyledons are gone so it may be a tough road to get them enough nutes to grow. But we shall see. It is better than just tossin them. So I will keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

Hey Max I hope I answerd your q's as well, I was going to suggest to Matt they he take a fork and poke holes next to the seedling to let some air down there, good one.

_ Jeff,

P.S. these are only suggestions,LOL and worked for me with your exact situation, for what its worth.

yup thanks, good info.. hopefully my cells dry out soon so I can get that bottom a little more dry and start top watering.. I'm always checking on them a few times a day so it will give me something to do if I can water them with the spray bottle a few times a day/when they need it
I actually have a 2 gal sprayer. Used it once, but then went back to bottom watering. I dont have a liter bottle, but I can pick one up later today. I will give it a shot and we shall see if it works for me. The only negative is most of my cotyledons are gone so it may be a tough road to get them enough nutes to grow. But we shall see. It is better than just tossin them. So I will keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

I had 1 of mine come up without any cotyledons which I thought was really strange especially since I had soaked them for 24 hours in water/and a little hydrogen peroxide.. but it had started to sprout new leaves, but then I went away that weekend and that was one of the seedlings that got fried from drying out lol.. so it COULD have worked... but I screwed them over haha

Great experiment with the soil, even with the water and light
issues the difference is dramatic. The Promix seedlings are awesome!
Thanks for carrying that out.

Back