• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

(Continued)

Ok, now on to Halloween :party:
Weather sucked (raining and windy), so we had to set up inside the garage this year, instead of out in the driveway with the fire pit, Tiki torches, etc. :mope:

On the Menu:
-Brisket
-Pulled Pork
-Turkey Chili w/ Warrant Man's sauces (on the side) ;)
-Cornbread
-Warm Apple Cider w/ Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire
-"Texas Twinkies" :shocked:
-free Bud and Bud Light cans, and Fireball shots for the adults :party:

"Hugz the Clown", aka my father in law, made a special appearance and scared the living shit out of a bunch of people :rofl:
We tied an extension cord around his ankle (under his pants) so it looked like he was an animatronic Halloween decoration, haha!
IMG_9185.JPG

"Hug the clown, and you get a piece of candy, kid!" ;)

Pulled pork
IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9147.JPG

IMG_9153.JPG

Brisket
IMG_9181.JPG

IMG_9196.JPG

IMG_9197.JPG

IMG_9198.JPG

(More to follow)

(Halloween, continued)

Took some of the leftover brisket from the other day and used it in some "Texas Twinkies"
(brisket stuffed, cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and Ancho powder stuffed jalapeños, wrapped in bacon and lightly dusted with BBQ rub)

"Texas Twinkies"
IMG_9137.JPG

IMG_9174.JPG

IMG_9175.JPG

IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9177.JPG

IMG_9178.JPG

I wish I'd taken a better final pic of these, because they were delicious
IMG_9206.JPG

(More to follow)

(Halloween, continued)

Here's a few pics from setting up, earlier in the day
IMG_9191.JPG

IMG_9192.JPG

IMG_9193.JPG

Weather sucked (raining and windy), so we had to set up inside the garage this year, instead of out in the driveway with the fire pit, Tiki torches, etc. :mope:

IMG_9205.JPG

IMG_9204.JPG

IMG_9203.JPG

Despite the crappy weather, we still made it work and we all had a great time! Can't wait until next year, when Halloween is on a Saturday night!

IMG_9194.JPG

Like always, thanks for looking
:cheers:

(Halloween 2018 pics here)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63957-mikeusmc-bury-me-in-smoke/?p=1590889

Damn Mike, you're killing it!! If you're not careful you just might smoke yourself into a job, that food is  :onfire:  and you already have a following.

You need to hand out cards for catering gigs and see where that takes you. 

I'm glad you checked in, I was wondering. Take Care Brother and Happy Holidaze!!!

Walchit said:
Killed it like usual! I saw a post on facebook that asked why there wasnt adult trick or treating, with booze and bbq, I told him I knew a guy, lol
IMG_7626.GIF

Going strong, 4 years in a row, Andy! I actually bought twice the amount of food that I'd cooked, but froze half of it because we weren't expecting as much traffic this year due to the weather. I had a 5lb slab of pork belly that I was gonna make burnt ends out of too. Hopefully the weather's better next year, plus Halloween falls on a Saturday in 2020 :party:

(I almost forgot about this)

I thought I'd taken more pics of this "event" from a few weeks back, but apparently not (shrug). Got invited to a backyard chili cook off at my son's baseball coach's house that he calls "Crocktoberfest," hahaha. He's been hosting this for 12 years in a row, but I'd just found out about it this year. Looking forward to going/competing again next year, since my crockpot of chili didn't make the top 3 :mope: I really thought I was gonna do a lot better because there was a LOT of "buzz" going around about my brisket, pulled pork, pork rib meat, and spicy chorizo chili. Oh well, wish me luck for next year!

This pic was from right when we got there, and there were probably another 10 more crocks set up in addition to these. My personal favorite was a Jamaican Jerk Chicken Chili that (I think) placed 3rd overall
IMG_9124.JPG

My entry (still cooking). I always cube up a block of pepper jack and a block of horseradish cheese (sometimes a block of habanero cheese too), and put them INTO the pot, while it's cooking. That's what those little white cubes are ;)
IMG_9123.JPG

Against my better judgement, I "played it safe" and made more of a traditional chili. Next year, I'm definitely gonna make the green chili I made last year:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63957-mikeusmc-bury-me-in-smoke/?p=1606878

I've never made chicken thighs once in my life, so I guess I should post some of my failures in here too :rofl:

I must've watched 25 videos on "Competition Chicken Thighs" over the weekend, and decided I should give it a shot, just to see how I'd fare. What a freakin pain in the ass these are to prep! Here's a couple of good videos:
Anyway, here we go. I used a combination of techniques in a bunch of the videos, only to find I was in over my head, lol. Forget winning the "Whole Hog" category in a comp; I think the #1 spot should go to whoever the hell has the patience to scrape the fat off the back side of the chicken skin

Total pain in the ass
IMG_9224.JPG

Smoked over lump with a BIG chunk of Pecan wood, and used "Plowboys Yard Bird Rub"
IMG_9234.JPG

IMG_9232.JPG

I deboned them so my wife would eat them too. Next time, I'll definitely leave the bone in because it's practically impossible to inject them the way I did it. Disaster
IMG_9233.JPG

Wrapped back up in the skin and onto the smoker at 300*, uncovered for 30 minutes
IMG_9235.JPG

IMG_9236.JPG

Skins blew apart. Disaster
IMG_9240.JPG

Added a big pad of butter on top of each thigh, then wrapped in foil for 90 minutes
Butter pads slid off IMMEDIATELY. Skins REALLY blew apart. Disaster
IMG_9241.JPG

Glaze... used a combo of these 2 sauces (1cup each) with a few tablespoons of honey
IMG_9231.JPG

I was only able to salvage 2 of the skins out of 9. Disaster :mope:
IMG_9242.JPG

Was very tasty though!
IMG_9246.JPG

IMG_9247.JPG

Had to have a little fun with it ;)
IMG_9243.JPG

IMG_9244.JPG

IMG_9245.JPG

Definitely gonna need a LOT more practice with these!
Thanks for looking

Skin or no, that shi' looks yuuuum-MEE!

I think Jameson is overrated for infusion though. Had a friend off the boat years ago who made all manner of sauces and such with Paddy (The real Paddy, before those damned Americans didled with it)...Cheap blend? Perhaps, but it had the most wonderful undertone to everything it was added to....and it had the added component of being smuggled into the USA...

And yes, of course her name was Colleen....

That Halloween party looked like a good time, especially like those brisket pics...  What do you currently use for probe/meat thermometer?  Just wondering.  Never used one yet, and I'm sick of having some briskets turn out and others sucking.

DownRiver said:
Looks great Mike. You getting ready to jump into the competition pool? :drooling:
I've been thinking about it, Rick ;) Definitely something small, if I can find one - maybe 100 people/teams or less (?). I don't think I'm quite ready for "Memphis in May" yet :rofl:

boutros said:
What do you currently use for probe/meat thermometer?
Last year, for Christmas, my wife got me a Nutrichef Bluetooth grill thermometer, and I'm really happy with it. I think it only comes with 2 probes, but can accommodate 6, so you have to order the other 4 probes separately (I did). It's nice for doing big cooks (multiple pieces of meat). Plus, you can just roll over and look at your phone in the middle of the night, instead of having to go outside and check on everything. It also has alarms you can set, and temperature graphs you can monitor/look back on, which is nice. Very user friendly too :cheers:

Smart Bluetooth BBQ Grill Thermometer - Upgraded Stainless Dual Probes Safe to Leave in Outdoor Barbecue Meat Smoker - Wireless Remote Alert iOS Android Phone WiFi App - NutriChef PWIRBBQ80 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076B36HF9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Xwr1DbGDP7SSK

Back