• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

Rajun Gardener said:
Good Luck!!
Thanks!!! But...

Rajun Gardener said:
If that doesn't work you can try to add the loaded basket then fill around the basket with briquettes to make the snake a little wider. They should light easy and burn about the same.
^ ...you lost me here (?). Not exactly sure what you mean, Rob. You might have to break it down "Barney style" (the purple dinosaur) for me :rofl: I'm a Marine, remember? ;)

:rofl:  :rofl: Put the loaded basket in the firebox then add more briquettes around the basket like a snake on the outside too, that should give you more heat.

Too bad you didn't do a test run to see what temp it runs, I'd think it won't be 250 due to the size of the smoker and the leaks compared to a drum.

Rajun Gardener said:
Updates????
15.5lbs - Out of the package
IMG_9348.JPG

IMG_9349.JPG

Trimmed, and I'm loving this new Dexter boning knife I bought yesterday
IMG_9350.JPG

IMG_9351.JPG

New rub and injection this time. Based on what I've seen online, this stuff's supposed to be really good!
IMG_9335.JPG

IMG_9352.JPG

IMG_9362.JPG

Fire it up
IMG_9353.JPG

IMG_9354.JPG

IMG_9355.JPG

Rajun Gardener said:
:rofl: :rofl: Put the loaded basket in the firebox then add more briquettes around the basket like a snake on the outside too, that should give you more heat.
Ahhhh... I thought that's what you meant, hahaha
IMG_9357.JPG

^ I built that fucker TIGHT though. Not even sure I could fit a briquette on each side :rofl:

Getting a little chilly here already...
IMG_9358.JPG

There was frost forming on the rig when I fired it up, haha!

This is what I'm up against tonight:
IMG_9359.jpg

Brisket's going on right after this beer ;)
IMG_9361.JPG

:beer:

So, at around 12:30am (5 hours in) this is what I had left in the basket:
IMG_9364.JPG

Smoker ended up getting down to 210*, with no signs of getting hotter, so I yanked it out and refilled it. I think it would've held higher temps for much longer if it wasn't 18*F outside at the time. I'm pretty happy with knowing I can "set it and forget" for that long

1am, pork went on. Injected with pineapple juice, cream soda, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sea salt, and mustard powder. Hit with salt, pepper, garlic, then Jess Pryles' pork rub:
IMG_9365.JPG

Around 2:30-2:45am, brisket hit 165* I.T. and the color looked good, so I just wrapped it. I.T. dropped a little during that, but the party I'm going to tomorrow (today, lol) isn't for another 12 hours, so I'm in good shape
IMG_9366.JPG

I've got the alarm set on the pork probe to go off when it hits 160* to check the color and wrap

3am now. All temps looking good :)
IMG_9367.PNG

Gonna take a nap until the pork alarm wakes me up ;)
:cheers:

Rajun Gardener said:
Are up up yet? How's the cook going?
Am I "up yet"?!?! ;)
I couldn't fall asleep until 4am, and woke up at 6:15 when the charcoal started running low again :rofl:

Cook went well though, thanks!
Brisket I.T. hit 192* around 8:30am.

Tried one of Harry Soo's "Blackbelt Tips" and slowly drizzled 1/2 a can of beef broth onto the crust for the resting period...
IMG_9375.JPG

Smelled straight up AMAZEBALLS!!! :party:

Resting in the cooler now, in my trusty Black Label Society blanket ;)
(then wrapped in a moving blanket)
IMG_9376.JPG

IMG_9377.JPG

Pork finished around 8:30 too.
IMG_9369.JPG

My 2 youngest kids, "helping" moisten it for the wrap/rest :)
Added about 1/2 cup of apple juice too:
IMG_9371.JPG

IMG_9372.JPG

"NO! It's MY turn!!! You already had a turn!!!" :rolleyes:

Got the BBQ sauces going on the stove right now; mustard based and a Memphis style:
IMG_9378.JPG

I'll try to get some slicing pics too, but probably won't post them until I get home from the party

Looks great Mike! Mouth watering....

A bit different for my cooks. I'm an old school dude. I never trim the fat. I smoke it fat side up so it renders over the meat. Generally makes a mess at the bottom of the smoker, but the price of doing business. Not knocking anything, just comment from my limited perspective. I may have to give it a go that way... expand my horizons.

Absent that, my vacation may find me at your door in search of cold beer and great food!

WarrantMan said:
Would be fun, but folks are kinda funny... especially wives...

"I said, 'I know... everybody funny... now, you funny too'..." :rofl:

WarrantMan said:
Absent that, my vacation may find me at your door in search of cold beer and great food!
MikeUSMC said:
Reggie, you have a place to stay here any time you're in the area, bud!
^ Offer still stands, Warrant Man! Goes for you too, RG!
That'd be one hell of a weekend! :cheers:
IMG_9388.JPG

Brisket came out a little dry, but the flavor was on point :party:
I really, really liked that Kosmo's rub/injection combo. Supposedly, he makes a killer chicken combo too. It was a tad salty, but not "overly" salty. Next time I do this, I think I'll skip the A.P. (All Purpose - salt, pepper, garlic) rub that I apply before the brisket rub
IMG_9379.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

Point muscle just got chopped up and added to the pan with the sliced flat and the drippings from the wrap
IMG_9381.JPG

Good eatin' last night ;)

Back