• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

Smoked some ribs last weekend :)

First time smoking baby backs because the store was out of St. Louis cut.
There was so much meat on these, I bet I couldve injected them. Next time I do baby backs, Ill definitely inject them

F51D551A-0721-4A9D-A438-9FBA6783E4F7.jpeg

312D122F-E07D-46B2-A9B2-EDDD2E6DB979.jpeg

13D52150-5907-4ACE-B913-0FD9B1A64C77.jpeg

82FA661F-F125-4FC7-967D-95C65CFA756F.jpeg

3887FFCE-1609-4F78-94E9-FD36C96C076D.jpeg

F3380D3C-23C2-4BFA-8CAB-2BBC4571786C.jpeg

Also my first time making beef ribs. I really wanted those huge Dino ribs, but this was all that they had on the shelf. I think Id specifically have to ask the butcher for that cut. Either way, they came out really good. Used a Texas style rub (mostly S&P) with some onion and garlic too, but for the wrapped portion of the cook, I added a bunch of butter pads and a little brown sugar:

544B6786-70E5-4390-9FD8-165EDAD9F073.jpeg

E8CCCBF2-3C66-418B-B0E3-B1FF43C00DBE.jpeg

^ Looking forward to making these again! :cheers:

mlh5953 said:
What type of injection?
I've never injected pork before, and never thought of injecting ribs  :think:
Ive injected pork shoulders a few times, but never ribs.
For shoulders (for pulled pork) I use:

Pork Injection:
2 cups pineapple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dry mustard powder

If I were to inject pork ribs, Id probably swap out the pineapple juice for apple juice, and not sure Id keep the Worcestershire sauce in there. Id probably go with something simple, like: apple juice (cut with water), a little brown sugar, salt, mustard powder. Or, now that Im thinking about it, maybe Id brine them (?). (Ive never done that either) Soaked in a little root beer, salt, and a little BBQ rub... Hmmmm..... so many options ;)
Just baby backs though; I wouldnt brine St. Louis cut

( Just thinking out loud while Im having my coffee here )

DownRiver said:
Look delicious Mike. Now that you've done BB's, do you have a preference? Baby-backs or St. Louis cut?
Thanks, Rick, and definitely St. Louis cut Not that the baby backs werent good, or were dry, but I feel like there was a lot of meat on the bones that was kinda bland. Id say that 80-90% of the flavor was from the rub and glaze. The pork itself was kinda *meh*. With that much meat on the bones, I was really hoping the pork flavor would really shine through. Then again, maybe it was just crappy quality pork! :rofl:
Definitely wont stop me from making them again though

Ashen nailed it a long time ago ;) :

Ashen said:
I forgot that you are a spare rib guy too.

They can keep the baby backs, I will take the ribs right next to the bacon any day.
:cheers:

Ashen said:
Spares/St Louis all day long for me.

I would just buy a piece of bone-in loin or chops instead of baby backs. Basically that is all BB are with most of meat cut away.

Spares/SL is cut off the belly. Add salt/sweet and smoke you are essentially talking bone in fresh bacon . :)
Dude, last time I went meat shopping, they had MASSIVE cuts of pork belly! Im talking (if Im remembering correctly), almost 24 inches long and probably close to 16 inches wide. They had to weigh over 10lbs, and I want to say that it still had the spare ribs attached. I didnt have enough room for one in my freezer the last time I went in there. Next time I go, Ill definitely get a pic... or just buy one

boutros said:
BBQ toolbox? Who in the hell would not love that?
MikeUSMC said:
Im gonna need a bigger toolbox
In other news, one toolbox just wasnt cutting it :party:
038B2456-701B-4404-9429-8DFE73CDE5FA.jpeg

:cheers:

MikeUSMC said:
Dude, last time I went meat shopping, they had MASSIVE cuts of pork belly! Im talking (if Im remembering correctly), almost 24 inches long and probably close to 16 inches wide. They had to weigh over 10lbs, and I want to say that it still had the spare ribs attached. I didnt have enough room for one in my freezer the last time I went in there. Next time I go, Ill definitely get a pic... or just buy one

There are a few places I can get fresh bone in belly here. The Irish have something they call bacon ribs which is basically what it sounds like bacon cured bone in pork belly.

4xo3we0.png

Ashen said:
There are a few places I can get fresh bone in belly here. The Irish have something they call bacon ribs...
Here ya go, Ashen. I didnt pull the trigger on these yesterday, but these are MASSIVE! The rack on top was just under 22 pounds (about 10kg)

97D313B3-409A-44B7-9762-846F696C8D0A.jpeg

The price of meat is freakin astronomical lately :mope:

Bone in pork shoulder was $3.20 per pound!!! :snooty:
Used to be $1.49...

Walchit said:
They are really raping us on hamburger here
Brisket too. Im ashamed to admit that I paid $6.30/lb for one yesterday :mope: When I first got into smoking, I was getting Choice grade brisket for $2.37. It slowly crept up to $3.69 a couple of months ago. I HIGHLY doubt Ill be buying another one anytime soon if the prices stay where they are. I definitely wanted to get one to kick off the Summer for this weekend, but I was cringing while I was at the cash register, lol

At least chicken thighs are still priced normally (around here, anyway). I can still get a pack of 8 or 9 for about $6 :party: The biggest problem is actually finding some, lol

MikeUSMC said:
Smoked some ribs last weekend :)

First time smoking baby backs because the store was out of St. Louis cut.
There was so much meat on these, I bet I couldve injected them. Next time I do baby backs, Ill definitely inject them

attachicon.gif
F51D551A-0721-4A9D-A438-9FBA6783E4F7.jpeg

attachicon.gif
312D122F-E07D-46B2-A9B2-EDDD2E6DB979.jpeg

attachicon.gif
13D52150-5907-4ACE-B913-0FD9B1A64C77.jpeg

attachicon.gif
82FA661F-F125-4FC7-967D-95C65CFA756F.jpeg

attachicon.gif
3887FFCE-1609-4F78-94E9-FD36C96C076D.jpeg

attachicon.gif
F3380D3C-23C2-4BFA-8CAB-2BBC4571786C.jpeg

Also my first time making beef ribs. I really wanted those huge Dino ribs, but this was all that they had on the shelf. I think Id specifically have to ask the butcher for that cut. Either way, they came out really good. Used a Texas style rub (mostly S&P) with some onion and garlic too, but for the wrapped portion of the cook, I added a bunch of butter pads and a little brown sugar:

attachicon.gif
544B6786-70E5-4390-9FD8-165EDAD9F073.jpeg

attachicon.gif
E8CCCBF2-3C66-418B-B0E3-B1FF43C00DBE.jpeg

^ Looking forward to making these again! :cheers:
hey Mike, have you ever had cross cut beef ribs? it`s nor really a cut for the smoker but great on a grill. i learned about this cut many years ago when a portuguese neighbor invited us over for beers and grilling. i think all he had on them was salt but dammm they were delicious. they cook fast on a hot grill like a steak. you would most likely have to ask a butcher to cut it this way for you although i have occasionally have found them on the display shelf. both your pork and your beef ribs look awesome.  :cheers:

edit to add pic   

last-minute_miami_ribs_shutterstock1.jpg

Back