• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Music time

Anyone else REALLY digging the new My Chemical Romance single? Still think he looked way better with long black hair, and the video, whilst good (and eerily reminiscent in a way of Marilyn Manson's Beautiful People, whilst being directed by the guy who did Smells Like Teen Spirit (same chap?)) isn't quite as fun as the one for I'm Not OK. Despite that, the song itself, IMHO, rocks. Big time.

On the flip side of the coin, Mr Brightside by the Killers is one of my favourite songs of the last 5 years (along with Mercy Me by Alkaline Trio). It's a shame, then, that the new single, When You Were Young, has no discernable chorus, and limps along mildly without making you sit up and take note at any point.

But I think Killers fans fall into two camps: those who like their Depeche Mode/ U2 stuff (Amy Was A Friend Of Mine), and those who like their faster, punkier stuff (Brightside).

For the record, I regard U2 as utterly soulless, formulaic rock by numbers. And don't get me started on Coldplay: music for bedwetters.

Shooty* said:
And don't get me started on Coldplay: music for bedwetters.

Well I'll agree with that!

I don't know much about the other stuff. I'm not really into The Killers but all I know is what I've heard on the radio.

My wife took me to see LADYTRON night before last and It was a pretty good show if not my cup of tea. They seem a bit of an 80s throwback to me but I do dig electronic-based music. At times they reminded me of Curve ( but not as good) and even shades of Berlin.

The Stones played here last night. Now I love the stones, especially the 60s and early 70s stuff but there's no way I was going to pay $95 a ticket no matter how many fireworks they set off. 42,000 people did though. I actually considered going when ZZ Top was rumored to be opening because I love ZZ even more than the Stones. But it ended up being Los Lonley Boys...big whup. No thanks.

I'm mostly into heavier stuff, Motorhead being a big favorite. I'm going to see NASHVILLE PUSSY tomorrow night who are another fave and incidentally I saw open for Motorhead a few years back.

I also really dig what's sometimes called "Spacerock" for lack of a better term. Stuff like Hawkwind, Helios Creed/Chrome...etc...but not the overly hippy like stuff.

This time of year I also like to dig into my old punk records and spin some stuff like The Damned and The Misfits to get in mood for Halloween.

woohooo music time.
I like to play the music and have good times
I love to hear the old train rollin down the line.
I am into happy and I dont like sad......

Guess the artist??

Chuk, you've made my very happy by mentioning Curve. No one over here has ever heard of them! Awesome band.

One of the partners at the firm where i work is a big Damned fan. He saw a gig advertised at his local pub recently, for The Damned. He assumed it would be a cover band, but no: it was the real thing. In a pub. Cool.

Where do you stand on the Rancid issue? REal punk or not?

(i'm assuming you reject any notion that the Clash could be considered punk)

Hillbilly Chili said:
woohooo music time.
I like to play the music and have good times
I love to hear the old train rollin down the line.
I am into happy and I dont like sad......

Guess the artist??

Bocephus..of course...:onfire:

Shooty* said:
Where do you stand on the Rancid issue? REal punk or not?

(i'm assuming you reject any notion that the Clash could be considered punk)

Why would the Clash not be considered punk? I'm open to any explanation and I could probably come up with some reasons myself but I do consider them one of the most influential punk bands having a much more lasting influence than the Pistols. They did go off on some tangents toward the end there...but mostly good tangents to these ears.

Some people have a narrow definition of "punk" but to me it could be anything from Patti Smith and The Ramones to The Damned to the Jam to 999 to Wire to Black Flag to going back to The Stooges, Velvet Underground and the MC5. Hell, a friend of mine traces it back to some garage bands in the 50s! Even the Talking Heads were called punk when they first came out...probably just because they were from the same NYC scene as the Ramones and Blondie...etc...and rock writers didn't know what to make of 'em.

As for Rancid, I've not heard much by them but what little I heard sounded like a Clash cover band. Are they good? I have no idea. I pretty much ignored all those Epitaph bands from the 90s and don't have much use for what that stuff degenerated into ( Green Day, Blink 182...etc. ) I call that stuff mall punk. I saw it coming when bands like the Descendants got popular but I don't like it. Too poppy.I like a lot of Pop...just not "punk-pop". Probably me just being a grumpy old fart!

Nope, I'm with you on most of that.

However, Blondie and The Clash are in my view far too pop to be called Punk. Ramones, Damned, black flag, etc, all v good, and there's an anger, an edge, which I understood the whole movement to be about.

The Clash don't seem to have that, that I can see. They're like the Monkees to the Beatles, akin to a marketing mans idea of what a real punk band should be. Like a cross between John Travolta's gang in Grease, and Boyzone. Know what I mean?

Clash is more of a ska band than a punk band. Yeah, they wore the clothes, but had more of a Caribbean flair when it came to music. Don't get me wrong, I like The Clash, but I don't consider them punk. Now, with all this talk of punk music, you all seem to forget the GODS of punk, The Anti-Nowhere League. "So What".

Big Chuk Hell out in the lead with one point. :)

:onfire: Well I tried to make it Sunday, but I got so damned depressed
That I set my sights on Monday and I got myself undressed……

Title and Artist??

Yeah, the Clash moved in that direction to be sure. They wore the reggae and ska influence on their sleeve more than a lot of bands then but it's really hard to understate the influence of reggae/ska on the early punk movement, especially in Britain. John Lydon has talked about this quite a bit. It was a huge influence on the whole scene.

Now when I think of the Clash I think of songs like White Riot, Cheat, I'm so Bored With the USA, Career Opportunities, etc. Stuff from their first couple of albums that did have that anger and edge so I guess that's why I lump 'em into what I call punk...that's my fave stuff by them. But I can see the point you guys make and I won't argue it further.

Like I said, I have pretty broad criteria for what falls into the category of "punk".

Yeah, I wouldn't really call Blondie 'punk" but they did come from that whole NYC scene that was spawned at CBGBs and they had a "punk sensibility" to some of their songs. Pretty subversive for a pop band.

Defcon....ANWL: great band but I've not spent that much time listening to 'em. I think they we're a pretty big influence on my fave Canadian punk band..DOA.

Hillbilly Chili said:
Big Chuk Hell out in the lead with one point. :)

:onfire: Well I tried to make it Sunday, but I got so damned depressed
That I set my sights on Monday and I got myself undressed……

Title and Artist??

I want to say Dan Fogelberg but I don't think that's it. I've heard that song on the radio many times. I survived the 70s. ;)

Anti-Nowhere League were actually a bit on the late side side of the invasion. I frequented CBGB's, the old Ritz, The Dirt Club, etc. during the heydey of the late 70's and very early 80's. Stuff like old Talking Heads, Plasmatics, Ramones, even Devo (the early stuff) etc. were all defintive punk at the time they were on stage. I don't think it was just anger, but more of a movement away from bubblegum pop and disco. The movement took off faster than many expected, and lasted for the most part thru the 80's. The 90's, the decade of no originality did nothing but use the riffs and beats of other stuff, throw in some angry voices and sampling machines, and call it 'new'. I feel mid to late punk and 'New Wave' were on a collision course, and kind of separated into 2 different groups. Off of punk split the metal scene, and off of new wave split the club/house music, Top 40 stuff of the 80's. Ahhhh, the days of slam-dancing (not moshing) in the Ritz in spike-clad arms and boots, swinging the night away, and enjoying the carnage that everyone was sometimes part of. Sigh...

I worked with Psycadelic Furs in the european tour long time ago and their early music was totally punk...before they brought in keabords...

DEFCON Creator said:
Anti-Nowhere League were actually a bit on the late side side of the invasion. I frequented CBGB's, the old Ritz, The Dirt Club, etc. during the heydey of the late 70's and very early 80's. Stuff like old Talking Heads, Plasmatics, Ramones, even Devo (the early stuff) etc. were all defintive punk at the time they were on stage. I don't think it was just anger, but more of a movement away from bubblegum pop and disco. The movement took off faster than many expected, and lasted for the most part thru the 80's. The 90's, the decade of no originality did nothing but use the riffs and beats of other stuff, throw in some angry voices and sampling machines, and call it 'new'. I feel mid to late punk and 'New Wave' were on a collision course, and kind of separated into 2 different groups. Off of punk split the metal scene, and off of new wave split the club/house music, Top 40 stuff of the 80's. Ahhhh, the days of slam-dancing (not moshing) in the Ritz in spike-clad arms and boots, swinging the night away, and enjoying the carnage that everyone was sometimes part of. Sigh...

Now you gotta rap Creator..hahaha :onfire:

marcosauces said:
Now you gotta rap Creator..hahaha :hell:

The Defcon Continuum knows no music called 'rap', because there IS NO "music" called rap, just sampling machines, drum machines, voice-overs, stolen melodies, oh yeah, and some pseudo bi-ped attempting to speak about nothing important.

DEFCON Creator said:
The Defcon Continuum knows no music called 'rap', because there IS NO "music" called rap, just sampling machines, drum machines, voice-overs, stolen melodies, oh yeah, and some pseudo bi-ped attempting to speak about nothing important.
Hear Hear! Ahmen to that!

And by the way..."Drum Machines Have No Soul"...

DEFCON Creator said:

LOL.. but the scary thing is that most of the new generation all goes down that way :hell:
Rock still alive until WE ARE ALIVE..!!!! no giving up...

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second...

While some rap is about senseless violence, drug use, and all the other negative aspects of "street life", sadly it does relate to a percentage of society. Rap started out intelligent, it was a form of expression that spoke to the tenants of the ghetto, from the tenants of the ghetto. It was observational social commentary, and it led people to believe they had a voice, and that someone may hear it.

Sadly, it has turned into simply an ode to money, sex, drugs, and glorified violence for the most part.

I personally can't stand rap because I don't relate to it, just like I don't relate to country music. Put at one point it did have intellectual and social merit.

*Goes back to designing my Dream Theater tattoo*

Back